Author Topic: HuCard games on CD  (Read 3382 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: HuCard games on CD
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 07:42:12 PM »
I may take up the task of doing music for a game or 2 on this.  Still thinking of which ones I'd like to redo the music on.  I think the one thing that kind of hinder's me, is that I wish we could not only add cd tracks, but update the graphics, add paralax, etc.  I'm thinking of either Dragon's Curse, or the english version of Bikkuriman World.  However, I don't want to take on too many projects all at once.

FM-77

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 02:49:48 AM »
Does Dragon's Curse work for anyone using Super Hucard? It sort of works for me, but whenever I enter a house in the village - it crashes.

nat

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 04:31:45 AM »
Does Dragon's Curse work for anyone using Super Hucard? It sort of works for me, but whenever I enter a house in the village - it crashes.

As I played more of the titles last night, I found this seems to be really common.

I haven't tried Dragon's Curse specifically, but Pac-Land and Galaga '90 jump instantly to mind. With the latter, you can play fine until you reach a warp. Then it freezes and crashes.

It's like they made some tweaks to the addressing so that the games would actually start up, then played 2 minutes worth of the game, saw all was well and then moved on without actually playing through. Oh, well, it's "by the fans, for the fans" so I guess I can't complain.

nat

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
Malducci, never mind about patching WBML. I'm an idiot. There's already a patched version on there under a cryptic abbreviation. Although after the second level the translation text becomes gibberish.

So today I sat down and played like 95% of the games on the Super HuCard disc. About 90% of them either don't work at all or crash/have graphics glitches like Seldane described. I only played a handful that I couldn't find anything wrong with. And I'm willing to bet that's only because I didn't play them long enough.

Definitely a work in progress-- although it's nice to see that it CAN be done. Looks like it would take a lot of work to get everything running perfectly, though.

Something I found humorous: the Gunhead Special Caravan cart is on there three times under three different names. Somebody spent a lot of time making sure no player would miss this one.

EDIT: The last release was nearly four years ago. I think it's safe to assume it's been abandoned and this Benjamin Quinn isn't going to be doing any more work on it. A shame, really.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:33:03 PM by nat »

malducci

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 06:45:19 PM »

this Benjamin Quinn isn't going to be doing any more work on it. A shame, really.

Benjamin Quinn is busy working on other stuff at the moment (/me chuckles to himself). Though I'm not sure he'll return to work on the super hucard project again. It was more of a proof of concept. The reason why most of the games crash is because not all the of hucard bank swapping instructions were not converted to CDRAM(yes CDRAM) usage. It would require a lot of work to finish the project.

Trying to do all those games at once must have been a huge undertaking. Anyway, did you still want the Salamander patch?

Nat, if you open the superhucard iso with a hexeditor - look at address 0x44c960 (that's were the Gunhed special rom is located) for something really interesting.

FM-77

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 12:13:07 AM »
Now I'm super curious, but not enough to locate, download and check the file. :oops:

nat

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 04:36:12 AM »
Anyway, did you still want the Salamander patch?

Yes, please!

Nat, if you open the superhucard iso with a hexeditor - look at address 0x44c960 (that's were the Gunhed special rom is located) for something really interesting.

I'll do it when I get home.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »
Now I'm super curious, but not enough to locate, download and check the file. :oops:

Same here, share this with us Mal!

nat

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 05:12:48 PM »
Woah.. What the f*ck IS that? Is that text in the actual Gunhed Caravan ROM?

What's the text from?

malducci

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
 The rom has the US NES game/rom Tombs and Treasures in it :shock:

It isn't too supprising to see other games data mixed into a rom or even a CD image. They must start with existing projects or something, but what is weird is that a US rom contents for another system is in a japanese PC Engine rom :shock:

It was mentioned before that Hudson of Japan was in charge of the US release/translation of Ys I & II CD for NEC at the time, so maybe Hudson took on other subcontracts to translate games for NES - US. I can't think of any other reason why an US game is in a japanese Gunhed rom.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:28:57 PM by malducci »

esteban

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 03:54:17 AM »

It isn't too supprising to see other games data mixed into a rom or even a CD image. They must start with existing projects or something, but what is weird is that a US rom contents for another system is in a japanese PC Engine rom :shock:

It was mentioned before that Hudson of Japan was in charge of the US release/translation of Ys I & II CD for NEC at the time, so maybe Hudson took on other subcontracts to translate games for NES - US. I can't think of any other reason why an US game is in a japanese Gunhed rom.
Wow, that is wacky. :)
  |    | 

malducci

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 06:32:10 AM »
 Here's the Salamander patch.

Note: this is for the ISO version. www.zeograd.com has the newest version of the ISO btw. Look under goodies (you'll find patches for Alshark and Banaza Bros. to run on US systems too).

« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:36:55 AM by malducci »

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »

Wow, that is wacky. :)
Indeed! I'm always interested in this kind of stuff. This example is just too weird!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 07:40:17 AM »
Maybe the ROM was modified by someone for some reason. Anybody got a clean dump to compare with?

nat

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
Hey Malducci, I meant to ask you before you posted up the Salamander patch...

Any chance of patching Shanghai with the English menu translation? Shanghai seems to be one of the very few games on the Super HuCard that works 100%.