Author Topic: So why no TurboGrafx 16 / PC Engine collection for the PSP yet?  (Read 828 times)

jimid2

well, this is kinda, almost, sorta VC related... I mean, if Hudson are pumping out games for the VC, why haven't they gone on to support the PSP as well? I'm a big PSP fan - just finishing Final Fantasy VIII up on mine at the moment, in fact - and I've been really happy with a number of the retro compilations that have been released for the system to date. The Genesis and Activision collections especially get a lot of play time, though the Gradius, Power Stone and Metal Slug collections are also in constant rotation... Now, I can understand why we haven't seen any SNES collections released on the PSP yet  :roll: but why wouldn't Hudson jump on the chance to get a bunch of their old games out on a UMD cart for us? Especially since they've clearly got some people working on emulated versions for the VC, anyway? You'd think the licensing issues would be virtually non-existent for them - so why no TG16 Collection for the PSP? Maybe we should start a petition or something  :dance:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:41:36 AM by jimid2 »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: So why no TurboGrafx 16 / PC Engine collection for the PSP yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 04:14:24 AM »
No PSP compilations for the same reason there wasn't any for the Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GBA, DS, Xbox 360, or PS3.  I can't explain Hudson's reasoning, but it's partly responsible for the healthy success of the TG-16 on the Virtual Console.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:20:02 AM »
Me and my crack team of investigators posed this question to our inside man at Hudson Entertainment. This is what he had to say:

"To be perfectly honest, it's because the PSP is known to lick putrid scrotum tumors (resembling walnuts) while gagging on rat feces."

Short and sweet, but certainly to the point. Thanks, Tim.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:15:42 PM »
Its because Hudson would rather us support the game company who outlived them in the 90's

GUTS

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »
It's probably because Hudson is run by the type of dumbasses who would green-light games like Bomberman 360.

Dark Fact

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 04:52:49 PM »
So Hudson is nitpicking? :-k

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:25:23 AM »
Because most retro sets are marketed by nostalgia over here and noone thinks that enough people have enough fond memories of a brand that never sold well enough in the first place.

And any set that're console based would usually be put out by the owner of the rights a slew of titles for the format. In this case, it'd most lekely be Hudson before anyone else.

And since Hudson never put out any retro sets at all before this digital marketplace bullshit took off, There is every incentive for them to not to sell any classics compilations since they're raking in the big bucks selling them one rom at a time without having the risks of marketing, manufacturing or physical distribution.

The question now is, will we ever see another hardcopy retro set ever again?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
Yes. I believe we well. It will be a retro "Retro Classics" collection for the PS4 and GameOctagon.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 05:39:32 PM »
:lol:  GameOctagon  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

2X4

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 02:21:38 AM »
No game Octagon.  Nintendo's next system will be a fluffy pink turd with big blinky eyes that asks you to be it's friend.  The games will be printed on mini 8 track tapes wich you will insert in his ass.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
Nintendo's next console will rip off what ever is popular in design. Right now all there designs resemble something that apple would make. When i saw the ds lite, I thought it was the bastard child of the macbook and the ipod  :lol:

jimid2

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
The question now is, will we ever see another hardcopy retro set ever again?
You know, that's a damned good question... I gotta admit it never occurred to me before what the success of the VC could mean for the retro collections market - kinda gives me a shiver. I like the hardcopy collections for lots of reasons; partly because I'm old school and like to actually have a physical thing I can hold in my hands in exchange for my hard-earned cash, and partly because publishers tend to drop their collections across a multitude of consoles, and since I'm almost exclusively a handheld gamer, that's good for me. Even though I've owned a GP2X for about a year now, I still invest in all the collections that come out for the PSP and DS, because I'm acquisitive and I want to encourage the release of more of them, and I like the special features (the Sega Genesis and the Activision Hits Remixed Collections on the PSP are great examples of how to do retro right!)... It'd be a shame if the VC killed off collections entirely, imho...

Nintendo's next console will rip off what ever is popular in design. Right now all there designs resemble something that apple would make. When i saw the ds lite, I thought it was the bastard child of the macbook and the ipod  :lol:
Absolutely! That's one of the reasons I love it! It fits right in with my tech style...  8)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:38:32 PM by jimid2 »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 04:32:17 PM »

jimid2

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »
jimid2:

http://www.gp2x.com/
http://gp2x.co.uk/

Thank me later.

Thanks Kits' - I've been to those sites... I actually spend quite a bit of time on http://www.gp32x.com/

It was the PCE emulation on the GP2X that got me wanting some of the original TG16 hardware and games, again... It's funny, because I owned all the systems back in the day, including the 3DO and the Neo Geo AES, a Sega CD and 32X, etc. etc., but it was the TurboGrafx/Duo that has the greatest hold on me today... rose colored glasses? good taste? who knows... But I do love having the actual TurboExpress hardware in my hands again, while I'm perfectly happy playing Garou Mark of the Wolves and Samouri Showdown in emulation on my GP2X

Kitsunexus

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »
Ahh, so if you have a GP2X why would you want a PSP version? The controls are much better on the GP2X and the PSP emulation wouldn't be terribly different.