Author Topic: PC-FXGA Videos  (Read 1227 times)

sabre470

PC-FXGA Videos
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:19:04 AM »
Hello all,

Long time no post!!!

I have just restarted to use my PC-FXGA DOS/V board, I got it hooked up to a capture card, and I started making videos of games, demos and 3D movies rendered with the board.

You can see the first 2 videos on my blog http://sabre470.wordpress.com.

More to follow in the coming weeks.

Enjoy

Sabre
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
http://cdromrom.wordpress.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PC-FXGA Videos
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:39:56 AM »
Rather primitive, yet interesting 3D - thanks for sharing.  Am I correct in assuming that these are using the 6273 in the FXGA?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

sabre470

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:51:29 AM »
Rather primitive, yet interesting 3D - thanks for sharing.  Am I correct in assuming that these are using the 6273 in the FXGA?

Yep very primitive 3D, and yes it uses the 6273 chip.

I'll be posting some more videos later that show better use of the chip.

Sabre
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

FM-77

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:46:14 AM »
I just need this clarified- I've heard the PC-FXGA thing lets you play PC-FX games on your computer without actually having a PC-FX console. Is this correct? If so- does it work well? Slowdown? Anything like that? Do you need a "powerful" computer  (powerful for being a computer with an ISA slot, hehehe) in order for the software (games) to run as fast as on a real PC-FX console?

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »
Awesome, awesome videos, thanks for sharing them! I assume there is no sound for them, right? I look forward to any other material you post.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sabre470

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »
I just need this clarified- I've heard the PC-FXGA thing lets you play PC-FX games on your computer without actually having a PC-FX console. Is this correct? If so- does it work well? Slowdown? Anything like that? Do you need a "powerful" computer  (powerful for being a computer with an ISA slot, hehehe) in order for the software (games) to run as fast as on a real PC-FX console?

Absolutely you can play PC-FX games on the card without the need for the console. It works really well, the card has the same hardware than in regular PC-FX therefore there are no slowdowns, actually loading time are faster on a PC thanks to faster CDROM drives. You don't necessarily need a powerful PC, I guess an old Pentium would do the trick. I am using a Pentium 2 266 Mhz with 64 meg of RAM. One thing you have to understand is that there is no emulation involved here, everything is processed on the card, it's all as fast as on a real FX. The PC is basically used to load data into the card.

Awesome, awesome videos, thanks for sharing them! I assume there is no sound for them, right? I look forward to any other material you post.

Thanks, there is no sound for the 2 movies because its' only a graphical demo, the new batch of video I am preparing will have sound.

Stay tuned

Sabre
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

nat

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
So if I understand this right, the PC-FXGA has a 3D graphics chip that the actual PC-FX lacks?

Therefor, these demos would not be playable on an actual PC-FX, correct?

Mednafen

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:15:16 PM »
Does Battle Heat work using the FXGA?

sabre470

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:44:49 PM »
So if I understand this right, the PC-FXGA has a 3D graphics chip that the actual PC-FX lacks?

Therefor, these demos would not be playable on an actual PC-FX, correct?

You are absolutely right, I guess the 3d chips on the PC-FXGA was intended to be an addon later on for the PC-FX but NEC decided otherwise.

I have two 3D games that are on CD, Nnyu and SameGameFX and they do work in the PC-FX, meaning the CD boots, but you can only hear the sound on your TV, no image is displayed due to the lack of 3D Chip. But at one point they were intended to work on real PC-FX with the ill-fated 3D adapter.

Does Battle Heat work using the FXGA?

Yep Battle Heat works like a charm in fact all PC-FX are compatible with the card, though I've only tested the ones I own.

Sabre
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic

Mednafen

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 05:44:36 PM »
How do you know they all work if you haven't tested them?

td741

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »
You are absolutely right, I guess the 3d chips on the PC-FXGA was intended to be an addon later on for the PC-FX but NEC decided otherwise.

Too bad these things are hard to come by, it would have been interesting to see if someone could hack attempt to hack the 3D chips inside actual PC-FX hardware and be software compatibile to Nnyu and SameGameFX.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:14:30 AM »
Do you need a "powerful" computer?

The minimum requirement was a 486DX-33mhz, which was a pretty modest system by '95.

How do you know they all work if you haven't tested them?

Do you have to test every single PC-FX disc to know that they will work in a PC-FX?  The PC-FXGA cards are essentially all of the PC-FX components on a single card and only use the computer to feed code to the card.  They were meant for developers, so compatibility with stand alone hardware can reasonably be expected.  That being said, there could always be the exception that proves the rule.

Mednafen

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
Do you have to test every single PC-FX disc to know that they will work in a PC-FX?  The PC-FXGA cards are essentially all of the PC-FX components on a single card and only use the computer to feed code to the card.  They were meant for developers, so compatibility with stand alone hardware can reasonably be expected.  That being said, there could always be the exception that proves the rule.
The assumption that all "PC-FX" games will work on a "PC-FX" is more valid than they will all work on a "PC-FXGA".  The PC-FXGA uses a different BIOS and uses somewhat different hardware registers for some functions.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »
True enough, but I still believe that it is reasonable to expect 100% compatibility.  We're not talking about home brewed or gray market crap here; it's official hardware intended for development.  The point is that the PC-FXGA cards should be 100% compatible, but sometimes should doesn't happen (e.g. PCE-CD Altered Beast).  This doesn't mean that all untested games should be assumed to be incompatible.

malducci

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
We're not talking about home brewed or gray market crap here

see here:
The PC-FXGA uses a different BIOS and uses somewhat different hardware registers for some functions.

No one is *assuming* any untested PC-FX games are incompatible with the PC-FGXA, just don't *assume* that all of them are 100% compatible. A PC-FX is not a PC-FXGA in a clam bake  :wink: