Author Topic: Is the PC engine/turbografx consoles the defenitive platform for shmups??  (Read 4037 times)

Keranu

I love Genesis shooters (TF series can massage my e-balls though), I wouldn't place them far behind Turbo ones. I even think SNES shooters are underrated, but it's definitely behind Turbo and Genny.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

The Genesis was for platformers and sports games. End of story. :P It is not now, nor will it ever be, renowned for its wide selection of quality shooters.

Uh, maybe not in whatever circle you run with, but the Genesis is definitely known as being a great system for shooters.  Games like the Thunder Forces, MUSHA, and Gaiares are definitely well known among (and revered by) most fans of old-school shooters. 

And while I like Dead Moon, I'm afraid there's no way in hell it's of the same caliber as games like Lightening Force and Wings of Wor.  Put forth that assertion in a conversation among knowledgeable shooter players and you'd be considered insane.  DM probably wouldn't even crack my top 25 PCE/Turbo shooters and is hardly an exemplary representative of what the system has to offer in the genre.     
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nodtveidt

It's all about the cliques, ain't it? :roll: You took what I said out of context, completely ignoring what I said afterwards. Nice. That irritates the hell outta me. :P Now go back and read it again!

Personally, I found the Thunder Force games to be extremely boring. MUSHA isn't bad, Gaiares is decent but I wouldn't be writing home about it. But I could care less what a bunch of so-called "old-school" geeks think. I much prefer to play Dead Moon over any Genesis shooter I've ever played, and I don't give a damn if the swab-geeks think I'm insane.

Yeah...I'm cranky right now. :P Don't mind me.

Keranu

I agree with nod and I generally don't hear the Genesis being regarded as a system known for shooters, but like I said I love the it's library for them. When I hear people talking about Genesis' software strengths, it's always platform and sports, or less specifically "action games".
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

But I could care less what a bunch of so-called "old-school" geeks think. I much prefer to play Dead Moon over any Genesis shooter I've ever played, and I don't give a damn if the swab-geeks think I'm insane.

You're the one who used the term "renowned," chief.   
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SuperDeadite

If I could only have 3 "shmup consoles" they would be:
1. PCE
2. Saturn
3. PS2

The PCE is the best due to its arcade ports AND exculsive shmups.  Next comes the Saturn with all those great arcade shooters from the '90's.  It totally lacks any real exclusive shmups though.  Finally the PS2 is the system to have for your modern day manic bullet hell arcade shmups.

I like the Dreamcast, but its shooter library is vastly overated.  Most of the better shooters on Dreamcast have superior versions on other consoles. Also it completely lacks games made by Cave, which is sadly the only really good shooter developer left these days.  :(

The Dreamcast, Genesis, NeoGeo, and PS1 all have some great shooters on them, but they are greatly outclassed by a PCE-Sat-PS2 combo.  The Windows PC is also home to some great exclusive shmups such as the "Touho" series (www.shrinemaiden.org).
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

Like GUTS said - PCE for old school shmups, Saturn (or Dreamcast) for bullet hell shmups.
don't forget about the PSX.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

FM-77

What's up with this? Not a single shooter-maniac in the world ever shuts up about the Mega Drive! It's most certainly famous for its shooters. Very famous. I'd say the Mega Drive is most famous for shooters, RPGs second.

guyjin

Are there any shmups for the Neo geo? I can't remember any off the top of my head...
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

termis

Are there any shmups for the Neo geo? I can't remember any off the top of my head...

I thought it had a few decent ones -- the later Aero Blasters, Ghost Pilots, Strikers 1945, and the one I really liked was Last Resort.

I'm sure there's a couple more, though I dunno if anything else is good.

esteban

I love PCE & Mega Drive shoot-em-ups. MD is a close second to PCE.

That said, I think that the venerable famicom had a bunch of great shoot-em-ups as well. I speak the truth.
  |    | 

FM-77

I've yet to play even a decent Famicom shooter. I've tested many.

Black Tiger

What's up with this? Not a single shooter-maniac in the world ever shuts up about the Mega Drive! It's most certainly famous for its shooters. Very famous. I'd say the Mega Drive is most famous for shooters, RPGs second.

I guess that the euro Mega Drive got some majorly different releases than the North American Genesis, because over here, its definitely never been known mainly as an RPG console, let alone for shooters(not that people think that its lacking them either).

It seems to me that the Genesis started out as a console known for arcade ports and went on to gain a wide ranging library dominated by various style action oriented games and sports.

After the PCE CD-ROM took off, regardless of all the great games for the console, its always been known for shooters and RPGs. Not every console gets labelled for being strong in a particular genre, but the PCE did.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

I'm pretty sure Seldane is just pulling our chain with the RPG comment because that's a genre the Genesis is commonly regarded as weak in and it's library proves it too :D .

FM-77

No I'm not pulling anything. I'm serious. And you're the FIRST person I've EVER heard say the Mega Drive is weak for RPGs. FIRST! I'm also going to say: you're crazy. :P