Author Topic: Is the PC engine/turbografx consoles the defenitive platform for shmups??  (Read 4036 times)

Keranu

Well I'm serious and you're the FIRST person I've EVER heard say the Genesis is strong for RPGs  :mrgreen: .

By weak, I don't mean the quality isn't good, but rather the quantity of RPGs for the console is weak, at least compared to some other consoles of the time. Usually when people mention RPGs for Genesis, it's usually goes "Phantasy Star II - IV and uh..." :D
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

RPGs and action adventure games, all of which are PERFECT GAMES:

Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV (probably the best real RPG released in the 16-bit era)
The Story of Thor (Oasis-something in America)
Soleil (Crusader of Centy in America) (the best action adventure game ever produced- PERIOD!!)
Landstalker (2nd best action adventure. Um, period too.)
Light Crusader (more of a puzzle game, but still awesome)
Shining in the Holy Ark (better than most 1st person dungeon crawlers!)
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Traysia
Sword of Vermilion
Wonder Boy in Monster World (original=better)
Ys III: Wanderers From Ys (best console port, all fanboyism aside)
Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi "Beggar Prince" (buggy, but still a DAMN solid game)

Then there's many ÜBER-QUALITY RPGs released for the Mega-CD. These must be counted, but I will not do it because I am lazy/don't care.

These are just some English games I can think of. There are like a million of them in Japanese. I will not be listing those.

SuperDeadite

Among others the Neo Geo has Pulstar and Blazing Star.  They are both quite good, Blazing Star is a must play.  Probably one of the few games to really utilize the Neo's power.  Give it a try on MAME, its really fun and looks fantastic.  NeoGeo also has Viewpoint, a nice looking game that's not for the easily frustrated.  :mrgreen:
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Keranu

RPGs and action adventure games, all of which are PERFECT GAMES:

Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV (probably the best real RPG released in the 16-bit era)
The Story of Thor (Oasis-something in America)
Soleil (Crusader of Centy in America) (the best action adventure game ever produced- PERIOD!!)
Landstalker (2nd best action adventure. Um, period too.)
Light Crusader (more of a puzzle game, but still awesome)
Shining in the Holy Ark (better than most 1st person dungeon crawlers!)
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Traysia
Sword of Vermilion
Wonder Boy in Monster World (original=better)
Ys III: Wanderers From Ys (best console port, all fanboyism aside)
Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi "Beggar Prince" (buggy, but still a DAMN solid game)
I was referring to standard turn-based RPGs, but I think even with action RPGs it doesn't have many. Also I strongly consider Shining Force and SF2 as strategy RPGs. And I assume you meant Shining in the Darkness instead of Holy Ark, both of which are great games by the way.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

The best shooter system, IMO, is probably Saturn. Not just because of RS, but also DoDonPachi, the Gradius, Salamander, and Parodius packs, Thundeforce V, Batsugun, etc.

The DC shooters are nice, but most of them are all from the same era, and have the same bullet hell style. The PCE has a lot of shooters, but they are also from the same era for the most part. The Saturn has the best range of shooter styles, IMO.

Certainly any shooter fan will have all three systems though.

TR0N

Among others the Neo Geo has Pulstar and Blazing Star.  They are both quite good, Blazing Star is a must play.  Probably one of the few games to really utilize the Neo's power.  Give it a try on MAME, its really fun and looks fantastic.  NeoGeo also has Viewpoint, a nice looking game that's not for the easily frustrated.  :mrgreen:
I can recomend those shmups as well for the neo i have them.

Pulstar:One of the best r-type clones i've ever played beside being pattern based.

Blazeing Star:Pretty good shooter not to hard to beat.. with it's unlimted continues unless your trying to 1cc it.

View Point:One of the hardest shmups i've ever played on my, NeoGeo. Still i keep trying since, it has a great soundtrack beside the way the game is set.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

The best shooter system, IMO, is probably Saturn. Not just because of RS, but also DoDonPachi, the Gradius, Salamander, and Parodius packs, Thundeforce V, Batsugun, etc.

in that case, it have to be the PS2, since it not just plays its own shooters, but also the whole and huge PSone repertoire!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

Are there any shmups for the Neo geo? I can't remember any off the top of my head...

Pulstar and Blazing Star are both amazing. They need to be seen to be believed. I like the Areofighters games quite a  bit, and also Prehistoric Isle too. Last Resort is very good, although probably too hard to actually play.

SignOfZeta

If I could only have 3 "shmup consoles" they would be:
1. PCE
2. Saturn
3. PS2

PS2? Seriously? Well I guess the Cave factor is huge, but does it make up for the fact that the number of shooters on PS2 isn't very large, and most of them are on DC?

Tatsujin

PS2? Seriously?

PS2 = PS2 & PSone :idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

Bump! I can't beleave nobody recomend Twinklestar Sprites for the Neo.

Sure it can be found on the, Saturn and the DC.. but least it's in english for the NeoGeo.

Still TSS is more fun when it's a 2p match.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

I'd like to say that Aero Blasters is not a Neo Geo game.

I'd also like to say that magazines like EGM and GamePro used to BITCH CONSTANTLY back in the day with quips like "Another shooter for the Genesis" or "I wish the Genesis would release a game that wasn't a shooter" (I'm paraphrasing, but they really did bitch about the Genesis having too many shooters, and this was before games like Lightening Force came out).

Lastly I'd like to say that Wings of Wor is vastly underrated.  This game kicks ass!

Kitsunexus

Among others the Neo Geo has Pulstar and Blazing Star.  They are both quite good, Blazing Star is a must play.  NeoGeo also has Viewpoint, a nice looking game that's not for the easily frustrated.  :mrgreen:

Yes and yes.

BTW, the ultimate system for SHMUPs is the PC, because if you name it, it's most likely emulated.

runinruder

Lastly I'd like to say that Wings of Wor is vastly underrated.  This game kicks ass!

Hell yeah, it's definitely one of my favorite shooters.  Brilliant soundtrack, LOTS of bullets, and stage 5 is absolutely freakin' unforgettable. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

Blazing Star is the greatest horizontal shooter ever created.  That game is pure brilliance in every possible way.