Author Topic: Is the PC engine/turbografx consoles the defenitive platform for shmups??  (Read 4034 times)

RCduck7

Here and there i heard and read the pc engine is mostly known for it's good shoot' em ups.
From my experience it certainly felt that way, but what do you think?

The genesis has also a lot of wonderfull shmups like thruxton, the thunder force series,...

The saturn has radiant silvergun which is one of the most loved and lots of others.

In it's late years the Dreamcast still keeps pumping out shmups now and then, trigger heart excelica, ikagura, zerogunner 2, castle shikigami, borderdown,...
don't be human... be peacefull

GUTS

It depends on the type of shooter you like.  If you prefer bullet hell shooters then the Dreamcast or Saturn is Lord almighty, if you prefer old school shooters then the PC Engine is the king (with Genesis coming in a close second).  Personally, I prefer old school shooters so PCE is the definitive platform.

termis

The Saturn, Genesis, PCE all seemed to have a good selection of shooters.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd choose the Genesis between the three.

RCduck7

A bullet rain shooter like on the dreamcast can be fun but can feel in my opinion a bit soulless sometimes i guess.
I like the feeling like you can avoid any attack when your good in a game.
So, maybe we can count dreamcast or saturn out as the definitive shooter platform??
These 2 types of shmups are not really comparable eh?

I think the fight is between genesis and PCE in my opinion. :)
don't be human... be peacefull

FM-77

Naw, X68000 wins this one. :P

Tatsujin

catch'em all!! :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Like GUTS said - PCE for old school shmups, Saturn (or Dreamcast) for bullet hell shmups.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

Turbo for me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

PCE without question, and that's not brand loyalty either. While the Genesis did get a few, most were pretty bland and uninspired. I think Lords of Thunder was the only shooter I enjoyed on the Genesis, and hell, it doesn't even compare to the PCE original by a long shot. If the Genesis had gotten games the caliber of Gate of Thunder, Dead Moon, Soldier Blade, or even Blazing Lasers, then it might have something to show for...

Black Tiger

The PC Engine has quantity of quality as well as quantity in general.

Whether you only like to play good shooters or like me, you can appreciate less than perfect games, the PCE wins either way.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

runinruder

People are really shortchanging the Genesis here.  Thunder Force 2+4, Wings of Wor, Elemental Master, MUSHA, Bio-hazard Battle, Gaiares, and Sagaia are all good shooters, and some of them are just as good as anything the Duo has.  If you include CDs and imports, you have even more quality entries, like Robo Aleste and Gleylancer.  Yes, the Duo kills it by virtue of outnumbering it by a vast margin, but the Genesis is a more-than-respectable second.  
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

Yeah, the Genesis is underrated in this thread.  Here's some awesome Genesis shooters:

Thunder Force 2 - (I don't care what any of you pusses say, I like the overhead stages!)
Thunder Force 3
Thunder Force 4 - (Got balls?)
Gaiares - (I can beat this.  Bet you can't).
Elemental Master
MUSHA - (Hell yeah!)
Bio Hazard Battle - (Weird but still great)
Wings of Wor - (Almost qualifies as "bullet hell")
Gleylancer
Robo Aleste - (Sega CD, spiritual successor to MUSHA)
Super Fantasy Zone - (oh HELL yeah!)

Some honorable mentions:

Fire Shark
Task Force Harrier EX
Verytex
Whip Rush

My fave shooters on the TG-16 are:

Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Aero Blasters
and I guess Blazing Lazers, even though that gets boring really fast.

Black Tiger

People are really shortchanging the Genesis here.  Thunder Force 2+4, Wings of Wor, Elemental Master, MUSHA, Bio-hazard Battle, Gaiares, and Sagaia are all good shooters, and some of them are just as good as anything the Duo has.  If you include CDs and imports, you have even more quality entries, like Robo Aleste and Gleylancer.  Yes, the Duo kills it by virtue of outnumbering it by a vast margin, but the Genesis is a more-than-respectable second.  

Only one person said anything bad about the Genesis and one other picked it over the PCE.  :wink:

Although I haven't played through most Genesis shooters(or most of any other non-PCE console's), I'd pick it as second best since I prefer shooters from that era and like how the hardware compliments the genre.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

runinruder

Only one person said anything bad about the Genesis

Oh, yeah.

But it was one too many!   :wink:
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nodtveidt

The Genesis was for platformers and sports games. End of story. :P It is not now, nor will it ever be, renowned for its wide selection of quality shooters. Yes, more than respectable second amongst its generation and generations prior, but second nonetheless, and the topic of this thread is about whether or not the PCE is the definitive platform for shmups, not whether the Genesis is or not.