Author Topic: Devil's Crush "censored"?  (Read 804 times)

pixeljunkie

Devil's Crush "censored"?
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:56 AM »
Noticed the little  stars [little jewish stars of david lookin' things] were replaced with triangles on the VC version.  :-k

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Devil's Crush "censored"?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:03:54 AM »
"Oh no!  A Star of David!  This just proves that the damn Jews are the root of all evil."
        - Mel Gibson

That is extra ghey - wasn't it already mildly censored when brought to the TG-16? 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »
Once again, nintendo has ruined a game for the U.S. with censorship  :x

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:23:11 PM »
The pentagram on the main board of the PCE version got turned into something generic for the Turbo version.

I'm guessing that all that got changed for the VC version is the little 'star of david's.

Once again, nintendo has ruined a game for the U.S. with censorship  :x

I don't think that the overall aesthetic or gameplay will be ruined by a few triangles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 01:58:46 PM »
Very interesting, thanks for making this topic! I don't get why they would remove that, did they not want to make Judaism look like it was satanic or something?

I'm guessing that all that got changed for the VC version is the little 'star of david's.

Hey thanks for bringing this to my attention, I wasn't are there was a difference between them! Personally I think the TG16 one looks cooler ;) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the screenshot comparison, Black_Tiger! Crap, now I want to get the Japanese HuCard so I can play the TRULY EVIL version of the game.
  |    | 

Odonadon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »
I think the intent was to remove any religious symbols, regardless of what religion.  Lots of controversy around separation of church and state in the US right now, I'm thinking they just didn't want to take any chances (which personally I think is absolutely ridiculous).  Other than that, the game plays the EXACT same, you bunch of whiners :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »
I think the intent was to remove any religious symbols, regardless of what religion.  Lots of controversy around separation of church and state in the US right now, I'm thinking they just didn't want to take any chances (which personally I think is absolutely ridiculous).  Other than that, the game plays the EXACT same, you bunch of whiners :)

OD

I'm not saying that you're wrong, as what companies do is often misguided and pointless, but I don't understand the church and state connection.  Is the gov't developing games now (beyond the military's recruiting fps)?  I do fully agree that these minor differences don't change the game in any meaningful way.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »
If you ask me, Nintendo is being a pussy. Why don't they go change the name of the game as well while they're at it, I mean what does it even have to do with the devil now anyways?

Odonadon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:49:38 AM »

OD

I'm not saying that you're wrong, as what companies do is often misguided and pointless, but I don't understand the church and state connection.  Is the gov't developing games now (beyond the military's recruiting fps)?  I do fully agree that these minor differences don't change the game in any meaningful way.

I just mean with the latest controversy surrounding that, it's bound to have an impact, especially with a government-influenced body supervising what's released, not to mention congress being partially responsible for the creation of the ESRB :)

OD

Odonadon

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 06:52:15 AM »
If you ask me, Nintendo is being a pussy. Why don't they go change the name of the game as well while they're at it, I mean what does it even have to do with the devil now anyways?

Exactly, it's  just a symbol.  Not only that, but the Star of David is used for TONS of non-religious things.  To put things in a bit of perspective, here in Canada swears (f*ck, shit, etc.) are not censored on the 6:00 news, or afterwards during primetime.  Now if those aren't censored, why the frick is a stupid symbol in a video game?

OD

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »
The original American HuCard is censored too you know.

gundarN

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 05:49:34 AM »
The original star is more of a pagan symbol representing the elements (and the spirit) than a true Star of David. It's also inverted so takes on a more traditionally "Satanic" aspect.

Turbo D

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »
I would like to think of it as one of the only satanic games out there  :twisted:

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
I would like to think of it as one of the only satanic games out there  :twisted:

There are quite a few Satanic games. Satan's Hollow being one of the most blatant. Crue Ball, obviously evil as hell. Then of course you have the most Satanic games of all; WWII FPSs, GTA/GTA clones, and anything from EA Sports. Those that make such games clearly worship Satan.