Author Topic: Component on a Duo  (Read 1106 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Component on a Duo
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »
The first one is definitely a valid reason, and you won't need great composite for that, so the JROK board should do fine.

The second reason is not valid.  People should come to YOU, not the other way around.  Are you their subservient?  Don't let the white man bring you down and tell you what to do.  Damn white people.  Bunch of oppressive fukas.  Plus you'd have great video at your place, so they should be eager to come to you.

D-Lite

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 02:56:20 PM »
So some more notes.

- the board I used is the JROK component only board.  Using the JROK S-Video doesn't work right and I still don't know why (GUTS, you found that too, yes?).  So to use both S-Video and component you'd need both the component board and the S-Video board that grahf and myself make

- the colors with component are very strong and the separation is dramatic.  Almost too much so, but I've made the pots on the component board available for adjustment.  Pics coming soon.  It seems that the light and dark are significantly separated now

I have a working unit I'll take some pics of.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
One thing you could try doing is buying a Neobitz and removing the AD chip and replacing it with a CXA chip instead. There most likely will be some retracing for the connection, but it beats having two video circuit boards in the system at one time. Plus all the black Duo models are crammed for space once you add jacks, region mod and the video circuit board. I guess you could take chunks out of the PCB, but eishhh.

Really, it would just be better to get the S-video mod and make a RGB line out of the nice CXA chip. Then make a Din plug on the system that converts to scart on the cable you hook in. Then buy an external Scart RGB to YUV component converter that isn't crappy like most of them are.

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »
As much as I'd like to get a decent RGB to Component transcoder(?) someday, I'd still like to get a Duo with Component out built in.

I'm glad that its finally becoming a reality, even though S-Video is still good enough. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:43 PM »
The problem I have with component out built into each system I have is that there are very few component video switchers out there.  Most only have 4 wimpy inputs.  The Pelican one with 8 inputs sucks major ass.  I'm on my 3rd one, but they all have the same problem:  they suck.

D-Lite

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
The problem I have with component out built into each system I have is that there are very few component video switchers out there.  Most only have 4 wimpy inputs.  The Pelican one with 8 inputs sucks major ass.  I'm on my 3rd one, but they all have the same problem:  they suck.
Maybe you just suck at using it. [-X
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 04:21:35 PM »
Yeah, it's so incredibly complex!

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 05:06:42 PM »
My main Duo never stays in one spot, so its fine for me.

I have a decent switcher, but never use it. My LCD has two component inputs and I only put consoles near the projector when in use.

If I do get a Duo with component though, I'll probably invest in a new CRT TV with component input and finally get some use out of the switcher.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 11:03:06 PM »
The Pelican one with 8 inputs sucks major ass.  I'm on my 3rd one, but they all have the same problem:  they suck.

Yep, I have one of those. The audio inputs quit working completely with the 3rd input which was set for my Neo Geo. At first I freaked out and figured the sound blew out on the system. Turns out I just quit using it. I may open the damn thing up and figure out whats the problem. For $80 damn dollars this thing should be a hell of a lot more reliable. Still, it beats the hell out of hooking between 7 consoles and my Direct TV.

Another thing, it can get stuck on one selection if you unplug the adapter real quick or get a power surge that cuts it off and on. You have to remove the adapter and count to 5 to get it to work right again. Cheap digital switch box I guess.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
I'd gladly pay more for a quality switcher with that many inputs and also TOSlink and coaxial digital jacks on each input.  I'd also like to see up/down conversion of component to s-video/composite of non-HDTV sources (for recording to the computer) as well as upconversion of composite and S to the component outputs (as many JVC switchers do).  That keeps you from needing to change the input on your TV depending what type of jack is connected.  Two outputs would be preferred as well.  But the morons who keep making the switches think that there is no way in hell that people would ever dare to own more than 4 things that output video.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 03:02:58 AM »
That would be nice for most TV sets definitely. The only problem is if the comb filter on the TV handles composite or S-video better than the switcher, you would be better off just having it hook into the TV with the same connection. I really wouldn't mind paying like $200 for one that just does everything, maybe even more. I am surprised the Pelican switcher has 3 Fiber Optical inputs with 3 Ethernet inputs as well. What problems you been having with yours?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 05:20:43 AM »
The overall bandwidth of the thing is low.  I'll get some random picture shakes in 480p.  720p seems fairly stable.  1080i has moving diagonal lines in the picture.  All 3 Pelican switchers I've tried do this, and now I have the latest version with the "remote".  It is cheaply made... it's a Pelican!

http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »
Ok I see it uses 4 relay box switches per selection. One of those must have gone bad on input#3 just for the audio left/right. I hope it just a bad soldier connection, as I don't feel like ordering a stupid relay switch.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »
Just hit the relay with the end of a screwdriver to unstick it.  Or maybe punch it.

esteban

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
Just hit the relay with the end of a screwdriver to unstick it.  Or maybe punch it.
First, be sure to adequately spritz the relay with a spray bottle and H2O. Then use the screwdriver / punch method...
  |    |