Author Topic: Component on a Duo  (Read 1105 times)

D-Lite

Component on a Duo
« on: August 02, 2007, 05:55:02 AM »
So, to confirm the scattered reports out there, component video, using the JROK component only board, DOES work fine on a Duo, in this case, a DuoR.  Got it all hooked up last night in process on another mod and BAM! 

One note about doing this, you need to get the sync signal off of the composite video output, not from the #44 pin on the processor.  And you need to strip the signal, in my case with the LM1881.

So, now what to do with those encoders I have.....  :D
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

SignOfZeta

Re: Component on a Duo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »
Oh damn, awesome. I was waiting for someone (other than me) to try this. Does it work with just the...what would that be...four wires? Is an amp needed, or anything like that, or do you hook it straight to the jrock just like a JAMMA harness?

D-Lite

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »
Nope, it works very nicely with just pulling R,G,B from the processor, but as I noted, you'll need to get the sync from the composite signal.  This is the same I found for do the S-Video mod too.

I'm working out placement of the board and stuff now.

SMC

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
Why doesn't the sync off the chip work?  Is it too weak or something?  Also, I'm curious, has anyone tried a mod with one of the neo-bitz boards?

D-Lite

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:12:52 AM »
Why doesn't the sync off the chip work?  Is it too weak or something?  Also, I'm curious, has anyone tried a mod with one of the neo-bitz boards?
I plan on trying the NeoBitz component only.  Just haven't gotten to it yet.

I've never had good luck with sync off the chip. 

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 08:32:37 AM »
So I take it you touched base with Gutts on this one then? Either way its cool you got it going. Be interesting if you can get a AD chip based encoder to work well without having to do alot of extra work.

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
That's weird, I did the exact same thing on my duo R pulling sync off the composite video, but my colors were off.  Red was way too powerful, and there was no way to fix it that I could find.  I didn't strip the sync though, I got a stable picture without stripping it.  Could that have been why my red was too strong?  Grahf's s-video board works perfectly though.

SMC

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 06:22:46 AM »
Have any of you tried sync off the chip with an amp?  I went back to gamesx and checked the tut Lawrence made and rgb and sync all need the amp.  I'm going to have to get me one of those boards and try some things.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Would it be possible to still do Stereo, Composite and S-Video out on the same machine?

If not, would you have to only sacrifice the S-Video to keep the rest with Component?

What I'm most interested in, is the possibility of getting component out added to my fully modded with S-Video Duo without sacrificing anything.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »
Would it be possible to still do Stereo, Composite and S-Video out on the same machine?

If not, would you have to only sacrifice the S-Video to keep the rest with Component?

What I'm most interested in, is the possibility of getting component out added to my fully modded with S-Video Duo without sacrificing anything.

Change out the encoder. The Jrok component one has composite and s-video also. However I think the composite on the system is going to be better then composite from the Jrok. Jrok composite usually sucks ass.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
There is no need for composite EVER if you have S-video and component.  Composite video is not mentioned in the Bible, so it must be the work of the devil.

esteban

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:37:24 AM »
There is no need for composite EVER if you have S-video and component.  Composite video is not mentioned in the Bible, so it must be the work of the devil.
Indeed, there is no need for S-video or component. All you need is composite. I just modded my brother's 360 to provide 4 simultaneous composite outputs. We sacrificed the HDMI to pull this feat off, but it was worth it. Good times, good times...
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 08:38:04 AM »
I hope you are using cable absolutely no thicker than 50 gauge, or else you are ruining the experience.

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 10:03:15 AM »

I need composite when recording sound or video off my Duo, so I can hook it to the small TV I keep by my PC for recording.

My video card displays a delayed signal on my screen, so I can't play games in real time on it.

Its also nice to be able to hook it up to random TVs I may encounter, say when I pack it over to a friend's house or something.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I need composite when recording sound or video off my Duo, so I can hook it to the small TV I keep by my PC for recording.

My video card displays a delayed signal on my screen, so I can't play games in real time on it.

Its also nice to be able to hook it up to random TVs I may encounter, say when I pack it over to a friend's house or something.

Both valid reasons, except I don't consider anyone a 'friend' unless they have their own TG-CD / Duo .  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles