Author Topic: New Owner Of A NEC PC-ENGINE, a few questions  (Read 520 times)

Zhukov

New Owner Of A NEC PC-ENGINE, a few questions
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I was recently given a massive PC-Engine collection by someone who needed to offload stuff before he went overseas (I literally have a garbage bag full of games, and this cool arcade stick too). From the compatibility guide on the site, it looks like i have a PC-engine, a  Pc-Engine CD-Rom2 coupled together with a CDROM2 Interface Unit. Simply put this collection did not come with a power cable and in my country (Australia) the electricity runs at 240 volts while I think Japan's runs at 110v. It seems that the unit requires a 9volt power pack, I was wondering if I could just buy a normal 9v powerpack, plug it in and will it work without frying the console?

any help would be appreciated

thanks,
         Zhukov

Turbo D

Re: New Owner Of A NEC PC-ENGINE, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:40:57 PM »
The console will not fry as long as it gets the correct voltage and amperage. Thats cool that you got a whole trash bag of goodies. Do you have any pics?

Zhukov

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:44:13 PM »
I will post some pics up if you like when I get some free time :) I will admit that I don't know anything about PC Engine collections so it'd be cool to let some experts tell me which games are worth playing (if any)

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 11:51:51 PM »
There are definitely a lot of hits on the console, especially on cd-rom. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised. You may even have some valuables in your collection.

Zhukov

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:03:02 AM »
I took some pics of the games that came in CD cases with the console, I still have a fair few catridges left over though but I think a lot of them look like they were for a nintendo machine (famicom disk drive or something?).

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:21:31 AM »
wow, thats a nice collection you got there. You are going to have a lot of fun with ys and monster lair. Valis is cool too and fighting street is a classic that will make you laugh. Thats a sweet joystick too. I'd estimate the value of all this at around $300 US or more.

Zhukov

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:47 AM »
wow that's cool :) thanks for the info! can't wait to get a powerpack for this thing and give it a shot :D

esteban

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 03:42:29 AM »
Dude, you have a bunch of great games there. Even if you don't like some of the games, the Red Book soundtracks are really nice (if you enjoy listening to video game music).

I'll let others tell you how sweet the Tengai Makyou games are (Black_Tiger has written FAQs, I believe).

Valis II and Valis III are fun platformers. Valis III is friggin' awesome, IMO. Valis II is decent, but the soundtrack KICKS ASS, at least for me. Ys I & II, Ys III have epic soundtracks as well.

Burai II, Cosmic Fantasy III ... they're not the greatest games, but you might dig the music.

Blah, blah, blah, overall you have good stuff :). Monster Lair is a particular favorite of mine. Plus, if your manual is complete, you'll have a Wonderboy III mini-poster! :)

EDIT: I've never played Ranma 1/2, Macross (Eternal Love Song), or that Soccer / Futbol game.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:46:22 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
That's an awesome collection you got started so far!

Blah, blah, blah, overall you have good stuff :). Monster Lair is a particular favorite of mine. Plus, if your manual is complete, you'll have a Wonderboy III mini-poster! :)
W00t!? I wasn't aware that Monster Lair came with a mini Woderboy III poster! I have the French Canadian version of Monster Lair and I don't recall any poster - now I wanna get that :D! Anyone have pics of it?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:51 AM »
Not bad...a lot of Japanese language RPGs there though, good luck with that lot!
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

WoodyXP

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:14:25 PM »

The exact specs on the Power Supply are as follows:

INPUT: AC100V 50/60Hz 25VA
OUTPUT: DC9V 1450mA

Not sure how things work there in Australia, but if you can find a way
to get the system that kind of juice you'll be good to go.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »
Nice freebies from your buddy - you should have a lot of fun with what you have there.  Even if you don't know Japanese, you shouldn't have too many problems playing most of these gems (they're pretty common and have good walk-throughs available).  Good luck finding a power adapter and happy gaming.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

shubibiman

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »
What a nice lot you were given there. All seems to be in perfect condition and most of the games come with their spines, which is quite rare with the earlier cd games.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

runinruder

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »
Burai II, Cosmic Fantasy III ... they're not the greatest games, but you might dig the music.

Huh.  What an odd pairing and comment.  CF3 is a very good game, right up around Ziria's level I'd say, and certainly shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same breath as the truly awful Burai II.  And it's beyond me why anyone would cite the music as CF3's "redeeming" factor, as there are hardly any tunes in it. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 03:06:26 AM »

Huh.  What an odd pairing and comment.  CF3 is a very good game, right up around Ziria's level I'd say, and certainly shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same breath as the truly awful Burai II.  And it's beyond me why anyone would cite the music as CF3's "redeeming" factor, as there are hardly any tunes in it. 

My apologies for slighting Cosmic Fantasy 3 :). I've read good stuff about CF3 (including, most likely, one of your reviews), but I just haven't gotten into the game.

If it makes you feel better, I wasn't immediately enamored with Tengai Makyou 1 (Ziria) either.

What can I say? Sometimes a game has to grow on me.
  |    |