Author Topic: Genesis slaughters everything else  (Read 2870 times)

runinruder

Genesis slaughters everything else
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »
There isn't enough talk about the brilliant Sega Genesis on this forum.  I'll try to get the ball rolling: What are your favorite Gen games?  Here's my top ten:

El Viento - I wish the Turbo had an action-platformer with gameplay as smooth and cinemas as dramatic as this one's.

Wings of Wor - I wish the Turbo had a shooter with action as intense and a soundtrack as good as this one's. 

Shinobi III - I wish Ninja Spirit were this good.

Aladdin - I wish the Turbo had a hack-and-slash title with animation as amazing as this one's.

Elemental Master - I wish Mystic Formula were this good.

Mystic Defender - I wish the Turbo could produce audio as appealing as the stage 2 tune here.

Thunder Force II - I wish Gate of Thunder had a level as impressive as stage 8 here.

Castle of Illusion - I wish the Turbo's Disney games were this good. 

Lightening Force - I wish the Turbo were capable of graphics like these.

Bloodlines - I wish the Turbo had a Castlevania game this good. 

Man, Genesis rules.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

Re: Genesis slaughters everything else
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
Too many for me to list, Turbo and Genesis go back and forth for me as my favorite systems of all time.

The Disney games on Genesis especially slaughtered the Disney games on every other system ever.  Plus Shining force I & II and Phantasy Star II & IV are completely untouchable.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »

Wings of Wor - I wish the Turbo had a shooter with action as intense and a soundtrack as good as this one's.

Isn't Chew on Nikki similar?

Castle of Illusion - I wish the Turbo's Disney games were this good.

Hell, I wish any other Disney-based game were this good.  World of Illusion was kind of nice, but I don't think any other Disney game can ever come close to this one.  Not only is it the best Disney-based game ever, it is also one of the best platformers, period.

Lightening Force - I wish the Turbo were capable of graphics like these.

This comment will inflame Keranu's hemorrhoids.  Be careful!  :)

Bloodlines - I wish the Turbo had a Castlevania game this good.

Why?  Dracula X is already better.

runinruder

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »

Isn't Chew on Nikki similar?

In some respects, yes.  It's bullet heavy and has similar enemy designs.  But it's more predictable (read: less exciting) than the amazing Wings.  Still good, though. 

Hell, I wish any other Disney-based game were this good.  World of Illusion was kind of nice, but I don't think any other Disney game can ever come close to this one.  Not only is it the best Disney-based game ever, it is also one of the best platformers, period.

Yeah, World was also good.  They really screwed up Fantasia though. 

esteban

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:04:59 PM »
My favorite consoles of all time:
1. NES
2. TG-16 / Genesis
3. Everything else

Genesis does indeed kick ass. So many great, great games.

I think the NES Disney games by Capcom are pretty friggin' kool (i.e. Duck Tales), but I'm not going to argue with what folks have already said about the Genny's Disney games.

Now, I'm not going to list my Top 10 games, but rather some Genny games that I really dig and I think are underappreciated. IMO, this demonstrates how diverse the Gemnny library was and how many awesome games were available, proving conclusively that Genesis slaughters everything else.

In no particular order:

Master of Monsters - I really like the Genny version of this. I don't expect anyone to get excited about this game, but Master of Monsters is fun and the music gets me stoked when I'm playing.

Star Control - Countless hours playing this game, for years, and my brothers / friends / I still enjoy playing this game. What can I say?

Mutant League Football / Hockey - I don't know. I liked playing these games, even though they were corny as hell. I'm not a big sports fan (the only sports games I take seriously are baseball games like Baseball Stars NES). I should probably hate these Mutant League games, but I like 'em. I'm sure Runin is going to lose respect for me upon reading this. Guilty pleasures. Oh well.... :)

Chelnov Atomic Runner - OK, this is a joke, since I know this isn't a good game by any reasonable standard. Nonetheless, I have a soft spot for this goddam game for some reason and Genny is the only way I could play it, thus proving that the Genesis slaughters everything else.

Splatterhouse 2 & 3 - Yeah, I know these aren't the greatest games, but I like the series and you'll only find these two on the Genny. The slaughter continues.

Road Rash - Hell yeah! Simple, but great fun.

Mystic Defender - :)
  |    | 

runinruder

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »
I should probably hate these Mutant League games, but I like 'em. I'm sure Runin is going to lose respect for me upon reading this.

No, no.

I'd already lost all respect for you three seconds earlier when I'd read this:

My favorite consoles of all time:
1. NES
2. TG-16 / Genesis

:wink:

esteban

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 02:26:25 PM »
El Viento - I wish the Turbo had an action-platformer with gameplay as smooth and cinemas as dramatic as this one's.
Now, I don't want to start anything (really!), but I never understood all the cult-love for El Viento! Yes, of course I dig this game (I enjoy Valis II, afterall), but this is El Viento is not "smooth" in a good way! There is an awkwardness to it that never goes away, even when you get used to the controls, play mechanics and start to "run through" the game like a true master (not a "speed run", per se, but rather a "don't stop moving" - run).

The controls are too floaty (almost Bravoman floaty!) and there is no visceral satisfaction when you kill your opponents. I don't think the stage design is particularly good, either. El Viento slaughters Earnest Evans, though.

Don't get me wrong, I like El Viento, but I think El Viento on your list is on par with Chelnov on my list. OK, I'm kidding. But still...

:)

EDIT: I friggin' love the tune that plays during the opening story (when the buildings are smoldering in orange). I don't think that tune gets enough love.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 02:30:15 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »
TurboGrafx slaughters the Genesis

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
The Joe Redifer Appreciation Thread

Before I list my games, I want to fully agree that Genesis by far had the best Disney games ever made, with Quackshot being one of my all time favorite games.

Now onto my killer list:

Crack Down - I wish the Turbo had two player overhead action games with sprites as small as this.

Devilish - I wish the Turbo had games that were original as this

Insector X - I wish the Turbo had shooters this creative and intense with a soundtrack that rocks everything else off the planet. Stage 5 of Gate of Thunder doesn't even compare.

Ka Ge Ki - I wish the Turbo had games published by Sage's Creation.

Kid Chameleon - I wish the Turbo had a game with over 100,000,000 screens!

King Salmon - I wish the Turbo had fishing games.

King's Bounty - I wish the Turbo had strategy games this strategic. Military Madness is a joke.

Phelios - I wish the Turbo had shooters as magical as this one.

Quackshot - I wish the Turbo had platformers as adventurous as this one.

Ranger X - I wish the Turbo could even handle this game.

Rocket Knight Adventures - I wish the Turbo had this much action.

Shadow Blasters - I wish the Turbo had action games this deep.

Shining in the Darkness - I wish Climax Entertainment made games for the Turbo.

Shining Force - I wish the Turbo had games with beepy bloop voices.

Shining Force 2 - I wish the Turbo had a sequal to Solid Force.

Sonic the Hedgehog - I wish the Turbo had games this fast.

Streets of Rage - I wish the Turbo had more and better beat'em ups like this.

Taz - I wish the Turbo had good licensed games.

Toe Jam & Earl and Toe Jam & Earl 2 - I wish the Turbo had games this funky.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »

Crack Down - I wish the Turbo had two player overhead action games with sprites as small as this.

Though this game has awful graphics, it is kind of fun in a weird sort of way.  It has two players as well.  And I'd rather play this game any day vs the Xbox360 version.  Ug.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
Hm...I think you need to play more NEC software if you really think the Genesis is all that much better.

The people here love the Genesis to levels of pure delusion, so you are not alone. I'm pretty much the only one here that thinks its the worst Sega system build (except probably the SG1000), but in a way I'm probably better off. Have you seen what complete JP Mega Drive carts go for these days? Its insane!

runinruder

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 03:48:42 PM »
Kid Chameleon - I wish the Turbo had a game with over 100,000,000 screens!

Allow me to introduce you to a Last Armageddon dungeon...   :wink:

Hm...I think you need to play more NEC software if you really think the Genesis is all that much better.

True, true.  If anything's clear from my posts on this forum, it's that I haven't played many PCE/Turbo games. 

:-$

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »
i sense a huge quantity of ironic humor in this thread.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
i sense a huge quantity of ironic humor in this thread.
It's humorous, but some of it's true. I do wish the Turbo had more beat'em ups, for example.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
It's humorous, but some of it's true. I do wish the Turbo had more beat'em ups, for example.

it may sounds strange, but i think the same, alltough the PCE had a huge library of diverse vs.-beat'em ups, only 10% was/is really usable.
what the system really needed, was more sort of beat'n walks like bare knuckle etc.

a final fight from NEC-AVE would've been very nice!! especially in terms of colors.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^