Author Topic: Genesis slaughters everything else  (Read 2867 times)

TR0N

Re: Genesis slaughters everything else
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »
Genesis i miss owning that console still i'll list my favorites for it.

Gunstar Heros
Beyond Oasis
PS IV
Zombies Ate My Neighbor
Rocket Knight Adventure
Contra Hardcorps
Cursader of the Centy
Gaiares
SOR2
Castlevania Bloodlines
General Chaos
Road Rash

Just to name a few.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:57:21 PM by TRON »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nat

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
Space Harrier II.

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
DecapAttack.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 05:17:36 PM »
Rolo to the Rescue.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:59 PM »
decapattack is one of my favorite genesis games  8) It was the coolest shit back in the day. I especially like that level where that totem pole chases you, haha.

Bonknuts

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »
 Revenge of Shinobi -  love the music.

Gaiares -  WTF! FTW! Best overall shooter on the genesis. Would've been kick ass to see a PCE SCD or SegaCD version or sequal.

TF3 -  better than TF4(after playing the ocean side level, I turn it off). I can listen to the music for hours.

eSWAT -  average but still a classic. Love the first boss music.

Sonic 2 -  Sonic 1 is ok, Sonic 3 - didn't play it, Sonic CD - ugly ass gfx/design but the US opening song is cool.

Shadow Dancer -  Thank god they didn't port the arcade version. This version is much better.

Arrowflash -  'cause I like it.

PS2 -  Best PS game. Period. (PS3 was total trash - HATE that game). Looking forward to PS4

Valis III -  Valis!

Shining Force -  the first and last in the series that I played. I don't care for strategy games, but this one kept my interest till the end.

Streets of Rage -  The first one was kickass, the other ones tried too hard (and had some lame characters). SOR 1 has the best music of the 3.

Trouble Shooter -  mean ol' sleeper shooter.

Gunstar Heroes -  very fun, but a bit over rated and reading all the praise for this game gets annoying. It's as if it were made by some polygamist Gods or the mormon Jesus himself..... Jesus!

Target Earth -  Kickass - kickass - kickass....

Wings of War -  An amazing shooter.

Steel Empire -  Another kickass shooter.

nat

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 06:06:12 AM »

Sonic 2 -  Sonic 1 is ok, Sonic 3 - didn't play it, Sonic CD - ugly ass gfx/design but the US opening song is cool.

Sonic CD is the best Sonic game ever made.

Recognize, bee-yotch!

Turbo D

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 07:43:53 AM »
Ya, I agree, that sonic cd rules!

nat

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 09:01:06 AM »
I didn't try Sonic CD for a long long time because lots of people said it was "ugly."

That sure taught me never to listen to "people" since the graphics in Sonic CD are some of the best to be found in a Sonic game.

Bonknuts

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
I didn't try Sonic CD for a long long time because lots of people said it was "ugly."

That sure taught me never to listen to "people" since the graphics in Sonic CD are some of the best to be found in a Sonic game.

Hah! I played back when it first came out. Had crappy graphics back, still does now. I really like the music though. I could look past the graphics if the game was fun, but CD version had no soul IMO. It felt like they ran out of ideas. I tried multiple times to get into it, but there was nothing special to draw you in. If you're a Sonic, then you'll probably love it but for your gamer that isn't in love with Sonic, it's probably the worst of the series.

Sonic CD is to the Sonic series as Bonk 3 is to the Bonk series. Both games are just generic in comparison to their predecessors. Bonk 1 = classic, Sonic 1 = classic, Bonk 2 = great game with much improvements, Sonic 2 = great game with much improvements.

Bonk 3 and Sonic CD were designed by interns  :-"

I haven't played much of Sonic 3, but from what I have played - it should have been the Sonic CD game. Btw - I haven't been Sonic CD ( I have for Bonk 3). Maybe you guys can point me to some videos of the later levels.

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
I have to completely disagree with tom/Bonknuts there ;) .

Sonic 1 - One of the best games ever made
Sonic CD - Awesome game that's close to the original, but has it's own twists.
Sonic 2 - Decent game, but a little dissapointing to me these days. The level layouts and designs just didn't give me the same impact as the others.

Sonic 1 > CD > 3 > 2 > Knuckles

Or if Sonic 3 & Knuckles count as one game:

Sonic 1 > CD > 3 & Knuckles > 2
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »
My favorite is Sonic 2. I guess Sonic CD would fall somewhere after that.

Black Tiger

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »
I loved the Time Attack mode in Sonic CD.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Kitsunexus

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
Too many for me to list

Agreed. Genesis PWNS.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2007, 01:32:23 PM »
Here's my opinion (which is the one that counts):

Sonic 1 - Best Sonic game evar.  I just wish they would have waited a couple of weeks to release it so we could get the scrolling clouds in the first level, the extra layers in the second level and the line scrolling water like the Japanese did.  Still gets a bit tiresome after extended periods, though.

Sonic 2 - Second best Sonic game evar.  Many improvements, but overall it did seem to basically be more of the same (repetition).  However this game shows off the Genesis' super-powerful interlace mode which needs to be seen in order to be believed!  Wow!  Amazing!  Incredible!  320x448 resolution from a home console!  I can't believe we haven't put a man on Mars yet with this kind of sheer power.

Sonic 3 - This had some nice things going for it, but I felt the character art took a HUGE hit.  Look at the title screen.  Just look at it!  Look how awful it is.  Is that even Sonic?  It looks like an unlicensed stuffed animal or something.  Music was good, but it lacked the character that the first 2 Sonics had.

Sonic & Knuckles - This is pretty much a more boring version of Sonic 3 with worse music.  Never let anyone named "Howard" do your music.  When combined with Sonic 3, you get a Sonic game that is entirely too long, however this is remedied by the save feature.  Speaking of the save feature, it must be seen to be believed!  Knuckles didn't have a battery, and neither did the Sonic 3 cart!  How did they save their data?  Through space-age technology!  The save data will never go away.  Again... man on Mars & Sega Genesis.   Who else sees the connection?

Sonic CD - This could have been good, but the framerate hiccups quite a bit and the time-traveling feature really bores me to tears.  It also breaks the flow of the game.  Music is great, though I really hate the first stage music in the US version.  God damn hippies.

Sonic Spinball - This game is enough to make any Sega fanboy switch to anyone else.  It's horrible!

Sonic 3D Blast - Only the mighty Sega Genesis can deliver a game with this kind of power.  Not only did it travel to the future and steal music from Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, but it has Axelay scaling!  Wait... it gets better!!!!  The Axelay scaling is even better than Axelay!!!!!!!!!  I bet this game has already been on Mars

Knuckles' Chaotix - This game is odd but actually really cool once you get used to it.  I think most people were expecting a regular Sonic game which they already had ad nauseum on the Genesis.  Best music of the series!  And polygonal bonus stages that will blow your mind with the extreme technology used.  I was about to make a Mars comment again, but then I realized that the 32X's code name is Mars!  They harnessed the power of the entire planet Mars into the 32X to give us such a fine gaming achievement.  I need to go wipe myself.