Author Topic: "Lords of Thunder: PC" (Updated 1/11/14 - v.001 released)  (Read 5117 times)

esteban

Re: "Lords of Thunder: The Return of Landis" (status: announcement)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 06:35:58 AM »
Nice :)

Once you finish the "straight" port of the first stage, you might consider adding a second loop of the first stage with some goofy sprites swapped in -- just for fun!

Who wouldn't want to play as Bravoman instead of Landis in the second loop? :)
  |    | 

Pcenginefx

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »
Oh that would be fun........an "unlockable" character for beating the game perhaps...I don't know if I could stand hearing "BRAVO" each time I fired though!
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 01:10:59 PM »
...I don't know if I could stand hearing "BRAVO" each time I fired though!
I could!!!!!!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Pcenginefx

UPDATE
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
Keranu, I think you could stand anything :P

On a side note, I just bought the full version of Game Maker 7 (I used GM6 previously) today and moved my old source files from my archives to my mega-awesome quad-core computer.  Now I'm ready to rock on this :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 04:52:58 PM by Pcenginefx »
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
Lords of Thunder: The Return of Landis - v0.1

DOWNLOAD: http://www.pcenginefx.com/main/lottrol/LoTTRoL_001.exe (2.3MB, Windows OS)

NOTES: Welcome to the first remake-release of the old Lords of Thunder PC port project (now called "Lords of Thunder: The Return of Landis").  In this tech demo 0.1 release, the basic engine for the stage 1 ("Dezant") background parallax has been created and the background graphics slightly enhanced from the original game.  Since I am limited as to how many layers of parallax I can have due to speed issues (3=lame!) I did some blurring of the back layers to give a depth-of-field effect.

At this stage of development, the tech demo (which runs at 30fps at 640x480) should run perfectly smooth and is optimized as much as possible.

//Aaron

Kitsunexus

Re: "Lords of Thunder: The Return of Landis" (status: v0.1 released)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Dude, f*ck the older computers. We all have good computers. Make it the best game you can make it.

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 08:20:31 PM »
I love the depth of field effect!

One small graphic suggestion I would like to make is for the shades in the sand that don't blend in because they aren't yellow. Just swap them with darker shades if you can.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 09:04:38 PM »
I love the effect as well. I wish I could full-screen it to use as a screen saver.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 09:11:31 PM »
I love the depth of field effect!

One small graphic suggestion I would like to make is for the shades in the sand that don't blend in because they aren't yellow. Just swap them with darker shades if you can.

Are you talking about the bottom part of the sand where it is darker than the rest...or just smooth out the sand in general?
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 09:21:02 PM »
I love the effect as well. I wish I could full-screen it to use as a screen saver.

Please re-uploaded the package - I've made it so that you can now re-size the window to any size you want (while maintaining the aspect ratio).  No full-screen exclusive mode though at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:09:13 AM by Pcenginefx »
//Aaron

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 10:59:36 PM »
Is this just a straight port using existing graphics... kind of like running the CD in an emulator in effect?  You should redraw everything.  Also, the Lords of Thunder graphic you created would look awesome... with a Band-Aid placed on it.  :)

Pcenginefx

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 04:41:47 AM »
Is this just a straight port using existing graphics... kind of like running the CD in an emulator in effect?  You should redraw everything.  Also, the Lords of Thunder graphic you created would look awesome... with a Band-Aid placed on it.  :)

It's pretty much a straight port using existing graphics (just like my previous Lords of Thunder PC Port Project).  However this time I'm enhancing the graphics in a way to improve on what is there already - not adding/redrawing anything...mostly to smooth out the look of the game.

Believe me, I'd love to make brand new gfx...however I'm not that good of an artist to do it justice.
//Aaron

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42:17 AM »
Is the music going to be a re-use of the game's Redbook, or will it be new .XM/.IT

Pcenginefx

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 07:20:02 AM »
Is the music going to be a re-use of the game's Redbook, or will it be new .XM/.IT

It will be re-use of the game's redbook audio with possible enhancements.
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 07:28:11 AM »
The next item I am trying to work on is expanding the amount of parallax in the engine without using too much manual code.  The original game has the appearance of many layers of parallax and without using manual code, I'm stuck with 3 layers in my engine.  One thing I might try to further the effect is to make the furthest mountains static since they would be so far away they shouldn't be moving in the first place.
//Aaron