Author Topic: "Splatterhouse" High Scores  (Read 2883 times)

Keranu

"Splatterhouse" High Scores
« on: September 28, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »
This thread is screaming for your name, 2X4 ;) .

Default Mode

#1 COUNT SMRIFNACK: 1,042,200
#1 Michael Helgeson: 386,200
#2 Keranu: 90,800

Hard Mode

#1 Nat: 100,000 (completed with two credits and needs video proof)

Yeah I kinda blew it this turn (I was using an emulator :P ), but I'll probably try getting a higher score later. I was using the default difficulty, so please indicate if you use the trick to set it to hard mode.

A reminder to everyone competing in this game, I think the only way to see your score is on the actual ingame screen so you have to quickly snap a picture, screenshot, or write it down immediately after you die!

Important Note: Helgeson made a good suggestion in this thread that players posting scores on hard mode will need video proof from beginning to end so it's not faked as a default mode score. Scores without video proof will be noted.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:05:32 PM by nat »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

Re: "Splatterhouse" High Scores
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »
You inspired me so I just played through on Hard mode.

I died at the final boss and had to use a continue to restart the last level. You get 100,000 points for defeating the final boss which I did on the second try. Unfortunately, your score is reset when you continue. So my high score as of now is 100,000 on Hard mode. My score was higher when I got my "Game Over" but I forgot to check it. We'll just go with 100,000.

No picture because the scene faded out before I could take one (I tried pausing with no luck).

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:30:32 AM »
Score added. I warned 'ya about saving those scores! :D This game would be so much nicer if it had a high score screen or something.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:36:10 AM »
Since I'm playing on the real hardware, it's a real pain to try to put down the controller, pick up the camera and snap a picture before the scene fades. I can't just hit a hotkey to capture the screen or pause the emulation.

It doesn't help when the camera has turned itself off, either.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:41:06 AM »
I think you might be able to pause as your character is dying, but your score doesn't show on the pause screen. In that case, get your camera ready while it's paused and quickly snap a shot after unpausing it. Yeah that must be a total pain in the ass  :evil: .

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »
I just added Michael Helgeson's high score, check out this thread for his pictures. By the way, Mike, was that score you got on the default setting or on hard mode? I have it on default for now.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 03:16:07 PM »
Default,although I can do the same on hard mode also. Its not much harder. You just have to do things like work both shot guns to the chainsaw boss so you can kill him easier. The more energy saved on bosses is more energy gained for the next level.

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
Yeah I try to conserve as much energy as I can so I can try to have it full for the beginning of each stage.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
Update:
I messed around for abit on hard mode for a few mins. These are pics from my first hard mode run Ive done in a couple of years. I goofed around for a bit so you can see in a early pic I was going strong but started to get sloppy after  abit till I died my last man. I need to go back and do it again sometime.

After sharpening my skills on that first run being on Hard mode I did a normal mode run.While doing so I learned a valuable lesson,dying more equals a higher score to a degree as long as you manage to not continue. How did I learn this? Well on this run I managed to die only twice,and because of this my new score is a tad lower then my current high score. How can I prove I died only twice? Check my men left over. :P I woulda actually had 5 but in the chapel I got totally sloppy and didn't line up my hits on the cross,and got killed the first time on it.

Chainsaw boss you ask? Didn't even touch me once.
So basically it should be stated that not only do I maintain the current "HIGH SCORE" but also finishing with the least amount of "deaths" currently listed here. I'm going to be honest with you Nat,and please don't take any offense to this,because this should apply to anyone else INCLUDING myself. Its useless to list a hard mode score with the goal to have it listed as the current high score,esp without any uploaded video without breaks with the title screen stating hard. Why? Because even by pics alone it cant be proven.They could just as easily be pics of gameplay on normal mode.

One day when the time is given I will make a tape on hard mode and see if Quoth can transfer it over for me and I will upload it. To me that is the only sure bet way to register a "Hard Mode" high score. Till then or until someone else can do so first on video uploaded Id kindly ask Keranu to remove the current hard mode score listed and just list normal mode scores,and only then if pics are provided for proof. Its the fair thing to do currently.

To that effect,here are my new run pics for "Normal Mode". I hope to see others update this thread besides me soon. :). Also,I am going to repost my old pics for my current high score here below these new pics so no one has to hunt the last man standing thread down to see them :)

OLD RUN CURRENT HIGH SCORE PICS:

Told you Id have new Splatterhouse news soon,did I not Joe  :wink:

EDIT:
You inspired me so I just played through on Hard mode.

I died at the final boss and had to use a continue to restart the last level. You get 100,000 points for defeating the final boss which I did on the second try. Unfortunately, your score is reset when you continue. So my high score as of now is 100,000 on Hard mode. My score was higher when I got my "Game Over" but I forgot to check it. We'll just go with 100,000.

No picture because the scene faded out before I could take one (I tried pausing with no luck).

You made me realize another thing here. Any score listed should be from a first run only,not a continued run,since beating the game defaults you 100,000. This way we can better gauge our skills at the game by pushing for higher 1 credit scores :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:17:46 PM by Michael Helgeson »

nat

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
You're right as far as proof goes for high scores (video, photos, etc). It's a point I've made countless times in these threads.

My score contribution was more just something to help participate and get some friendly competition going. I thought I had been pretty upfront about that score, if not, let me reiterate. I played through the game on hard mode. I died frequently, and near the end of the noxious cave level I actually had to use a Continue. This resets your score to 0 when you do. After using the continue I did make it through the final level and dispatch the Big Boss. You get 100,000 for beating the final boss at the end of the game (at least you do in Hard mode) so that's what I reported my score as. I can't beat the game in Hard mode without using a continue, though, and I didn't take note of my score when I got that Game Over (though it's safe to say it was probably quite a bit higher than 100,000). So I used the lesser of the two.

As far as holding the high score, well, I'll gladly hand that honor to you if it means that much to you.  :D Keranu can feel free to make a notation next to my score that it was done using 2 credits.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »
You're right as far as proof goes for high scores (video, photos, etc). It's a point I've made countless times in these threads.

My score contribution was more just something to help participate and get some friendly competition going. I thought I had been pretty upfront about that score, if not, let me reiterate. I played through the game on hard mode. I died frequently, and near the end of the noxious cave level I actually had to use a Continue. This resets your score to 0 when you do. After using the continue I did make it through the final level and dispatch the Big Boss. You get 100,000 for beating the final boss at the end of the game (at least you do in Hard mode) so that's what I reported my score as. I can't beat the game in Hard mode without using a continue, though, and I didn't take note of my score when I got that Game Over (though it's safe to say it was probably quite a bit higher than 100,000). So I used the lesser of the two.

As far as holding the high score, well, I'll gladly hand that honor to you if it means that much to you.  :D Keranu can feel free to make a notation next to my score that it was done using 2 credits.

No,I don't currently hold  a Hard Mode score either like I said above. Like I said,I think Hard Mode Scores should only be considered if validated via a video with no breaks in it from Title Screen to end and be done on a 1 credit basis. Not trying to offend you either Nat,as I said above applies to all of us,the goal to me should be to push ourselves harder to get the highest scores on one credit only,as the game can be beaten on one credit. Me,you,anyone else should strive harder and harder to do this and prove our highest scores on 1 credit only on either mode. To me this is the top way to get competition going and I wish others would post their scores up on this thread too and give Splatterhouse sum luv like it deserves :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:26:21 PM by Michael Helgeson »

nat

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »
It's funny you brought this up tonight since I sat down with Splatterhouse last night for the first time since I posted that score last year whenever that was. I still can't beat it in Hard mode on one credit.  :P It's that f*cking noxious cave level that gets me every time [in Hard mode]. I can do fine up until that point but I swear victory over the "boss" of that level revolves around luck alone. I usually eat a whole credit there before making it to the fire level.

I can one-credit the game in normal mode though so maybe that's what I oughtta do and post it up...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:07:34 PM by nat »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »
Yea as a young teen that part got me alot on normal level early on until I started playing the game alot. Ill def keep  a eye out for your update :)

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
Ok I took Helgeson's advice, but I edited my opening post with a couple of notes and reminders.

ceti alpha

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
I can't wait to get this game.  :dance: How do you play in hard mode? Is there a special code, or is it in the menu?

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"