Author Topic: "J.J. and Jeff" High Scores  (Read 1523 times)

nat

Re: "J.J. and Jeff" High Scores
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 11:54:41 AM »
Yeah, the Japanese SMB2 pretty much sucks. And I'm not saying that because it's hard, since I enjoy a good challenge. I just say that because, well, it's just more of the same. They didn't even bother to compose a new music track! At least we got something fresh and new that took the old and expanded upon it. The US SMB2 is the best 8-bit Mario game, hands down.

ceti alpha

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
The US SMB2 is the best 8-bit Mario game, hands down.

I second that motion. All those in favour say "Aye". All those not in favour, I don't want to hear about it.  :P

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 12:40:26 PM »
Yeah the Japanese SMB2 sucks as a sequel, but it's good as a game itself. I am very greatful that we got Doki Doki Panic out here instead. Americans know how a sequel should be 8) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

kenomac78

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
505250!!!!!

i did not use the green spring at all, but i did luck out on the slot machine, hitting both 3 coins ,  burgers and bees to clean up, those extra lives and vitality got me up that high

now i can have my al bundy momen

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »
Awesome score, man! How far did you make it into the game?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

kenomac78

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 07:20:36 PM »
all the way to 6-1

what sucks is if you get extra health and lose a life it resets. sad theres no extra codes besides the continue

rag-time4

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 04:37:18 AM »
The US SMB2 is the best 8-bit Mario game, hands down.

I second that motion. All those in favour say "Aye". All those not in favour, I don't want to hear about it.  :P

Aye.

I wonder.... is there some kind of relationship for us being both TurboGrafx fans as well as fans of the oddball of the Mario games?  :-k

nat

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »

Of course! We're fans of superior gameplay.

ceti alpha

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:48 AM »
Well, sign up another one. I love SMB 2, and of course, Turbografx.  8) SMB 2 is just simply the best Mario game hands down. Which reminds me that I have to head to the mall and pick up a used copy of it for the GBA. It has the updated graphics though, so I'm not sure how that looks or plays. Any of you guys play the updated version?

rag-time4

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 05:05:43 AM »
Well, sign up another one. I love SMB 2, and of course, Turbografx.  8) SMB 2 is just simply the best Mario game hands down. Which reminds me that I have to head to the mall and pick up a used copy of it for the GBA. It has the updated graphics though, so I'm not sure how that looks or plays. Any of you guys play the updated version?

I just recently sold my copy on ebay.

I had quite a bit of fun with it. It's a lot easier than the NES version, but there's a lot of new enemies, some new bosses, and a new challenge to fool around with after you complete the game once.

If you're sure you're going to buy it I won't spoil the surprises for you but if you want I'll give you some more details about it.

EDIT ~ The GBA version also has a new version of the Original Mario Bros, which was my second favorite Mario game. It's actually a 2-in-1 cart with the SMB  2 advance as well as the Mario Bros game.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:09:28 AM by rag-time4 »

nat

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 07:14:57 AM »

I own all the Mario games released for the GBA. I play them on my TV thru my GameCube w/GB Advance Player. They are all more or less identical graphically to the ports released on the SNES on the "Mario All-Stars" cart.

SMB 2 received the most updates from the SNES version. In addition to the aforementioned "post-game" game & enemy mods, for the first time ever SMB2 has a point scoring system on par with the other Mario titles. For me, that was a big draw. In nearly every way, the GBA version is the definitive version of SMB2.

But there is one major issue I have, and that is that they added childish voices to all the characters. And I'm not talking just during cutscenes or something like that. EVERY f*ckING TIME you grab an item, coin, kill an enemy, etc, your character will exclaim some sort of childish remark in an ear-piercing tone. AND THERE IS NO WAY TO TURN OFF THE VOICES. The worst, by far, is the Toad character who has such a shrill voice that I'm very surprised the game passed quality control.

Because of this, I don't play this version of SMB2 much anymore. Which is really too bad, because in every other regard it is far superior to any other version ever released.

ceti alpha

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 07:24:26 AM »
Because of this, I don't play this version of SMB2 much anymore. Which is really too bad, because in every other regard it is far superior to any other version ever released.

:( Crappy.

rag-time4

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 07:35:16 AM »

But there is one major issue I have, and that is that they added childish voices to all the characters. And I'm not talking just during cutscenes or something like that. EVERY f*ckING TIME you grab an item, coin, kill an enemy, etc, your character will exclaim some sort of childish remark in an ear-piercing tone. AND THERE IS NO WAY TO TURN OFF THE VOICES. The worst, by far, is the Toad character who has such a shrill voice that I'm very surprised the game passed quality control.

I got a kick out of the voices  :mrgreen:

It reminded me of the good old days of Mario Kart 64. Childish, yes, very much so, but they do fit with the theme.

And yeah I do remember Toad's voice being lame, but it didn't affect me too much because I only use him for a couple key stages. Luigi's voice, who is the character I use most (gotta love the leg wiggle when he jumps!!!  :lol: ), was a lot of fun.

nat

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 07:55:09 AM »
To me, "the good old" days were back when I was a kid first getting and playing the NES. SMB1 & 2... Mostly 2. Mario Kart 64, and the voices that came with it, was somewhat OK since the subject matter of the game was a bit different but IMHO they took it waaaay too far adding them to the classic platformers.

At the very least they should have provided an option to turn them off.

All that said, I kind of skipped the 3D part of the 32/64-bit era while it was happening. I stuck by my TG-16 and other 16-bit consoles to get me through it. For me that was a turn for the worse in the video game industry. Probably the only modern game I actually played in those days was Mario Kart 64, believe it or not. I never bought any of the consoles from that era until well into the "128-bit" (DC/GC/PS2) era. I still refuse to touch a Playstation, and I don't own many games for my Nintendo 64.

I associate a lot of crappiness in video games from that period. For me, adding voices (a spawn of the video game "dark age") to the classic SMB platformers was like pollution of a beautiful thing.

It wouldn't have been as bad if, as I mentioned, you could turn them off. Or at the very least, only have them occur and the end of a level or something.

rag-time4

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 08:30:03 AM »
To me, "the good old" days were back when I was a kid first getting and playing the NES. SMB1 & 2... Mostly 2. Mario Kart 64, and the voices that came with it, was somewhat OK since the subject matter of the game was a bit different but IMHO they took it waaaay too far adding them to the classic platformers.

At the very least they should have provided an option to turn them off.

All that said, I kind of skipped the 3D part of the 32/64-bit era while it was happening. I stuck by my TG-16 and other 16-bit consoles to get me through it. For me that was a turn for the worse in the video game industry. Probably the only modern game I actually played in those days was Mario Kart 64, believe it or not. I never bought any of the consoles from that era until well into the "128-bit" (DC/GC/PS2) era. I still refuse to touch a Playstation, and I don't own many games for my Nintendo 64.

I associate a lot of crappiness in video games from that period. For me, adding voices (a spawn of the video game "dark age") to the classic SMB platformers was like pollution of a beautiful thing.

It wouldn't have been as bad if, as I mentioned, you could turn them off. Or at the very least, only have them occur and the end of a level or something.

Nat I totally hear ya. I never owned an N64 myself until just recently. The only games I've spent any time with for the system are Goldeneye and Mario Kart, and that's been playing multiplayer with friends.

We had fun with those games back when I was in highschool, so that's why those are good old days for me.

Being able to turn the voices off might have been a nice move for serious old-schoolers. In retrospect, there's no reason the game couldn't have a classic mode with all the new stuff taken out... or better yet an options menu that would allow to keep some of the classic stuff and mixing in only the new stuff that you like, but such customizability is extremely rare.