Author Topic: What's wrong with my TurboDuo?  (Read 787 times)

Black Tiger

What's wrong with my TurboDuo?
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »
After reading about some miraculous Duo fixes that turned out to be something minor, I figured I might as well see if the experts can (hopefully) easily solve my problem.

The CD drive in my U.S. TurboDuo system doesn't spin. After pressing Run, it makes a "grr-tick" sound.

At no time does the disc spinner move. The laser is at the far left of its sliding area, or next to the CD spinner.

After hitting Run, the laser moves/bumps towards the left, traveling at the most 1 milimetre. It then pushes the lens upward where it stays for a second or two before sinking back down for a second or two and repeats until I 'open the CD door'.

I can see a tiny red light in the lens during this.

The TurboDuo just sits at the "Just a moment..." screen the whole time.

I'm hoping that its only the lens. I've replaced the lens in my Duo RX on my own.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. :pray: :) :-k
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

awack

Re: What's wrong with my TurboDuo?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
The only thing i can think of to help you is to move the laser to the right by hand, make sure the duo is on, then just easily move the laser away from the CD spinner.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:17:53 PM »
It sounds like a dead lens, but it couldn't hurt to give 'er a good cleaning, lube job, and try to manually move the lens transport (the gears could be on a 'flat' spot).  As a last resort, fiddle with the pots and see if it helps any.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:38 AM »
The only thing i can think of to help you is to move the laser to the right by hand, make sure the duo is on, then just easily move the laser away from the CD spinner.

I tried to move the laser, but it won't budge. Is this a sign that it may be jammed or something?

It sounds like a dead lens, but it couldn't hurt to give 'er a good cleaning, lube job, and try to manually move the lens transport (the gears could be on a 'flat' spot).  As a last resort, fiddle with the pots and see if it helps any.

What are "pots"? :P

nat

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 06:18:49 AM »

I tried to move the laser, but it won't budge. Is this a sign that it may be jammed or something?

Yes, definitely.

What are "pots"? :P

Potentiometers. They are screw-like devices that control the intensity of the laser.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:07:27 AM by nat »

awack

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 06:58:51 AM »
Did you make sure to turn your duo was on before trying to move it because if the switch is in the off position the laser wont move even when forcing it by hand .
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:03:03 AM by awack »

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:06:02 AM »
Did you make sure to turn your duo was on before trying to move it because if the switch is in the off position the laser wont move even when forcing it by hand .

Yes, I tried moving it with the power turned on and again while it was 'searching'.

What exactly should I lube and what do I use as lubricant? I remember the poles that the laser unit sits on were very greasy when I swapped the laser in my Duo RX.

nat

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 07:06:31 AM »

Not true. I've moved my Duo's laser many times by hand with the power off.

As a matter of fact, I've never ever moved it with the power on.

awack

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:18:11 AM »
Not true. I've moved my Duo's laser many times by hand with the power off.

As a matter of fact, I've never ever moved it with the power on.

I know, but the situation blacktiger is describing sounds exactly like what happend to me in 2001 with my turbo duo, the laser was all the way to the left next to the spinner and it would make a grr click noise, the laser would not move until i turned the power on.

I hope some one on the board can help you fix your duo.

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:25:35 AM »
I finally opened it up and have narrowed down the part(s) that's not moving-

I took the laser of the tracks to get it over to the right, but that white wheel won't budge. Actually, its that threaded cylinder type thing it intersects with. I was able to move the white wheel a bit by pulling it away from that cylinder.

EDIT: Okay, I just tested everything with the power on and I still couldn't move it, but after hitting Run with the laser at the right side, it moved all the way to the left and is back to only "grr-click"ing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:34:58 AM by Black Tiger »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »
Ahh,when good motors go bad.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:19:39 AM »
Sounds like either the motor is misbehaving or it's getting the wrong instructions.  Disregard my suggestion to adjust the pots.  I doubt that it would help - if the laser couldn't read the disc, you'd get the "Please set disc" command rather than the "Just a moment..." message.  While it's highly unlikely that anything would've worked loose inside your Duo (unless you like to give it a periodic bitch slap), I'd check all the connections and pray for a loose wire.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »
Sounds like either the motor is misbehaving or it's getting the wrong instructions.  Disregard my suggestion to adjust the pots.  I doubt that it would help - if the laser couldn't read the disc, you'd get the "Please set disc" command rather than the "Just a moment..." message.  While it's highly unlikely that anything would've worked loose inside your Duo (unless you like to give it a periodic bitch slap), I'd check all the connections and pray for a loose wire.

Thats a possibility. This is the Duo I had sent to me loose in an envelope. :roll:

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
I had a similar problem with my PCE CD recently. Just gave the white wheels a little nudge and it works fine (I got the tip from another thread on this forum by Tatsujin).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »
I have the same problem with one of my duos. I replaced the laser and it didn't fix it. I took the motor out and hooked it up to a battery and it spun. I'm thinking one of these days I might go around replacing caps or something, Idk. Just know that you're not the only one suffering  :wink: