Author Topic: Blurry/filtered graphics  (Read 895 times)

R-Typer

Blurry/filtered graphics
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:40:31 AM »
Well, it's been over a year since the first TG-16 VC game made an appearance on the Wii and still we are forced to suffer blurry/filtered graphics.

Is there any word from anyone 'in the know' whether Hudson (or whoever) will finally relent and at least give us an option to view their releases with sharp, un-filtered graphics?

BigT

Re: Blurry/filtered graphics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:51:21 AM »
I think Nintendo probably wants to maintain simplicity and therefore is unlikely to provide filtering options.

I personally like filtering because I do not think that 256x224 looks very good on a large high resolution display.  Old SDTV CRTs did a good amount of blending/filtering on their own, especially over an RF or composite connection.

If you want options, use an emulator such as Magic Engine on a PC/MAC.

geise

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:27:25 AM »
Sadly any VC game NEOGEO, NES, SNES, Genesis/MD, or TG-16 are going to be filtered and blurry on a HDTV.  It's like running emu's on a LCD Monitor.  They would have to make the game Hi-Res since it's displaying in 480p on a HDTV.  When I get an HDTV I'm keeping my old SDTV CRT, because I'm not having my DUO look like ass.  HDTV's are just not good for old classic games.

R-Typer

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:43:19 AM »
But I'm not running my Wii to an HDTV, just a standard TV via RGB.

Moot point anyhow as NES games on the VC are nice and sharp, so why can't we have the same sharpness with TG16 VC games?

Sinistron

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:10:48 AM »
This is absolutely true- the television doesn't matter.  it's blurred out on whatever screen you play it on.
Only the turbografx emulations suffer from this at that level.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

geise

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
Sorry I didn't know that it was just TG-16.  That's weird.  I guess it's set in the emulation.  However I don't notice it on my regular TV with composite.  Looks the same as my DUO, which is hooked up to the same TV. 

R-Typer

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
If you're used to hooking up the original console to the TV via composite then it's a given that you won't notice the blurriness on TG16 VC games. However, if you're used to see the display via RGB, S-Video (or even PC/Mac/etc) emulation then the difference will be all too obvious and more frustrating as a result.

It's incredibly annoying, especially that we're not even given an option to view TG16 VC games without the blurry filtering.

geise

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
Yeah.  I remember playing MagicEngine on my win95 computer and having it so much sharper since it was on a vga monitor.  However it was easy to see the pixels since it didn't have the scanelines to filter them.  I never really liked the bi-linear filtering.  If I'm using MAME or something on my new widescreen lcd I turn off all the blurry filtering and use scanlines.  It would be nice to have a couple filtering options added to the Wii VC emulation.  That way you and others won't have to worry about this filtered nonsense.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
If you're used to hooking up the original console to the TV via composite then it's a given that you won't notice the blurriness on TG16 VC games.

Not quite true, as even composite is noticeably sharper than VC filtering; check out Black Tiger's fantastic comparison pics.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

R-Typer

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
If you're used to hooking up the original console to the TV via composite then it's a given that you won't notice the blurriness on TG16 VC games.

Not quite true, as even composite is noticeably sharper than VC filtering; check out Black Tiger's fantastic comparison pics.

Very good point, nice page that - just goes to show how very bad the TG16 VC filtered graphics are.

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »

I'm impressed that you actually found that page, Necromancer, since it's practically hidden/inaccessable from the actual website :shock:. He had shown me this when I asked him about making a Virtual Console page on his site. It's over a year old, he informed me, and is in need of an update of sorts (JUST LIKE THE OTHER PARTS HE NEEDS TO DO :twisted:), perferably with CD-ROM game comparisions. I'm also hoping that he will be able to work on the audio comparision part, too, since it is an interesting aspect to me.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

BigT

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
From the pics it looks like the wii is doing simple bilinear filtering.  This often makes the image look too soft.  More advanced filtering schemes like the Hires filter in Magic Engine or 2xsai typically give better results.

geise

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:33:17 PM »
That web page was a very nice comparison.  I didn't know the colors were so much more saturated on the VC using composite.  Were these taken on the same TV for the s-video/composite screens?

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:48 AM »
That web page was a very nice comparison.  I didn't know the colors were so much more saturated on the VC using composite.  Were these taken on the same TV for the s-video/composite screens?

The screenshots are all captured. Turbo/PCE systems have pretty clear image output, but the vivid colors get lost. An RGB mod brings out the true colors, whether it is then carried through S-Video or composite-

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/video666.html

The Wii VC is just showing the colors closer to how they really are.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ceti alpha

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:55:06 AM »
That is such an awesome comparison B_T. Can't wait for my S-Video.  =P~

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"