Author Topic: A Holiday Celebration Board.  (Read 15301 times)

ceti alpha

Re: A Holiday Celebration Board.
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that August 4th was Natal Day here in Halifax.

What's that then?  :-k

Natal Day is just another word for birthday. :)

http://www.natalday.org/

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Digi.k

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »
Not really a holiday but around this time of the month.. August.. and particular August the 14th its known as Hungry Ghosts or Ghost Month..

Anyway it is said that the lower realms (ie HELL) open up and allow ghosts, spirits and deceased ancestors to roam the earth.. But to chinese folk Hell really means something different.. its seen as some Under world passage or maze where the dead go to make amends for sins they did while on earth.. This is where we chinese burn "hell money" its usually done as a way to send money to the deceased so they can spend it in this "hell"

Around august it is advised to best to lay low and not go out late at night especially young and old or NOT do as much activity as it is feared that it attracts wandering spirits causing disturbances in households and the worst possible case brings death.  So most things like construction.. weddings..  usually get put off till the following month..

In the old days chinese folk would offer incense, food and material offerings to appease the spirits.. unfortunately this practise seems to be on the wane as more and more asian folk become westernize (i guess).. So if you see asians/chinese folk performing strange rituals maybe in the street you'll know they are trying to appease the spirits. :P

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:54:25 PM by Digi.k »

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »
Silly me :P #-o. In the midist of the launch of Sunteam_Paul's website update and the work ethic I've been doing lately, I've forgotten to annouce Labor Day for the United States, which was two days ago. I hope that everyone whom had celebrated it had a nice day off (which I certainly did).
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Joe Redifer

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
"Work ethic"?

By the way, I worked on Labor Day.

ceti alpha

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 02:25:09 AM »
"Work ethic"?

That's a crime against humanity. It was Labor Day up here above the 49th as well, but we call it Labour Day.  :mrgreen:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2008, 02:35:01 AM »
Happy belated Labor Day to everyone.  Also happy Ramadan to any forum terrorists lurking about.

You're supposed to - it's not called Lay About Day.  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2008, 04:22:32 PM »
"Work ethic"?

With the amount of college work, video game playing, and Internet business that I've been taking care of lately, I've been pretty busy with my life right now. What did you work on that day (if it wasn't your job/carerr) :wink:? Even with that, I hope your day was good, also.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

ceti alpha

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 10:33:29 AM »
Happy belated Labor Day to everyone.  Also happy Ramadan to any forum terrorists lurking about.

HAhA!  :o Political correctness is for n00bs.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2008, 03:32:45 AM »
Today's Suicide Prevention Day, so if you see someone who looks a bit down, give 'em a hug.  You never know, you just might save a life..... or get a date..... or get a punch in the nose.

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2008, 05:10:21 AM »
Today is the 7th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the Twin Towers in New York. May we remember those who died on that day (I'm wearing an American shirt especially to commermorate this historic event).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2008, 05:17:55 AM »
I'm wearing an American shirt especially to commemorate this historic event.

Is it labeled as 'Made In China'?

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2008, 06:22:43 AM »
I'm wearing an American shirt especially to commemorate this historic event.

Is it labeled as 'Made In China'?

Nope. It is labeled as "Made in U.S.A." 8).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:31:40 AM by Game and Watch Kir »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2008, 04:12:26 AM »
Nope. It is labeled as "Made in U.S.A." 8).

That's dang surprising.  :clap:

------------------------

Happy National Video Games Day to everyone.  I plan to celebrate the occasion by wasting most of my work day playing silly flash games online followed by Bomberman and Xak III at home tonight.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:06 AM »
Happy Citizenship Day to my fellow Americans.  While you commemorate the anniversary of the Constitution's ratification, don't forget to thank GeeDub for crapping all over it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:13 AM »
Where's electrohaze?  Shiver me timbers, it be Talk Like a Pirate Day!  Yarr!!