Author Topic: A Holiday Celebration Board.  (Read 15123 times)

Game and Watch Kirby

A Holiday Celebration Board.
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
It's now time to put my plan into action! From now on when a holiday is celebrated, it will be written in this topic instead of making separate ones for each. It'll be much more convienient

Today is April Fool's Day, so I can hope that at least the majority of folks have laid down a prank or two to someone else :P. I didn't have much of a chance to, since I was pretty busy for most of the day :(.

I do have an important announcement, though. I will be gone from the forums for quite a while. I need to get things done and set up for my Wii, so I'm afraid I won't be visiting for the time. Plus, I could be playing Blazing Lazers, which might lessen the time even more for here. Goodbye for now...

GOTCHA! APRIL FOOL :mrgreen:!

I will not be TOO busy to be on these forums, at least for the time. I haven't downloaded Blazing Lazers from Virtual Console, either, but the Internet Channel, Lords of Thunder, and Super Mario Bros. (I'll go into more detail on this later). I know this board was made late in the day for me, but at least I was able to make this in time.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Turbo D

Re: A Holiday Celebration Board.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
wow, you got me there kirby

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:15:38 AM »
Happy belated Fools Day everyone.  This year, I kept the pranks pretty low key.  After a fruitful day of dialing people at random, playing the part of the county coroner, and asking them to come down to identify a body, I went to my girl's place and told her 'we need to talk'.  After a half hour of her asking why, tears, and me explaining that I'm in love with her sister, I could no longer keep a straight face and had to let her in on the joke; the look on her face when I yelled April Fools was priceless.  Good time, good times.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nectarsis

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:33:56 AM »
^ ROFLMAO Necro
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Dark Fact

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »
Quote from: Necromancer
Happy belated Fools Day everyone.  This year, I kept the pranks pretty low key.  After a fruitful day of dialing people at random, playing the part of the county coroner, and asking them to come down to identify a body, I went to my girl's place and told her 'we need to talk'.  After a half hour of her asking why, tears, and me explaining that I'm in love with her sister, I could no longer keep a straight face and had to let her in on the joke; the look on her face when I yelled April Fools was priceless.  Good time, good times.
Was the doghouse warm enough for you? :-"

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »
Today is Earth Day in the United States (this holiday was celebrated a month ago in Canada but I'm unsure if it is celebrated anywhere else). This means that it would be a good opportunity to try to do an action that is helpful to save the planet (if desired, of course). What I do/did is turn unplug any appliances that are not in use, and recycle any empty water by putting them in designated bins.

Whole Foods had also annouced that it would initiate the "use-again shopping bags" policy up to this point. Has this been of any success? I have not gone to any food shopping there for quite a while, so I cannot say if it was.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

nat

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:56 PM »
I try to live as Earth-friendly as I can, all the time. We always use those reusable shopping bags for instance, use "green" paper towels and kitty litter, etc. For me, every day is Earth Day! It's the Earth Century!

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
I'm like nat; I try to live everyday as earth day  8)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »
I decided that since I love the planet, I would not flush any toilets today.  I also refrained from showering, brushing my teeth, washing any clothes, using tissue (just used curtains or my shirt instead), wiping my anus after using the toilet, driving my car to the mailbox (I walked to the end of the driveway from the garage instead).  I also made sure all lights and power wherever I went was shut off at the breaker panel, gave people who used water for any reason a stern lecture about our poor planet and I hugged a polar bear who was stranded on a floating block of ice (yes, I also remembered to hug a tree).  Everyone appreciated these kind gestures from myself and showered with with praise and admiration.  How DARE we use resources from this planet!

Now I want to beat up a hippie.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:29:55 PM by Joe Redifer »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 02:57:37 AM »
Happy belated Earth Day!  Like nat, I try to be kind to Mother Earth every day.

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:14:03 AM »
Today is Earth Day in the United States (this holiday was celebrated a month ago in Canada but I'm unsure if it is celebrated anywhere else).

Earth Day is celebrated around the world on the same day. It wouldn't be much of an "Earth Day" if every country celebrated it on different months of the year. :wink:

I declare April 23 Northern Hemisphere Day! We can celebrate all our excesses and consumerism on one special day.  :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:48:02 AM »
Earth Day is celebrated around the world on the same day. It wouldn't be much of an "Earth Day" if every country celebrated it on different months of the year. :wink:

Incorrect, sir.  Earth Day for many parts of the world is on the Spring equinox; in the U.S. and many other countries, it's on April 22nd.

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:53 AM »

Incorrect, sir.  Earth Day for many parts of the world is on the Spring equinox; in the U.S. and many other countries, it's on April 22nd.

OK, sir, there are two Earth Days:  one was started by the UN that is celebrated in the northern hemisphere in the spring equinox and in the autumn in the southern hemisphere. The other Earth Day (the more famous Earth Day I think we are actually talking about) is celebrated by 500 million people in 175 countries on April 22nd of every year. These two Earth Days have completely different origins and are celebrated separate from each other. Most countries celebrate the "April 22nd" Earth Day. The equinox Earth Days are a totally different event.

I guess my Northern Hemisphere Day idea wasn't really that far off. Seems like we already have one, but call it "Earth Day". :P In any case, my main point was that Earth Day in Canada is on the 22nd. But, Canada also celebrated the equinox Earth Day last month like Kirby stated, along with the US and Europe and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere.

So, if I haven't confused you by this point, I'll be amazed.  :wink:  Anyway, Happy belated Earth Day!  :mrgreen:

Here's the wiki that explains it much better than I just did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:20:58 AM by ceti alpha »

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »
Happy Mother's Day to all.

The time seems to be right to tell of the "family business" I had gone through a few months ago. Some may already be aware of this, but I will state it here in tribute of my own mother. This is a sad circumstance, even on this particular day, which may not be suitable for some to hear:

Two years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, which she had found out from an ulcered one on her left side. She had managed to cope with it in the time. Shortly around Christmas last year, the cancer had gotten worse, causing her to lose her sight and mobility. Shortly after my birthday, which was on January 15th, she was finally  taken to Southern Hills hospital for hopeful treatment. Family members would visit her everyday until she had passed away on March 8 at relatively 8:45 P.M. We returned to New Jersey to put her in the proper burial in the Saint Mary of the Lake church, just as she had requested.

Stating this, I no longer have a mother to celebrate Mother's Day to. No one has to worry about me for this, however, as I've managed to cope with it well.

I know I always do these holiday celebrations at night, but I'm just so busy during the day oftentimes ](*,).  I'll try to do them earlier in the day for now on.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 07:27:25 PM by Game and Watch Kir »

nodtveidt

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »
I would say to consider yourself lucky. When I think of the woman I was forced to call "mom" growing up, all I think of is hatred and resentment. Whether she is alive or dead is immaterial to me, but I hope for the latter. At least you have good memories to hold onto. Don't let go of them like so many others do.

My wife and I normally do not take part in Hallmark holidays, but we did this year...sort of. I got her a scented oil burner with a horse on it, and we got her mother an African-styled wall hanging.