Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress/PC Engine GT: Video Fix  (Read 19253 times)

Platinumfungi

Re: Breaking News! TURBOEXPRESS / PC ENGINE GT VIDEO FIX!
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
I see how you remote mount. Is there just enough space to mount SM caps on this thing? Anyone know a trick how to solder SM caps on VS having to use wires?

Also, can you post the list of caps values and quantities that I will need to order (I will probably just want to replace all of them since there aren't that many)?

Sub Mini caps will work instead of remote mounting  :D That's what I've been using on all the ones I've repaired.

Awhile back I made a cap replacement chart here in the Repair/Mod forum. It's called "Turbo Express total cap replacement chart ". That will give you all the values and quantities you need. I also made one for the Duo too in there somewhere...

nat

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »
Insufficient space for the cap is not why I remote mount, it's more a factor of laziness and wanting to avoid dealing with the extremely confining space on the TE PCB. But yeah, you can surface mount to your heart's content. To each his own.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 03:20:14 PM »
Definitely! Sorry if that came out sounding rude Nat. I just wanted to make sure Duo_R knew that he/she could indeed just use smaller caps if they didn't want to run the wires.

nat

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
Definitely! Sorry if that came out sounding rude Nat. I just wanted to make sure Duo_R knew that he/she could indeed just use smaller caps if they didn't want to run the wires.

Oops, my reply was directed towards Duo_R, not you.

Duo_R

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 04:35:35 PM »
uhh - I am a he, not a he/she.  :roll:

Yeah Nat, I actually figured out how to avoid the wires, but then realized that in the original post you didn't use wires for the vid cap (just the audio caps). I am not questioning your work, definitely one of the veteran modders on here.

Now the real question Nat is can u make a good RGB amp??? That is something I have yet to try.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:37:15 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Platinumfungi

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2008, 04:41:15 AM »
Nat - No prob :D

Duo_R - Ha! You know what I meant.

agt_dale_cooper

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
Confirmed working here...Radio Shit P/N 272-1024, 4.7uF, 35V, $1.19.  Can't find anything 35V submini at Parts Express (my new favorite store, thanks again, PCEH), but did find a 50V submini (020-1654) which I think is easier to stash in the CRAMPED space where this thing goes.  [Noting along the way that the white stuff is the vicinity of this cap is space-filling FOAM, and can easily be broken off to provide more real estate...]  Not sure I want to exceed the original voltage spec, though...will find a way to jam the 35V in (NICE pics, folks!), will test the quality of my soldering job by bending the bejesus out of the leads...now I get to do the audio fix on this thing, because the audio sucks.  Yay. [Thrilled smiley omitted]

Duo_R

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
I found a way to install the Vid cap pretty easily, even if it is a larger cap. I will post up pictures later, but u just keep the legs long, solder, and then bend the cap over to the other side of the PCB, and almost a 90 degree angle (perpendicular to the board on the other side) this fits nicely into a space in the system housing. It is a snap to install this way.
Add my YouTube channel:

agt_dale_cooper

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »
Correction:  Parts Express 50V submini is 020-1634.  Fits in space provided without having to bend the bejesus out of anything...hope the higher voltage doesn't screw anything up...

Windsor75

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
Hello :)

Because it's my first message, I'll introduce myself a little. I'm 33 and just came in the "Nec World" I didn't know. I bought two months ago a Duo-RX and some weeks ago a GT.

This GT needed one or two minutes of "warm up" before the screen displayed the game clearly. I read this topic, and thought about replacing the cap at the top of the mobo. But because I never did this kind of stuff, I didn't.

But sadly, yesterday evening, after I played a game, I turned it off and on with another game, but the screen never turned on. I only had the backlight.

So, I have two questions, before I try to repair it :
- I suppose that changing the cap could fix it, am I right ? Or is the screen dead ?
- Is it difficult to do for someone who never did it ?

Thanx for your answer

Platinumfungi

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 02:07:25 AM »
Hey Windsor, welcome aboard.

Having a backlight but no picture definitely sounds like the issue discussed in this topic.

As far as whether or not it's difficult really depends on your level of experience with electronics. If you have used a soldering iron before and have some familiarity with circuit boards then you should be good.

If not, then I'd suggest practicing on some broken circuit board or buy some project board from Radio Shack. You can look on Youtube or do a google search for "proper soldering" or "soldering techniques" or something like that to get some good instructions.

Use a 15 watt soldering iron to be safe (which you can get from Radio Shack for around $8 if you need one).

It's not hard once you get familiar with soldering, but I'd highly recommend having a little practice under your belt from a different pcb before you work on this one.

Good luck!

Windsor75

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:30 AM »
Hi Red Ghost,

Thank you for your advice. I think I'll train on an old VCR I have before fixing my GT !

Platinumfungi

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2009, 03:45:05 AM »
Sounds like a great idea. Let us know if you need more help/direction.

ColterF

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
Nat/ Punchy Pedo,

Did the backlight work before you fixed it, did you games have audio, I'm having a similar issue but not sure if its the same, my TE will turn out, the backlight goes on, but no sound, no picture.

Duo_R

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
I have done a good amount of TE's, and I have seen bad sound, bad video, and bad sound AND bad video cap Turbo Expresses. It is extremely rare to find one that truly has a bad screen. In this lot that I fixed, one of them had bad sound, and when it arrived at my door from the owner, it also had bad video cap. My advice is to just replace all the caps (related to sound/vid) while you have it opened.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:36:56 PM by Duo_R »
Add my YouTube channel: