Author Topic: TURBO DUO DELAYED IN SOUND FIX  (Read 299 times)

turbokon

TURBO DUO DELAYED IN SOUND FIX
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
I don't know if this have been posted yet or not but I thought I share this information since I always seem to take informations from this forum but have not been able to give back.  Anyway, as some of you know, I picked up my current duo from ebay back in Feburary with sound issues.  First, I was only getting sound from the right channel.  I opened it up and found that someone or the previous owner already replaces the two caps on the post amp side and one cap on the pre opt side and they did a piss poor job on one of the caps on the post opt amp side.  They burnt off a trace from one of the caps contact point so I re-routed it to a near by resistor.  That fixed gave me stereo sound.  Then I experience a crackling or staticly sound and it would drop on and off.  I opened my duo again and I see and smell the bad cap, this was the 22uf three one down on the pre-amp side and I also went ahead in replaced the 10uf right above it to.  That fixed my sound issues again.  And then, I got a new sound issues.  The soundtrack wouldn't come on until the 3rd stage of playing sapphire, that the game I've been playing alot lately.  And trust me, sound does make or brake a game.  I opened the duo again.  I'm a firm believer that if it isn't broken don't mess with it.  I don't want to have to replace all the caps coming in from the sound chip if I didn't have to.  With a magnifyer and a flash light, I examine the caps around the heat shink area and saw two was discolored when compare to the other caps, it was the 22uf (red) and 47uf(blue).  I replace them and voila, I have instant sound :lol:
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com