Author Topic: Shooter parodies  (Read 618 times)

doomfarer75

Shooter parodies
« on: February 15, 2005, 07:37:31 AM »
Hey I just ordered Parodius da (hucard) and star parodia (SCD)  along with shock man..has anyone played these games?  They look fantastic
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Nutribrain

Shooter parodies
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 07:59:58 AM »
Parodius and Star Parodia are both quality shooters with a funny twist. Parodius is a funny version of the Gradius series by Konami and has wonderful graphics. Same power-up system as the Gradius games and Salamander. Star Parodia is by Hudson and also has very good graphics. You can also select a PC-Engine vessel to shoot your enemies.

Keranu

Shooter parodies
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 08:03:41 AM »
I love both of these great games, especially Star Parodia!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Shooter parodies
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 08:19:22 AM »
I am jealous of you bastards.  I've wanted Star Parodia for a long time, but I always end up ordering a bunch of cheap crappy titles (i.e. Japanese Bravoman) instead of getting things on my want list (Spriggan II, ChoAniki, Ys IV, etc)
  |    | 

esteban

Shooter parodies
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 08:21:48 AM »
oh yes, this topic reminded me:  has anyone done a retrospective of Cute-em-ups?  I have a half-finished project on cute-em-ups for our beloved system, but I always fear that someone out there has done a better job, so I never finish it.  

I am interested in any cute-em-up coverage, not simply PCE shoot-em-ups.
  |    | 

Zerojean

Shooter parodies
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 08:45:31 AM »
Shockman (Shubibinman 2) > Rockman.

In fact Mega/Rockman is all shit, Shubibinman is rox.
Baseley09 in disguise.

doomfarer75

Shooter parodies
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »
yeah...I've wanted parodius since seeing it in EGM long ago...little did i know then it would never come to the us turbo...then I ran across star parodia....someones's  posting about how they enjoyed shockman on this site and the fact that it is kinda like megaman spurred me to track it down....can't wait!  hopefully i'll win symphony of the night 2 nite and by the end of the weekend finish Dracula X...so i can compare both..X rocks..and its challenging...the hype was correct!  I love collecting these great games....
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Keranu

Shooter parodies
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 04:27:33 PM »
Well I don't actually own Star Parodia, but I downloaded it a year ago and had much fun with it. Hopefully I'll be able to buy the real copy soon.

As far as Shubibin Man goes, I think the first two have a really fun concept to them, but they are just so crappily made. The third one, however, is such a massive improvement and totally rules! I've always hated Megaman, so Shubibinman over Mega/Rockman ANY DAY! By the way, Shubibin Man 2 (Shockman) is the only real Megaman rip off of the series IMO.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Zerojean

Shooter parodies
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 12:12:52 AM »
Yeah part 2 is most in common with Rockman, I still think the first game is real cool, its really old....and looks it heh, but has nice features for its time.
Baseley09 in disguise.

Keranu

Shooter parodies
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 05:14:24 AM »
Yes, I really like the concept of the first game with the map and all. The controls are really poor though and the graphics aren't so hot, but I don't mind them too much. The music ain't too bad actually. If they fixed the problems with the game, it would be much more enjoyable.

esteban

Shooter parodies
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 09:32:13 PM »
holy snap, you folks have actually convinced me to give "shockman" series another shot.  Of course I thought the final CD game was nice-looking, but I have been very critical of it.  Naturally, the predecessors got even less love (the controls suck hardcore, as Keranu already said).

Still, I admit that I hardly gave these games a chance... and perhaps I will grow to love them as well.  

Am I silly for thinking that  Shubibin Man 3 has the same flavor as Gunstar Heroes?  Or is that too far a stretch?

also, somebody tell me if there is a cute-em-up retrospective out there somewhere!
  |    | 

Zerojean

Shooter parodies
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 06:08:31 AM »
Im was never too keen on Gunstar Heroes really, sure its good but Shubibnman is more my style, no.3 might be a little easy.
Baseley09 in disguise.

Keranu

Shooter parodies
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 08:54:47 AM »
I can kind of see how you could compaire Shubibin Man 3 to Gunstar Heroes, but I think it's a little far fetched. I think it's the awesome action-packedness in both games that makes them compairable like that. But gameplay and everything, they are quite different. I think I like Shubibin Man 3 more overall because it's such a fun and awesome game. It's short and easy, but you learn to appreciate it after the first couple of times you beat it. Speaking of this game, can anyone sell me the original for a reasonable price?

esteban

Shooter parodies
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 11:39:38 AM »
hey keranu, i'll give you my copy (no spine card) if alex chiu sends you a ring!  :)
  |    | 

esteban

Shooter parodies
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I can kind of see how you could compaire Shubibin Man 3 to Gunstar Heroes, but I think it's a little far fetched. I think it's the awesome action-packedness in both games that makes them compairable like that. But gameplay and everything, they are quite different. I think I like Shubibin Man 3 more overall because it's such a fun and awesome game. It's short and easy, but you learn to appreciate it after the first couple of times you beat it. Speaking of this game, can anyone sell me the original for a reasonable price?

yeah, i like how both games are constantly changing things around... quite frenetic and full-of action.... they also strike me as having a similar atmosphere or something... like they both take place in the same "universe"  ...

my offer still stands, by the way.
  |    |