Author Topic: Can Supergrafx Japan play US PC engine games?  (Read 1340 times)

RCduck7

Can Supergrafx Japan play US PC engine games?
« on: February 19, 2005, 11:36:20 AM »
Hi, i'm new and about to buy a Japanish supergrafx.

Can this system play US games?

If not, is there an adapter for this available or will a pc engine adapter on supergrafx work?

I know it did't sell in great numbers so i guess it's not likely there will be an adapter.

Regards
RCduck7
don't be human... be peacefull

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 01:06:40 PM »
Hello, RCduck7.

No, a Super Grafx cannot play US hucards. I think there is an adapter out there that converts Japanese PC Engine games to play on a US Turbo Grafx 16 or Turbo DUO system, but I am not positive on that. As for it working on the Super Grafx, I don't see why it wouldn't work since it can play Japanese PC Engine hucards.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »
Thanks for the quik reply.

Did some searching and find Jap>US converter.
Since all varitions PC engine, Supergrafx,... are hucard i think it will work.
Except that the supergrafx is more powerfull (for the few games that came out for it) but i don't think that will get in the way to make it work as it is backwards compatible.

Hope to get my supergrafx.

Have a turboexpress but looking forward playing it on the big screen.  :D

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 02:35:02 PM »
Very nice. Enjoy the Super Grafx? By the way, how much did you pay for it? They are expensive.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Nutribrain

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:31:00 AM »
There was a discussion about this subject some months ago here on this board. As far as I know there's no converter which allows you to play US HuCards on your japanese system, but there's a hack out there. Look at this page here. You'll have to do some soldering modifications to your SuperGrafx. Or try D-Lite's page at http://www.multimods.com/. It seems that he's doing those modifications. He also posts here.

I own two japanese systems (PCE and SuperGrafx) but as there aren't not so many US only cards out there, I'm not interested in doing this kind of midification to my systems. In my opinion the US only cards, as for some exceptions, aren't good enough to justify such a risky job.

Zerojean

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 03:57:10 AM »
I think you have to have it modded, there is no straight converter AFAIK.

Contact D-~Lite, he sells pre-modded units sometimes, as well as doing mods.
Baseley09 in disguise.

RCduck7

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 07:03:30 AM »
I don't have the unit in my possesion yet but have won it today on ebay for not much at all.
I will make use of the quik and insurance sending.
That will cost a lot but i would be afraid of it not arriving when i would use regular post and wait for it more then 30 days.
Here's the link:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8169241184&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

PS: I'm not intrested of making it play US supergrafx titels as there are only a few released BUT i'm intrested to make it play us pc engine titles as i allready have a lot of them and not a single from another region.
I will look into it once the system arrived.

Thanks for the link. :)

Zerojean

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 07:31:53 AM »
Woah shit you won all that??

If so  nice score!!

BTW, there are no USA Supergrafx titles, it was never released there.
Baseley09 in disguise.

RCduck7

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 08:59:59 AM »
Yep!

Hopefully i won't get a message from him that he won't sell it to me as i won it for so little but i think it wouldn't be legal to do this on ebay.

As for the converter i'm sure i saw one for sale at a shop online for a japanish pc engine to play us hucards. don't know for sure it will work on the supergrafx (i contacted them and waiting for an answer) but the price was quit hefty and i could buy with the money a TG16 instead.
I think it's best to get my hands dirty and do the mod myself.

An other mather is the Jap CD2 add on... Would this need some modification to or isn't it worth it? If there are US or PAL RPG/Adventures i guess it would.

But i shut up for now with all that speculation as i don't posess it yet.

Zerojean

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 11:09:31 AM »
CD games are universal, any game works on any country machine.
Baseley09 in disguise.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 12:25:02 PM »
Lots o' cool stuff in that auction.

dj898

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 04:58:22 PM »
get SuperCD-ROM module.
it wil fit right on the back of SGX which saves from using CD-ROM adapter for CD-ROM2 module.

cheers

D-Lite

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 03:02:20 AM »
To play US HuCards on any Japanese PC Engine/SuperGrafx, you need to:

1.  Ground pin #29 on the Hu6280 processor.  YOU HAVE TO do that.
2.  Use an external converter such as the Kisado adapter or install an 8PDT switch on the unit, modifying the HuCard slot.

Really the ultimate setup is a region modded SuperGrafx with a SuperCD Rom2 attachment and the Arcade Card Pro.  With that combo you can play ANY game made for either JP or US systems!
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

RCduck7

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 05:45:18 AM »
Thanks a lot it's all getting clear now.

PS: Kereanu, have clicked on that banner... uhm, do you were those magnets when you sleep? Does it work?

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 07:12:04 AM »
Haha, thanks for clicking on the banner.

The magnets are suppose to be worn during sleep, but can be worn anytime after sleep if you want. I do not know if it works because I haven't received my rings yet (they should be here 2-3 weeks :P ), so I really can't say yet. There is a testomony page on that site somewhere that has lots of people saying how it has helped them. This could all just be a scam too, but you never know :P .