Author Topic: Ys 6 PS2  (Read 1158 times)

KingDrool

Ys 6 PS2
« on: February 24, 2005, 12:17:15 AM »
So, did anyone pick this up?  I got it on release day and it sure is Ys.  I only got to play for about a half hour, but it plays and feels a lot like the classic games.

Thoughts?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:54:24 AM »
I haven't bought it, but I'll try to rent it sometime. I was so glad to hear that Konami brought back the original Falcom soundtrack! I am still dissapointed that they had to get rid of the 2D sprites and cinemas though :( .

Welcome back to America, Ys!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 11:25:04 AM »
so, this is out in the US?  I don't own ps2, but I'll have to purchase a copy so... ten years from now... i can play it.  I'm gonna tell my brother to get it.  no, i don't keep up on current generation stuff :)
  |    | 

Keranu

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:07:53 PM »
I don't have a PS2 either, so I'm going to have to wait for my brother, who does have a PS2, to come back home from college in a couple of weeks and rent it then.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

D-Lite

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »
I just picked it up today at GameStop.  If you're looking for it better look soon.  They only had 3 come in and I got the last one only a couple days now after release.  Haven't had the chance to fire it up yet but all the retro gamers are saying it's really good!
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

KingDrool

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 12:02:44 AM »
I played about two hours of it yesterday and am finding it to be a lot like the classic Ys games.  You have to do a lot of leveling up if you want to stand a chance against enemies as you progress through it, so I spent a lot of time hacking and slashing my way around.  I do like the fact that ALL of the dialogue is voice-acted, even though some may argue that the voice acting is questionable.  I'm not much of a voice snob, though.  After all, I grew up with games like Final Zone 2 and Addam's Family on the Turbo.  ;)
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Pcenginefx

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 05:30:15 PM »
I have yet to play it personally, but I'm waiting for the US PSP version to be released (I think it is set for April).  PSM gave Ys: AoN a good score (8.? out of 10.0 I believe), IGN gave it a 7.8, and GameSpot gave a 7.5.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

KingDrool

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 12:15:48 AM »
Yeah, that's about right.  I'll probably buy the PSP version as well.  It seems like a really good on-the-go game.  I got a bit further into it, and still really enjoy it.  There's a lot of leveling up to be done, but that's Ys for you...

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 07:16:14 AM »
I'd rather play Ys VI on the PC or PS2 instead of a portable. RPGs seem a lot more fun on a TV (or monitor in this case).

Pcenginefx

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 08:44:16 AM »
Have you personally played a PSP yet Keranu?  If not, you will change your mind when you see Ys VI on it :)  I was fortunate enough to play a PSP here at work, and man the unit feels and looks amazing.  I already paid my pre-order off, and want to get something other than a racing-type of game for it (so far I'm getting Ridge Racer, Mercury, Wipeout Pure, Lumines and Puzzle Bobble).
//Aaron

Keranu

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »
No, I haven't. But the fact that you would have to look at something you hold to play a long game would just be a lot easier and more enjoyable on a TV I'd say. Also aren't the battery lives on the PSP suppose to suck? Of course an AC adapter would solve that.

Pcenginefx

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 02:55:36 PM »
Oh yah, that is true (about playing games on a TV vs a portable).

As for the battery life of the PSP, you will get a minimum of 5 hours of constant game time with one charge, however this is highly subjective.  Adjusting volume and brightness can greatly increase/decrease this number but on average 5 constant hours of game time is what I've seen.  Sony has already announced a new battery that has 30% more life, so I'm not at all worried about it.
//Aaron

Keranu

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 07:02:59 AM »
That's nice to hear about the battery life, because a friend in school told me that it had like three hours. That would've sucked.

Bake

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 07:21:53 AM »
I beat it... it's not as hard as Y's book I and II and the music isn't great compared to the other Ys games.  Not a huge area to explore either.  Still pretty cool but I wouldn't say its as great as an adventure as Book I and II.  Reminds me a lot of a link to the past.  I def recommend it, it was fun

monads

Ys 6 PS2
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 08:18:33 AM »
The battery life is what turned me away from a PSP.  It really depends on the game and how hard it pushes the system I've read.  It reminds me of the old TurboExpress days where battery life sucked.  Yea you can get an adapter but then what's the point of calling it a portable?