Author Topic: PC Engine LT with No Backlight - Help Needed  (Read 573 times)

mbrayf

PC Engine LT with No Backlight - Help Needed
« on: November 01, 2008, 04:36:41 AM »
Good Afternoon All,  I have a LT which is working great apart from one thing... the backlight has ceased to work, which is causing a few headaches. If anyone has had this problem before or knows how to fix, I would be very grateful. I am a newb here so please be gentle (sunteam_paul recommended this forum, so thanks go out to him in advance).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:39:21 PM by mbrayf »
Too many consoles, not enough time!!!!

mbrayf

Re: PC Engine LT with No Backlight - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:30 PM »
OK, as no one seems to have had this problem before, is there anyone who can point me to a guide to taking the screen apart to get at the bulb to test it???? I would have a go blind but I am scared of buggering up my working LT.

kid_rondeau

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:58 PM »
Dude, I WISH I had an LT to have a problem with...I think that those of us who are fortunate enough to have one probably wouldn't want to take them apart if we didn't have to. I wish you luck in your search though.

Duo_R

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
sounds like a vid cap fix to me. See Nat's post if you want to DIY:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5015.0
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

mbrayf

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
sounds like a vid cap fix to me. See Nat's post if you want to DIY:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5015.0

Thanks for the advice... but the screen is working as it was designed, if you shine a torch on to it apart from blinding you the grafx are all present and correct, just no backlight.  :(

If this cap replacement will cure this (verification needed) i will do it with pleasure and post pics of the before and after...

chop5

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 05:30:55 AM »
ive seen very little info on the backlite bulb. some on assemblers site where he shows it taken apart. Post some pics if you can. this would be a good oppurtunity to start a info/tutorial.
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

nat

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately my fix won't restore a dead backlight. I've never seen one go out before-- so not sure on the proper repair procedure. Sorry.

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »
I wonder if this screen can be LED modded, which would improve battery life.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

mbrayf

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 06:30:16 AM »
Right, as soon as i get a full day free of distractons i will have a go at stripping the LT and finding the back light culprit. Photo's will be taken and if i fix it they will be posted (on the other hand if i bugger it up they will be burned and i will deny ever having attempted it).   :pray:

And thanks for the honest messages and i will keep you all appraised.

mbrayf

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:52 AM »
right, I have taken the LT apart and found that the backlight bulb is broken.  :(
If anyone can help with a replacement or source for one it would be appreciated.
PS pics to follow.
Right, more details....
the bulb is a w shaped ccfl tube which is 90mm tall and 55mm wide (all outside measurments) the center of the w only goes down 82mm not the full 90 of the two edge pieces.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 04:02:19 AM by mbrayf »

mbrayf

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 05:06:23 AM »
pic as promised...

kid_rondeau

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 05:29:55 AM »
Shit dude,
that looks like it's going to be very hard to replace as is...what is it? Is it a 12V lamp or is it LED-based?

...I was expecting a normal lamp of somekind. But who knows? Maybe someone knows where to find one!

mbrayf

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean... it's actually a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp and that PCB you see connected to it is an AC inverter giving about 350volts which is needed to energize this type of tube. this is one of the reasons i was reluctant to open the unit, and defiantly didn't power it when open.
On a foot note, the cable to this only carries 6.5volts DC, so that inverter is an impressive piece of engineering.

kid_rondeau

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 06:50:43 AM »
Right right, an impressive inverter indeed...is the transformer on the flipside of that PCB? If the electronics are working properly it might be possible to find just the bulb...but there's no telling how much that would cost.

If the bulb is removable, try taking it out and powering up the device and checking for 350VAC out of the socket...well, of course only if you know what you're doing, and if you're not afraid of being exposed to it.

It should be a substantially low current, though, not enough to cause any serious injury. I still wouldn't go making out with it or anything.

mbrayf

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »
it is just the bulb that is broken, check out the bottom right bit of it in the picture... and yes I can remove it from the pcb as it is just one wire at each end.