Author Topic: USA (California) 'Book-Off' stores....  (Read 180 times)

agt_dale_cooper

USA (California) 'Book-Off' stores....
« on: December 27, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »
Was down in San Diego proper today, visiting Mitsuwa Market (the local Japanese grocery store) today....looked across the parking lot, and lo-and-behold, they had some sort of used DVD/Books/CDs joint...

As an avid collector of such things (my CD collection is 2500+ titles...), I stuck my head in the door and was floored:
1)  Japanese stuff ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!  Seems they're importing used Japanese CD/DVD/DS/PS1-2-3-P/Wii titles into the US and selling them USED!!!!  [Freaked when I walked in the door, I was like, "oohhh....where's the PCE and Saturn section, please?"...they unfortunately for them don't carry them....I'd have bought it all!]  NICE prices on stuff (they had the first "Bleach" title for Wii for $25, for example), AND the staff is all Japanese, so you can easily drag one of them through the store and say 'what does this say?  this? this? this? this? and this?
2)  Phenomenal selection of Japanese/USA/whatever stuff....they buy from any region.  Even saw the bootleg Chinese DVDs that are always floating around....
3)  TONS of anime shit.  If you like anime, highly recommended.  Has both books, VHS, USA and JAP DVD.
4)  Prices quite reasonable....picked up Duran Duran's "Pop Trash" (J) $5 SEALED, New Order's "International" (UK version with bonus audio CD instead of USA bonus DVD) for $9, New Order's "Get Ready" (I largely ignored this when it came out, it seems...) for $5, and a copy of Snow (remember this idiot?) "Remixes" (J) for $3...saw some nice NIN, Offspring, Metallica, Bowie stuff, but I've got it all....literally held my breath looking for BT's Movement In Still Life (J), but it didn't happen...RRRRRR!
5)  Great selection of 'clearance' stuff, too...great rates on 'filler' stuff for your collection..

See http://www.bookoff.co.jp/en/index.html , click on the various locations:  Los Angeles (2), Hawaii (1), Costa Mesa (1), and San Diego (1).
If you're lucky enough to live in either San Diego or Costa Mesa/LA, I highly recommend checking the place out....

I was with somebody else (who was driving), so I think I'm actually gonna go back tomorrow and give the place a going over with the fine tooth comb....

Tatsujin

Re: USA (California) 'Book-Off' stores....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
book offs do rarelly carry older games than PSone nowadays. not even here in japan. if you have luck, they have gb, gba, sfc games as well. therefore you need a hard off over there. my be they will come one day :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^