Author Topic: Race is on B1tches! - How many have you cleared?  (Read 35287 times)

munchiaz

Re: Race is on B1tches! - How many have you cleared?
« Reply #855 on: August 10, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »
Didn't expect to post in here today.

Beat Makai Prince Dorabo Chan on one continue. Decent platformer, though considering it's from Red I would've expected it to be as good as Bonk. It's better than Dragon Egg though.

The art style was very nice. The different armors were pointless though, there should have been only one.

I played this a few years ago and got stuck at the end. Need to give it a try again

lukester

« Reply #856 on: August 11, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »
Sorry for bumping this again  :lol:

I was always interested in the Batman game on this system. Pretty good stuff, I will certainly play it again at some point.

The difficulty was fair even when I had to continue and lost all my power-ups. The final boss gauntlet was completely manageable, though a little anti-climatic.

The 2nd world, the museum, was the most puzzle heavy. A lot of teleports.

Both this and City Hunter have 3 things in common, Sunsoft, easy difficulty, great music.

lukester

« Reply #857 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
At the moment, I have 46 clears. Just counted all the games I've beaten.

I only have about 10 SNES games  :lol: :mrgreen:

jtucci31

« Reply #858 on: August 12, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »
Clear 15: Gate of Thunder 1cc

This was pretty easy after a few playthroughs on Normal. I got all the way to the end boss without losing a life, so it was another 1cc for me. I took some hits but luckily had the shield on me. Now that I've faced and defeated the final boss, I could probably beat this without dying if I spent some more time with it on Normal. All in all though, excellent game. It's probably one of my favorites. The music that plays during the credits may be my favorite track too.

"agein"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:51:18 AM by jtucci31 »

munchiaz

« Reply #859 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »
Clear 15: Gate of Thunder

This was pretty easy after a few playthroughs on Normal. I got all the way to the end boss without losing a life, so it was another 1cc for me. I took some hits but luckily had the shield on me. Now that I've faced and defeated the final boss, I could probably beat this without dying if I spent some more time with it on Normal. All in all though, excellent game. It's probably one of my favorites. The music that plays during the credits may be my favorite track too.

"agein"

Good job. I still need to beat this one

lukester

« Reply #860 on: August 14, 2015, 01:54:51 AM »
Clear #47, Kunio Soccer

Excellent game. Took me a while to understand the best strategies. For the last team I needed to place Kunio right by the goal. I never managed to master the headshot super shot.

It didn't seem like this version had the normal running super shot. But at least I could do the bicycle kick as many times as I wanted.

This FAQ is good since it helps to translate the menus. It was very helpful.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/tg16/563653-nekketsu-koukou-dodge-ball-bu-pc-soccer-hen/faqs/21188

lukester

« Reply #861 on: August 15, 2015, 07:49:27 AM »
Clear 48, Youkai Douchuuki

Been trying to beat this one on and off for the last few years. Got the Hell ending. Reading a guide on the items helps a lot. The bottle is only 2000 money and allows Tarosuke to jump on far away clouds with ease.

Everyone likes to rag on this one a lot, but it actually is better than games like Shubibinman 1. And certainly better than Wonder Momo and Genpei Toumaden.

lukester

« Reply #862 on: August 15, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
Clear 49, Niko Niko Pun

The graphics are nice (even has parallax), but I think they forgot the gameplay. And the music only uses one sound channel with a shitty booping sound. Just because a game is for little kids doesn't mean you can skimp out on quality.

The game is as long as Dragon Egg, but that game had actual level design. And once you beat Niko Niko Pun, they even allow you to do a second loop if you love it so much.

There's only two other positive things about the game.

It's the easiest game in the entire library. and watching the dinosaur get bigger and taller is amusing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:59:07 AM by lukester »

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #863 on: August 15, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »
Clear 48, Youkai Douchuuki

Been trying to beat this one on and off for the last few years. Got the Hell ending. Reading a guide on the items helps a lot. The bottle is only 2000 money and allows Tarosuke to jump on far away clouds with ease.

Everyone likes to rag on this one a lot, but it actually is better than games like Shubibinman 1. And certainly better than Wonder Momo and Genpei Toumaden.
Congrats man! Yeah that extra jump item really makes a difference. I didnt realize what it did till I was at the cloud level and failing over and over already. Im sure I could have cleared it a lot easier if I had realized it did that a lot earlier
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Spooky

« Reply #864 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:03 AM »
Clear #70975: Son Son II

Finally got the clear on this beast (using hourglass on the later bosses worked wonders!) An absolute masterwork of precision platforming. Has more in common with NES/FC sidescrollers than it's 16-bit brethren, which is definitely a good thing. I have no reservations about proclaiming this one a Rondo-killer.

And certainly better than [...] Genpei Toumaden.

Give this one a second chance, trust me. I hated it at first, now it's one of my favorite platformers of all time. It's simply a matter of learning to play by its rules...

EmperorIng

« Reply #865 on: August 16, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »
I have the arcade version of Genpei Toumaden on the Namco Museum on PS1. I wish I knew what its sword fighting "rules" were... -_-

Spooky

« Reply #866 on: August 16, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
I have the arcade version of Genpei Toumaden on the Namco Museum on PS1.

I can't decide whether or not I like that one or the X68000 port the best. X68K has all those hidden levels that were dummied out of the arcade release... but the PS1 is in english, and has that hilarious glitch that lets you kill the biwa player. I'd say it's a toss-up.

Some helpful tips:

Continues are useless.

Milk the enemy generators for all they're worth. You'll need the Zeni to purchase sword power-ups and health restoratives.

Don't mash against the earlier bosses, you lose too much of your sword gauge that way. You can't afford to be careless with your sword strikes until later in the game.

Mash the jump button to get a slight boost at the peak of your jump (only applies to PS1? I forget)

Certain fights against Yoshitsune (laughing dagger-throwing guy) can be skipped. When he first appears, turn around and crouch down. If he performs a rolling slash, let him pass over you, stay facing him, hold the attack button, and proceed to moonwalk all the way to the torii.

If you have 80 Zeni, you can buy your way out of hell. Just hop into the pool of blood near the beginning of the stage. Sure beats trying your luck with the treasure chests at the end.  :mrgreen:

Did I mention continues are useless?

lukester

« Reply #867 on: August 16, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
I have the arcade version of Genpei Toumaden on the Namco Museum on PS1.

I can't decide whether or not I like that one or the X68000 port the best. X68K has all those hidden levels that were dummied out of the arcade release... but the PS1 is in english, and has that hilarious glitch that lets you kill the biwa player. I'd say it's a toss-up.

Some helpful tips:

Continues are useless.

Milk the enemy generators for all they're worth. You'll need the Zeni to purchase sword power-ups and health restoratives.

Don't mash against the earlier bosses, you lose too much of your sword gauge that way. You can't afford to be careless with your sword strikes until later in the game.

Mash the jump button to get a slight boost at the peak of your jump (only applies to PS1? I forget)

Certain fights against Yoshitsune (laughing dagger-throwing guy) can be skipped. When he first appears, turn around and crouch down. If he performs a rolling slash, let him pass over you, stay facing him, hold the attack button, and proceed to moonwalk all the way to the torii.

If you have 80 Zeni, you can buy your way out of hell. Just hop into the pool of blood near the beginning of the stage. Sure beats trying your luck with the treasure chests at the end.  :mrgreen:

Did I mention continues are useless?

What about those 3 things that you have to get? Are they easy to find?

I like Samurai Ghost a lot but I never cared much for Genpei Toumaden.

Spooky

« Reply #868 on: August 16, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »

The Sword is easy enough to find, it's guarded by the three-headed dragon near the end of the game. The other two are a bit trickier. Both of them can be found either in The Land Of Bad Puns, or alternatively, you can find the Mirror in the southeast corner of that one level with no torii (with the hidden exit between four graves), and... I recall the Magatama was in plain sight in a section with moving green platforms?

Most people do tend to prefer the sequel. It's more accessible, more linear, and much more forgiving than the original, so it's easy to see why. I'll admit that Samurai Ghost is one of the better PCE sidescrollers, but for me, I just find that it's missing too much of what made the first Genpei so special.

esteban

Race is on B1tches! - How many have you cleared?
« Reply #869 on: August 17, 2015, 01:17:04 AM »

The Sword is easy enough to find, it's guarded by the three-headed dragon near the end of the game. The other two are a bit trickier. Both of them can be found either in The Land Of Bad Puns, or alternatively, you can find the Mirror in the southeast corner of that one level with no torii (with the hidden exit between four graves), and... I recall the Magatama was in plain sight in a section with moving green platforms?

Most people do tend to prefer the sequel. It's more accessible, more linear, and much more forgiving than the original, so it's easy to see why. I'll admit that Samurai Ghost is one of the better PCE sidescrollers, but for me, I just find that it's missing too much of what made the first Genpei so special.

Ok, you have encouraged me to give the first Genpei yet  another chance.

:)

I tried playing the Famicom version (moreso than the PCE version) of Genpei 1...Boy, did I get stomped.
  |    |