Author Topic: Traitor Dungeon Explorer games on other systems ;-)  (Read 1763 times)

twor2005

Traitor Dungeon Explorer games on other systems ;-)
« on: June 08, 2005, 07:40:47 AM »
I was wondering about some of the other versions of Dungeon Explorer. Even though they are for other systems, this seems like a good place for collective DE knowledge  :o

So is Dungeon Explorer on the Sega CD the same as DE 2? Or is this a third game? Who did the conversion? Was it Working Designs?

Crystal Beans (SFC) seems to be an original game. Is there a translation patch for this one out there anywhere?

KingDrool

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 11:02:01 AM »
I never knew there was another Dungeon Explorer!  So it's out for Sega CD and Super Famicom?  WTF?
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

twor2005

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 11:59:09 AM »
Sure is. I'm trying to decide whether its worth getting a Sega CD just for this game. Probably won't any time soon but I'd like to keep my options open  8)

Edit: looks like I just did some Ebay seller a favor.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 12:11:54 PM »
Here's the (partial) scoop:

SegaCD is NOT the same as DE II (DUO).  SegaCDhas 5(?) different characters to choose from (perhaps an unlockable or two as well, but I don't remember). Supports 4 player co-op.   Completely upgraded graphics, though of course they suffer from Genny's limited color pallette.  Still, very nicely done.  Red Book soundtrack is *awesome*, but the HuCard / DUO soundtrack is still the best, IMO, regardless both deserve your love.  ASIDE: The details on this game are hazy, since I gave it away a long time ago (doh! why did I do that?).  I just bid on a copy on ebay, but the if the price goes much higher I'll have to wait for the next one that pops up.  

HuCard has 8 characters PLUS a few which are unlockable (a queen?, a robot? or is that DE II... my memory is hazy). 5 player co-op. One of the best HuCard soundtracks, ever.

Super Famicom -- I never played it, but it has like 8+ characters to choose from.  It is obvious from screenshots that the aesthetics and characters have been reworked... and this was intended as a sequel of sorts, so it shouldn't be merely a "remix" of the original game, IIRC.  ASIDE: Wolfgames had this sitting in stock for 1-2 years at $40... that was too expensive.  then when he started his clearance sale several months ago, some lucky bastard got it just before my request.  damn you! I am looking to buy this.

DUO DE II -- this is NOT available elsewhere. At its core, this is the HuCard engine and gameplay with Red Book Audio and cinema scenes slapped on.  Awesome, but the gameplay is identical to HuCard (it has new stages, of course). Supports 5-player co-op. while I love this game, this sequel should have been so much more.
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 01:04:06 PM »
The Sega CD version is completey different and as a bit of trivia, Westone (best developers nearly of all time, makers of the good Wonder boy games) had something to do with it.  It's a great game, but a lot more linear than the others so it's better as a multi player game.  It was about as short as the first game too, I think there's only like 6 dungeons in it, but it was great fun.

The SNES version is only 3 player if I remember correctly, for some reason.  It's a totally different game than the others and is actually pretty good, but I never finished it since it was all in Japanese and I got bored of trying to figure out where to go next (not hard, just time consuming).

twor2005

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:54:03 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
The Sega CD version is completey different and as a bit of trivia, Westone (best developers nearly of all time, makers of the good Wonder boy games) had something to do with it.  It's a great game, but a lot more linear than the others so it's better as a multi player game.  It was about as short as the first game too, I think there's only like 6 dungeons in it, but it was great fun.

The SNES version is only 3 player if I remember correctly, for some reason.  It's a totally different game than the others and is actually pretty good, but I never finished it since it was all in Japanese and I got bored of trying to figure out where to go next (not hard, just time consuming).

Wonder Boy in Monster World (AKA Dynastic Hero with a different lead character?) is one of my all time favorites for sure. I've got a patched version of the sequel I'm going to start playing soon. What else has Westone done? Are they still around?

lord_cack

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 07:02:50 PM »
I played the SFC version and didn't care for it. It had big, anime style characters. I like the gritty look and feel of the original and the brightened up colors on both SegaCD and SFC versions just through me. Plus neither version is as good as Dungeon Explorer II. Weather they upgraded it that much or not (though I felt it was little more playable than Dungeon Explorer I) that game is awesome  :D . Definitly a great moment for the Duo.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

lord_cack

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 07:19:10 PM »
here are afew screen grabs from Crystal Beans Dungeon Explorer for SFC...

This is the title screen:

The throne room:

The first city:

This is some weird screen where you go between dungeons...thats right, you don't walk to eacg dungeons....:

This is inside the first dugeon:

I don't know just don't like the look of it....I am a purist....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

esteban

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 08:26:43 PM »
word up! thanks for the screenshots. one dungeon really looks similar to the TG-16 games, but the rest of the super famicom screenshots reveal the distinct difference in aesthetics.

WESTONE: they friggin' ruled. they deserve credit for the whole wonderboy / / monsterworld / adventure island scene (it gets very confusing).  Hudson's adventure island series was a derivative (clone) of the first westone wonderboy game. But then Hudson also did the Bikkuriman series, which was a clone of the Monsterworld games.  I have yet to play the two final wonderboy games for the megadrive (wonderboy IV? & V?)...

I think wonderboy III: monster lair (any version, though of course I'm partial to the TG-CD version) is an absolutely great platformer-shooter hybrid.  It's the black sheep of the wonderboy series, but that's because it strayed far into shooter territory.  I wish there were more games like this. I'm still trying to one-credit this game and I love the frantic, forced-scrolling, 2-player co-op.  the levels were designed with 2 people   in mind, so that really makes things fun.
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 01:42:12 AM »
However, Westone is also responsible for that horrible Riot City/Riot Zone. Ugh! :evil: Of course, you can also blame SEGA for that one...

GUTS

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 01:04:58 PM »
Notviedt, are you sure?  I was 99% sure that Riot did that game, I don't remember seeing westone listed anywhere in the game's credits.

Steve- Dude Wonder Boy V and Monster world IV are incredible, easily the best 2 of the series.  I absolutely love Wonder Boy V, even more than Wonder Boy III, and III is top 10 favorite games of all time for me.  I played that game SO much on Master System that I found 99 of those rare stones, and it opened up all these secret doors all over the game to weird places.  I have NEVER found anybody else who knows what I'm talking about, it's crazy.  Wonder Boy V has the best snow level music I think I've ever heard, it's crazy awesome.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
Both Riot Zone & Riot City we're made by Westone, it's in the title screen.  Riot City, is the original arcade game, which also has Sega in the title credits, while Riot Zone is a weird remake of Riot City, with the levels & bosses all switched around, like for instance, the first level of Riot Zone, is actually something like the 3 part of the 2nd level of Riot City.  Also, the punk in Riot Zone was originally a black guy, don't know why they decided to change him, I doubt it was anything racial, but it's still wierd.   Oh yeah, Riot Zone has MUCH better music, but I don't think it's the same songs.

As for Crystal Beans, I have it, got it off of ebay for $5 :D  complete!  Anyways, it actually is a remake of DE 2.  But it's missing ALOT of levels, & bosses & levels are switched around, alot of the music is missing as well.  And you go from map to map to area's, not dungeon to dungeon.  It's kinda cool, just keep you're eyes peeled on ebay, put it in your searh feature & wait for it to pop up, that's what I did!  It's by no means anywhere near as good as the original DE 2, but, IMHO it's better then the Sega CD game, I just couldn't get into that one. :(

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 02:50:55 PM »
I love Westone and their Wonderboy series is one of the greatest video game series out there, especially Wonderboy III, Wonderboy V, and Monster World IV. What else have they done besides Wonderboy though? I know they did Bloodgear which also KICKS ASS.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 08:25:27 AM »
Yea,its true,Riot Zone is infact a sequal to Riot City.Riot City was a failed attempt to do a Final Fight clone on Segas System 16 arcade hardware.For all your complaints about Riot Zone,I find I like it alot actually.I like it alot more then the sequals to Final Fight,and the extremely crappy clones made by Jaleco on the Snes.Lets face it,a game like Final Fight would have required a tad more ram space then the Super-cd technoligy had,for animation and all,and really they did pretty well with what they had to work with on Riot Zone.The only other "GOOD" beat'em up is the remake of Double Dragon 2,which has smaller sprites and was a "upgrade" fo the arcade game,which infact felt more like Double Dragon 2 on the Nes then it felt like the arcade game.
I think if the arcade card had come into play,you would have seen better,perhaps even CPS1 quality beat'em ups like Final Fight,but alas it didnt happen,and life goes on.Lets face it though,the Snes Final Fight sucks too,its stripped down and raped of 2 player action and levels,and girl hooker chicks to beat up,and pretty much all the Final Fight clones on Snes had the old letterbox screen size to them like the 1 on 1 fighters did.
I think this is the only area the Genesis and Sega Cd had our favorite system over by the balls.The Sega Cd had a wonderful Final Fight port uncensored,and the Streets of Rage games are wonderful,as is the Punisher port for the Genesis.Oh yea and near arcade perfect ports of Double Dragon 1 and 2 for the Genesis and Mega Drive respectivly.
The only Snes beat'em up I will always love is Super Double Dragon.It had tons of moves,power up moves,weapons,trow moves and all.Its stages were all very cool.Its graphics and sound were top notch.Its a TRUE classic for a home system.

GUTS

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 09:18:32 AM »
That's crazy, I had no idea Westone did Riot Zone.  They also did a PSX game (can't remember the title) that was a fighting RPG, but it wasn't very good.  Blood Gear of course is the other AWESOME game they did, thanks to Keranu for reminding me of that one.