Author Topic: True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)  (Read 3155 times)

nodtveidt

True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 11:49:52 PM »
True suck never dies! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 12:06:31 AM »
I actually "used" to love Time Killers back in the day, I'm not totally sure why though, I used to have the Gen version which was pretty weak.

Liquid Snake

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 03:00:57 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
You know Altered Beast gets a lot of shit, but it did it's job back in the day.  I remember all my friends in grade school were totally blown away by how awesome and badass the game was and wanted Genesis systems for Christmas.  Hell I still think it's a cool game.

I always wished they would have made a sequel where you could actually go at your own pace and explore levels as a beast though, that would have ruled.  I'm half tempted to buy the new PS2 version even after hearing some so-so reviews of it, I just need to find an import copy cheap.

PS2 version isn't bad at all.
I love it
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

twor2005

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 03:20:07 AM »
Quote from: "zborgerd"
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Everyone's got their own opinions and their right to their opinions but I will stay steadfast to mine which says that AB is one of the grandfathers of suck. :D

Anyone ever play Time Killers? I'm just glad that one wasn't ported to the PCE (the Genesis got a port, which sucked even worse than the suck-ass arcade version). The grand poo-bah overlord godfather of suck: Time Killers. :D

HA.  Took me a minute to remember that game.  I had to look it up on Google.  I only played it once, but it was a total turd of a game.  :)  I had almost stripped it of my memory until you reminded me of the suckitude.

For some reason it seems like there was some talk of porting Time Killers to the Duo at some point.

ElSeven

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 10:56:03 AM »
maybe this is a stupid idea, maybe it's impossible, i dunno.

But from what it sounds like, the pce ver of Golden Axe sounds like it has a lot going for it, with a few minor setbacks.  Would there be anyway to hack the ISO and fix the problems, making this game as great as it should have been?

...just a thought.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

nodtveidt

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »
It's possible, but a more feasible idea would be to hack out all the good stuff (cinemas, music, etc) and replace the gameplay itself with an entirely new engine. I've never played the PCE port of Golden Axe so I don't know what kind of corrections would have to be made but perhaps it's something I'd be willing to look into in the future. :)

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 09:04:28 AM »
HEY!!!!! STOP KNOCKING ON TIME KILLERS!!!!
Time Killers had really good play mechanics,left arm,right arm,left leg,right leg attacks,plus both arm or both leg attacks,along with a head attack and taunt.A good amount of special moves,decaps and cutting off arms anytime in the fight.The game had more play depth then Mortal Kombat,and was made in the U.S. It was also one of the first arcade games to boast 32-bit sound,in stereo,when most games had sad stereo sound,or worse,were in mono.
I love Time Killers,Bloodstorm,and the arcade version of Street Fighter the movie game.Strata knew how to make a good fighter,and you can either like theirs or hate them.I think it depends on the person.If you only like SNK/Capcom fighters,then yea,I could see how Stratas games could turn you away.Blood,gore,vibrant colors,32-bit audio,large sprites,lots of special moves.......yea,who wanted all that back in 92-95....

lord_cack

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 09:28:54 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
.If you only like SNK/Capcom fighters,then yea,I could see how Stratas games could turn you away.Blood,gore,vibrant colors,32-bit audio,large sprites,lots of special moves.......yea,who wanted all that back in 92-95....

Oh all that is fine and good, except that the horrible controls made the all those moves null and if it doesn't control well then the rest is just icing on a stale cake....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »
UGH you mentioned two of the worst fighting games of all time: Time Killers AND Street Fighter: The Movie. UGH! :lol: Never played Bloodstorm though so I can only go by the other reviewers I read that say the game sucked even more ass than Time Killers... :lol:

Time Killers had some of the worst animation I've ever SEEN. Games from 10 years prior had smoother animation than that game. :(

But uhh...I guess you seem to like technical highpoints rather than a game that's actually fun to play and doesn't look like something that crawled out of a monkey's ass...well, to each their own. :D :lol:

Mortal Kombat was also made in the US. :P

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 02:11:20 PM »
Actually Street Fighter: The Movie wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first played it for Saturn because all the hardcore fighting game fans I talked to said it sucked. It plays very similar to Street Fighter II games (though not quite as accurate and well, but close enough) but just has really dorky real life graphics like in Mortal Kombat.

<ehem, cough>KoF'98 is the best fighting game ever made!</ehem, cough>
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 04:12:53 PM »
Street Fighter the movie game for Saturn and Playstation was different then the arcade game.The arcade game was infact way different.The home game was by Capcom.It played like Super SF 2 Turbo.
The arcade game played like SF meets Killer Instinct meets Time Killers.It had tons of secrets,like a trick where on the Vega cage stage you could do a button combination and crowd members would blow up.You could do wonderful combos,and air juggles.I used to be able to do a 20 hit combo with Vega on the game.The game was very dark image wise,with really cool backgrounds,and the blood was plenty.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 04:14:22 PM »
Play it on Mame.Mame runs it.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 04:32:50 PM »
Mame runs all the Strata games for that matter.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »
I never had a single problem pulling off any move in Time Killers.Nor Sf The Movie arcade game.Nor Blood Storm for that matter.And none of my friends complained either.I was best with Rancid or Mantaz in Time Killers.In SF the Movie,the arcade version,which I will say again is very different then the home version,I was wonderful with Vega and Akuma and Blade.
All the people who complain about Time Killers or Blood Strom I think are  like the same kids whose ass I  kicked at the arcade on those games.They bitched to no end.I would usually finish someone off by the 10 sec of the round doing a dizzy combo and decap,or total slice dice kill"that means both arms and head came off".And you know what,they came back for more anyway,why?Because those game were FUN.The player didnt have to be a SF wiz to play them,they for the most part could jump on and just play.This applied to MK as well.Where I lived more people played the Time Killers cab then the MK one though.Nobody played the SF 2 Champ cab at that point in time.
I bet you Time Killers haters hated Way of the Warrior also....
Game Fan was the only mag that loved Way of the warrior,Blood storm,and the arcade SF the Movie.And you know what?Game Fan was the only mag back then that wasnt in a companies pocket,it was the best mag,and it didnt spread lies,create  rumors,and have crappy blured screen pics.
Go figure.I bet you Time Killer/Blood Storm haters love EGM and GAME Pro too huh????

nodtveidt

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2005, 02:00:35 AM »
Wow, that was the most one-sided, horribly jaded post I've ever seen you write. :D How do you know Game Fan wasn't paid a large sum of money by Strata to totally kiss their ass and write up such shockingly great reviews when everyone else insisted that these games sucked donkey eggs?

I hated all the magazines anyways and still do.

Makes me wonder what kind of deranged people live in your town... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: