Author Topic: True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)  (Read 3156 times)

xolik

True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:32:32 AM »
Let me first start off by stating that I really liked "Golden Axe" when it first came out. The genesis version was pretty rocking and I have many fond memories playing it over and over again with each character.

So when I saw Golden Axe up on Ebay for the PC-Engine, naturally I was interested. "One of my favoirte games on my favorite system? And it's even on CD! This MUST be good!" So I hit the 'Buy it now' button and shelled out about $30 for it without giving the price a second thought. I mean, I was going to get GA on my TG-16! What's there NOT to be excited about!

A week later it arrived. I eagerly rushed upstairs and popped the disc into my beloved Turbo and fired it up. WOW! Nice cinemas! They show how Death Adder was born and everything! The character select screen looked promising as well. (Although I don't remember Ax Battler being quite so anime looking, but hey, it's Japanese.) Then I was treated to another nice introductory cinema. So far, so good!

Right about this point in game development, the programmers must have decided to quit. Either that, or they are the most sadistic SOBs that ever walked the face of the earth. The game is practically unplayable. The controls are horrible, the character animation is looks like it was done using two frames only and there is massive slow down whenever more than three things are on the screen at once. And forget about getting past the first level as the bosses are insanely difficult.

I'd challenge anybody to to try to beat this game, but I wouldn't want to wish this sort of steaming pantload upon anybody. I suppose the CD music was nice, but nice music and pretty cinemas do not make up rest of this failed abortion of an acrade port. Save your money, boys and girls, it's just not worth it. If anything, I learned a valuable lesson in researching a game prior to purchase.

I'd rate 3\10. It got two extra points for nice cinemas and good music.
Not all who launder are washed.

esteban

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 09:03:39 AM »
yes, this is a sad game. I might take you up on your challenge to beat the first boss! i've listened to the red book tracks and there are a LOT of cinema scenes!  What a goddam shame.

Speaking of bad games, I have Altered Beast on CD... unfortunately, there is hardly any red book audio!  I can't remember if I ever played the CD version of AB, but I have played the HuCard version via ME -- not too  good.  And that's taking into account that AB was a flawed game to begin with.
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »
Altered Beast was a crappy game even in its "prime". I have no idea why it spawned so many ports. :shock:

xolik

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:54:56 AM »
AB definately qualifies as a 'total failure' as well. I've got the HuCard version and I find that is almost as unplayable as GA is. But at least I made it to the second level on AB.  :lol:
Not all who launder are washed.

zborgerd

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 11:06:28 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Altered Beast was a crappy game even in its "prime". I have no idea why it spawned so many ports. :shock:

"WISE FWOM YOU GWAVE!!!!!!"
http://www.tiger-marmalade.com/~marc/images/writing/rise_from_your_grave.wav

twor2005

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 11:40:03 AM »
I know how bad this is supposed to be, but I can't help wanting it. Wow a "hardtype" version of Golden Axe with cutscenes!  :D

KingDrool

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 11:49:36 AM »
I loved Golden Axe in the arcade.  A friend of mine sat one afternoon and beat the whole thing.  It's a shame the PCE version sucks so badly.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Black Tiger

Re: True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 01:54:57 PM »
Golden Axe was one of my very first CD games. After getting ripped for $500 from a store adverting in EGM, I was still dying to get a Turbo CD.

The local electronics store in my home town had a Turbo CD and Fighting Street and Monster Lair.

But after a visit to japan, they brought back Golden Axe, Side Arms Special and Super Darius.

Once I managed to order another Turbo CD from Radio Shack, I Golden Axe and Super Darius(2 or 3 months before the actual Turbo CD arrived) and later Side Arms Special.

I used to look through the manuals everyday imagining what the games would be like and wondering why we couldn't get nice color art filled manuals over here.

Before this, Golden Axe was the one game that the store had opened to demo the system.

Everyone was blown away by the overall pesentation(menus and such), especially the CD voice(more so than the cinemas). And even the Genesis lovers(during the console wars) wouldn't knock the in-game content too much since even they understood how limited the original Golden Axe is gameplay-wise anyways.

Like all Turbo games I owned, I played the game to death. After mastering it, I would play through and finish it again and again.

The gameplay is pretty much intact, but some of the enemies are too cheap and Death Adder in particular is just ridiculous.

Its easiest with Tyris, not too bad with Axe Battler but near impossible with Gilius Thunderhead.

The ending cinemas are satisfying but not too long and are similar. But at least each character does get their own ending.

I don't know if the developers had access to the original content that went into the arcade original or anything, but it is unfortunate that the didn't take advantage of the PC Engine's abilities to produce what should've been the definitive version of the game.

I still love it, flaws and all. But knowing the games as well as I do, I realize that the aesthetics aren't THAT far off, the gameplay is more or less intact except for the excess cheap spots. I've always found the biggst short-coming to be the sound effects.

I'm just glad that I was able to experience it as I did back in the day so I can appreciate itto this day. Otherwise I wouldn't give it a chance either.

However, the game is worth it for the soundtrack alone if you're a 'classic' arcade fan.

Quote from: "xolik"
Let me first start off by stating that I really liked "Golden Axe" when it first came out. The genesis version was pretty rocking and I have many fond memories playing it over and over again with each character.

So when I saw Golden Axe up on Ebay for the PC-Engine, naturally I was interested. "One of my favoirte games on my favorite system? And it's even on CD! This MUST be good!" So I hit the 'Buy it now' button and shelled out about $30 for it without giving the price a second thought. I mean, I was going to get GA on my TG-16! What's there NOT to be excited about!

A week later it arrived. I eagerly rushed upstairs and popped the disc into my beloved Turbo and fired it up. WOW! Nice cinemas! They show how Death Adder was born and everything! The character select screen looked promising as well. (Although I don't remember Ax Battler being quite so anime looking, but hey, it's Japanese.) Then I was treated to another nice introductory cinema. So far, so good!

Right about this point in game development, the programmers must have decided to quit. Either that, or they are the most sadistic SOBs that ever walked the face of the earth. The game is practically unplayable. The controls are horrible, the character animation is looks like it was done using two frames only and there is massive slow down whenever more than three things are on the screen at once. And forget about getting past the first level as the bosses are insanely difficult.

I'd challenge anybody to to try to beat this game, but I wouldn't want to wish this sort of steaming pantload upon anybody. I suppose the CD music was nice, but nice music and pretty cinemas do not make up rest of this failed abortion of an acrade port. Save your money, boys and girls, it's just not worth it. If anything, I learned a valuable lesson in researching a game prior to purchase.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:10:06 PM »
So when I saw Golden Axe up on Ebay for the PC-Engine, naturally I was interested. "One of my favoirte games on my favorite system? And it's even on CD! This MUST be good!" So I hit the 'Buy it now' button and shelled out about $30 for it without giving the price a second thought. I mean, I was going to get GA on my TG-16! What's there NOT to be excited about

yep, i did the exact same thing a few years ago.
i would go so far as to compare the PC engine Golden Axe with the Master System version in the gameplay department.  choppy as hell and a pain in th ass to play.  when i got my SMS in 92 with Golden Axe i did have some fun playing it once i got the controls down and beat it a few times.
if you take away the cinema scenes and narrow the character selection down to just Ax Battle they're pretty much the same game, even the graphics.

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 09:55:07 PM »
I still haven't played Golden Axe for PCE CD yet, but I'd love to try it.

I've only played the PCE version of Altered Beast on ME and I can honestly say it's not as bad as you guys put it to be. To me at least, the graphics look better than the Genesis version and I can't remember if the sound was better, but I'd probably say so since I love the PCE PSG. There were two things that sucked about the PCE version though and that was the controls and the fact that it didn't have the cheesy voices (at least I don't remember it having them)! The sucky thing ab00t the controls is that you have to press UP to jump and that's quite annoying compaired to the Genesis version. It's not terrible though once you get used to it. Also can't you use a 3 or 6 button pad for the PCE version of Altered Beast?

And to people who have played both the PCE and PCE CD versions of Altered Beast, is the CD version better in any ways or is it the exact same as the HuCard?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »
You know Altered Beast gets a lot of shit, but it did it's job back in the day.  I remember all my friends in grade school were totally blown away by how awesome and badass the game was and wanted Genesis systems for Christmas.  Hell I still think it's a cool game.

I always wished they would have made a sequel where you could actually go at your own pace and explore levels as a beast though, that would have ruled.  I'm half tempted to buy the new PS2 version even after hearing some so-so reviews of it, I just need to find an import copy cheap.

zborgerd

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 12:05:04 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
You know Altered Beast gets a lot of shit, but it did it's job back in the day.  I remember all my friends in grade school were totally blown away by how awesome and badass the game was and wanted Genesis systems for Christmas.  Hell I still think it's a cool game.

I always wished they would have made a sequel where you could actually go at your own pace and explore levels as a beast though, that would have ruled.  I'm half tempted to buy the new PS2 version even after hearing some so-so reviews of it, I just need to find an import copy cheap.

I always thought it had terrible gameplay.  The graphics and monsters were cool though.  It was a decent game, but nothing I got excited about.

"WISE FWOM YOU GWAVE!!!!"

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 12:14:45 PM »
I still think Altered Beast is a badass game up to today. It was really sweet when I was a kid and seeing the buff dudes take steroids and turn into monsters. That was ab00t the coolest thing a kid could ever see.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 04:19:13 PM »
Everyone's got their own opinions and their right to their opinions but I will stay steadfast to mine which says that AB is one of the grandfathers of suck. :D

Anyone ever play Time Killers? I'm just glad that one wasn't ported to the PCE (the Genesis got a port, which sucked even worse than the suck-ass arcade version). The grand poo-bah overlord godfather of suck: Time Killers. :D

zborgerd

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 04:35:51 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Everyone's got their own opinions and their right to their opinions but I will stay steadfast to mine which says that AB is one of the grandfathers of suck. :D

Anyone ever play Time Killers? I'm just glad that one wasn't ported to the PCE (the Genesis got a port, which sucked even worse than the suck-ass arcade version). The grand poo-bah overlord godfather of suck: Time Killers. :D

HA.  Took me a minute to remember that game.  I had to look it up on Google.  I only played it once, but it was a total turd of a game.  :)  I had almost stripped it of my memory until you reminded me of the suckitude.