Author Topic: True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)  (Read 3158 times)

lord_cack

True stories of utter failure: Golden Axe (PC-Engine CD)
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2005, 06:00:01 AM »
This conversation has decomposed into a steaming pile. The games were not good, by most peoples accounting of quality.

Fine you liked a horribly junky game. You feel the game magazine industry had set out a vendeta (paid for by Capcom of course) against said terrible game. Thats fine and dandy. You liked the game. Fine. I thought it should have its own landfill next to E.T.'s landfill. Big deal.

I mean everyone has there gaming skeletons in there proverbial closets. I mean by the average gamers accounting of quality we ALL as Turbo fans play games that suck.....
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

GUTS

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2005, 07:44:04 AM »
The stupidest part about Time Killers (other than the HORRIBLE character design) was that you could kill your opponent one round, then they're back alive for the next.  Mortal Kombat at least made sense, you could only kill your opponent after the fight was over.  I remember even when I was a kid I thought that was f'n stupid.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2005, 04:59:37 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Wow, that was the most one-sided, horribly jaded post I've ever seen you write. :D How do you know Game Fan wasn't paid a large sum of money by Strata to totally kiss their ass and write up such shockingly great reviews when everyone else insisted that these games sucked donkey eggs?

I hated all the magazines anyways and still do.

Makes me wonder what kind of deranged people live in your town... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Did you ever read any DIE HARD GameFan mags?They were about the only mag people left who covered import stuff heavy,as well as NeoGeo full reviews,Pc-Engine,PC-FX.Your insane to knock that mag!!!!
They were the only mag to review Strider Arcade Card version,as well as the SNK ports,with a full review,tons of nice res pics and what not.It was the only mag to even get respect from Next Generation,which never knocked any other mags itself,but would openly admit that the guys at Gamefan were great.And you know what,GameFan is gone due to money problems,why???Because they were not on the take.They had a great review crew,each showing their own opinions on games,if they game really did suck,they ripped it a new one in full detail,telling of all the weak points they felt it had,with 2 pages chock full of pics,and they actually cared about game makers like Treasure and Wolf Team.Do you even remember EGM covering the Turbo/Pc-Engine after the US death?Same for GamePro??? No I didnt think so.Am I really that old that only guys like me remember things like this?Jesus Im only 28.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2005, 05:15:48 PM »
Quote from: "lord_cack"
This conversation has decomposed into a steaming pile. The games were not good, by most peoples accounting of quality.

Fine you liked a horribly junky game. You feel the game magazine industry had set out a vendeta (paid for by Capcom of course) against said terrible game. Thats fine and dandy. You liked the game. Fine. I thought it should have its own landfill next to E.T.'s landfill. Big deal.

I mean everyone has there gaming skeletons in there proverbial closets. I mean by the average gamers accounting of quality we ALL as Turbo fans play games that suck.....

Funny you say this,capcom in the US failed to sue Data East over Fighters History and how it played,and you should know that if they had won the court case,they would have went after SNK next,as alot of ex-Capcom employees had defected to SNK,most of them infact worked on Samurai Showdown,as they were openly accusing SNK,Konami"because of the Turtles fighting games using half quarter motions to toss projectiles",Data East and whoever else.
And I never said Capcom went after Strata,they infact liked them alot,and wanted the Strata group to do the SF The Movie Arcade game,gave them full rights to do what they wanted with the arcade version and what not,and make the game how they saw fit.You know this wasnt normal at all for Capcom,as SF was their cashcow,and they could have done the game themselves.For the record again,I did not say that Capcom paid anyone to give Time Killers or Blood Storm a bad review,but I DID say that the only mags who gave the games BAD reviews were the terribly sold out Shushi X crew and the Frog Boys at Lame Pro.
The same guys who dumped on all the systems we love to play,who gave up on them before we did,and who didnt even bother to cover any wonderful imports that were still being released.Maybe it was because they had to devote 5 pages to  covering crap games like Johnny Bazookatone on PSX all the time,who knows,you tell me?Need anothe rexample,Ninja Masters on Neogeo,EGM gave it terrible reviews,knocking the animation,audio,gameplay,and everything else.If you have a NeoGeo,MVS at least,Im sure you have ran across a cart of it at one time or another,and know way better.The game was wonderful.Now its one of the hardest AES carts to get.GO FIGURE!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2005, 05:48:37 PM »
Incase you decided to look up info about it,here is the court info youd need:
Capcom U.S.A., Inc. v. Data East Corp., 1994 WL 1751482 (N.D. Cal. 1994)
That will get you what you need to know about the case.

GUTS

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2005, 05:49:42 PM »
Michael, just out of curiousity why do you not put a space after commas and periods?  It makes your posts really hard to read.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2005, 05:53:46 PM »
With a 9 year old boy,7 year old girl,and 1 year old boy running about,remembering to do these things tend to slip my mind.

lord_cack

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2005, 09:18:38 PM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
Quote from: "lord_cack"

Funny you say this,capcom in the US failed to sue Data East over Fighters History and how it played,and you should know that if they had won the court case,they would have went after SNK next,as alot of ex-Capcom employees had defected to SNK,most of them infact worked on Samurai Showdown,as they were openly accusing SNK,Konami"because of the Turtles fighting games using half quarter motions to toss projectiles",Data East and whoever else.
And I never said Capcom went after Strata,they infact liked them alot,and wanted the Strata group to do the SF The Movie Arcade game,gave them full rights to do what they wanted with the arcade version and what not,and make the game how they saw fit.You know this wasnt normal at all for Capcom,as SF was their cashcow,and they could have done the game themselves.For the record again,I did not say that Capcom paid anyone to give Time Killers or Blood Storm a bad review,but I DID say that the only mags who gave the games BAD reviews were the terribly sold out Shushi X crew and the Frog Boys at Lame Pro.
The same guys who dumped on all the systems we love to play,who gave up on them before we did,and who didnt even bother to cover any wonderful imports that were still being released.Maybe it was because they had to devote 5 pages to  covering crap games like Johnny Bazookatone on PSX all the time,who knows,you tell me?Need anothe rexample,Ninja Masters on Neogeo,EGM gave it terrible reviews,knocking the animation,audio,gameplay,and everything else.If you have a NeoGeo,MVS at least,Im sure you have ran across a cart of it at one time or another,and know way better.The game was wonderful.Now its one of the hardest AES carts to get.GO FIGURE!

I really don't see where this conversation fits into the overall conversation of crappy lame games.

The point is, everyone likes what they like, but if your gonna like crap then your gonna get crap for it.

And on that note, I would like to change the direction of this topic....

"WHAT IS THE WORST GAME YOU LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD THINKS IS CRAP?" (so now we can toss crap on everyone and not have to have people feeling left out :shock: )

Mine, would be...well I only enjoy games that game reviewers think are great :shock: ....(note....that WAS sarcasm :lol: )

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2005, 09:45:34 PM »
Im starting to wonder if you enjoy games at all.
But hey either way,Ill entertain this one.
These are not my favorites,but none the less I like them very much.
Death Duel.
Pit Fighter.
Space Gun.
Narc.
Sam and Max hit the road.
Metal and Lace 1 and 2.
Party Breakers.
Robocop.
Bad Dudes.
Silphead for the PC.
Way of the Warrior.
Crash and Burn.
Ultra Vortek.
Defender 2000.
Tempest 2000.
Shatterhand.
The Guardian Legend.
Golvelious.
Starblade.
Galaxy Fight.
Hellfire.
Air Busters.
Shock Troopers 2nd squad.
Magic Swords.
Evil Zone.
Riot Zone.
Blazing Tornado.
Beachhead.
T2 for the Nes.
Road Avenger.
Time Gal.
Stral.
Blue Lightning.
Ninja Gaiden arcade game.
Rastan 1 and 2 arcade.
I have noticed that alot of people didnt like any of these games at all.

lord_cack

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2005, 11:57:45 PM »

Narc.
Robocop.
Bad Dudes.
Tempest 2000.
Shatterhand.
The Guardian Legend.
Air Busters.
Magic Swords.
Rastan 1

You named a few games that were really good, I don't know why anyone wouldn't like these games. Well, a couple are pretty much rip offs of other games but still good?

Pit Fighter.
Way of the Warrior.

A couple of them just aren't...in fact, Pit Fighter.....that one is crap...real crap... :lol:

lord_cack

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2005, 12:01:21 AM »

I like games a lot actually. But, I am very, very picky....I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't.

nodtveidt

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2005, 03:32:52 AM »
I remember Shatterhand...one of the very few NES games I really tried to conquer but never did. And I wasn't knocking the mag that you sound like you sleep with at night as if it's your little binky, I'm explaining to you that you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes so to arbitrarily say that they weren't sucking off a load from a different company doesn't mean they actually weren't. And like I said...I hated all game magazines because every one of them were nothing more than full-colour spinjobs, catering to whatever genre or console they liked best...INCLUDING Gamefan. I'll be the first to say that EGM was among the worst for this kind of favouritism (they knocked a lot of Neo Geo games left and right) but they all sucked when it all comes down to it. And I'm 30, btw. :P

EDIT: Oh ya...Tempest 2000 was awesome. :D

RCduck7

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2005, 10:34:07 AM »

EDIT: Oh ya...Tempest 2000 was awesome. :D

I have recently bought and played this game for the first time and it kept me almost in some kind hypnotic trance.  :D

And i didn't use drugs.

Great game!
don't be human... be peacefull

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2005, 11:19:20 AM »
Pit Fighter.
Narc.
Robocop.
Bad Dudes.
Way of the Warrior.
Crash and Burn.
Defender 2000.
Tempest 2000.
Golvelious.
Starblade.
Galaxy Fight.
Hellfire.
Aero Blasters.
Magic Swords.
Evil Zone.
Riot Zone.
Blazing Tornado.
Stral.
Blue Lightning.
Rastan 1 I have noticed that alot of people didnt like any of these games at all.

These are all great games, well, Pit Fighter isn't great, but for me, it don't stink.  I can't comment for some of the games I took off the list since I didn't play them.

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2005, 11:41:59 AM »
Everyone's got their own opinions and their right to their opinions but I will stay steadfast to mine which says that AB is one of the grandfathers of suck. :D

Anyone ever play Time Killers? I'm just glad that one wasn't ported to the PCE (the Genesis got a port, which sucked even worse than the suck-ass arcade version). The grand poo-bah overlord godfather of suck: Time Killers. :D

See, now a game like Time Killers puts it all in perspective.

At least a super-simple basic game like Altered Beast is playable, the aesthetics cool enough for the time and makes sense as a coin-up.

Truly bad games have little or no redeeming qualities.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum