Author Topic: Ys IV Dubbing Project: Take 2  (Read 2294 times)

shonenx

Re: Ys IV Dubbing Project: Take 2
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »
Im so down to help in any way possible in this project i dont have audio proggie skills but can figure things out with time lemme know how i can help even with voice acting or donations.
Your Already Dead !!!

Bonknuts

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
Very cool that this project hasn't died. Would it not be the first of its kind for a translation, or has the PSX scene already beat it to the punch for dubbing?

I guess it's not really necessary now, but there's been talk of setting up the TG16 to output CC (Closed Captioning) since it can output pixels on those particular scanlines. Even if doable, I can see it being fairly complex to setup on top of an existing game graphic engine.

Anyway, great to see this project still kicking :)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
Since its been a year since we've heard anything, I'm pretty sure the project isn't still kicking.

I find myself in a frustrating situation. I've got enough experience with audio stuff to handle this kind of thing easily, as well as quality mics, software, friends and acquaintances who are LARPing cosplaying dorks who will want to act, etc. but I don't have the Japanese skills needed, nor would I want to be involved in making the scripts, or making a usable game out of the recordings.

Rather than having all sorts of people managing their own situations in a dozen locations across the word, it would be much easier to have one person come up with a recording script that is properly timed and matched to the original files, and then just record all the shit in the same place on the same day to keep things from getting scattered and stupid. This way the audio would be properly normalized, organized, and ready to go for whoever builds the ISO back together. If I know what to record, and exactly which clip to match the timing to, I can get that stuff done. I would also need the OST.

So...yeah, I can work with something like that.

The Sorry I Have to Be a Dick Disclaimer: I'm giving fair warning to anyone else involved, I'm willing to spend time on this, but not waste time on it. I have no interesting in being involved with a failure, so before anyone fires up this seemingly doomed project and wants my services, please have your shit together, really together, before you contact me.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
Very cool that this project hasn't died. Would it not be the first of its kind for a translation, or has the PSX scene already beat it to the punch for dubbing?

I guess it's not really necessary now, but there's been talk of setting up the TG16 to output CC (Closed Captioning) since it can output pixels on those particular scanlines. Even if doable, I can see it being fairly complex to setup on top of an existing game graphic engine.

Anyway, great to see this project still kicking :)

IIRC, the closed captioning/subtitling thing can't be done for Ys 4, as there was too much memory being used during cinemas for there to be enough for the subtitles, but don't quote me on that!  I do recall there being a possibility of subtitles in Cosmic Fantasy 1(I believe by making it a SCD), & the regular cd version of Tengai Makyou 2, but it's been awhile since I've hear anything about either of these projects.

Bonknuts

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
Since its been a year since we've heard anything, I'm pretty sure the project isn't still kicking.

I find myself in a frustrating situation. I've got enough experience with audio stuff to handle this kind of thing easily, as well as quality mics, software, friends and acquaintances who are LARPing cosplaying dorks who will want to act, etc. but I don't have the Japanese skills needed, nor would I want to be involved in making the scripts, or making a usable game out of the recordings.

Rather than having all sorts of people managing their own situations in a dozen locations across the word, it would be much easier to have one person come up with a recording script that is properly timed and matched to the original files, and then just record all the shit in the same place on the same day to keep things from getting scattered and stupid. This way the audio would be properly normalized, organized, and ready to go for whoever builds the ISO back together. If I know what to record, and exactly which clip to match the timing to, I can get that stuff done. I would also need the OST.

The Sorry I Have to Be a Dick Disclaimer: I'm giving fair warning to anyone else involved, I'm willing to spend time on this, but not waste time on it. I have no interesting in being involved with a failure, so before anyone fires up this seemingly doomed project and wants my services, please have your shit together, really together, before you contact me.

Oh, I misread the date  :oops: I don't blame you for being leery about handling this sort of project. But if pride and recognition were ever a motivator, this would be the incredible feat to pull off for that. The first of its kind for a game translation (of that era) that I know of. A first for the TG16 CD if nothing else.

IIRC, the closed captioning/subtitling thing can't be done for Ys 4, as there was too much memory being used during cinemas for there to be enough for the subtitles, but don't quote me on that!  I do recall there being a possibility of subtitles in Cosmic Fantasy 1(I believe by making it a SCD), & the regular cd version of Tengai Makyou 2, but it's been awhile since I've hear anything about either of these projects.

No doubt that it would be pretty complex. But CC isn't the same thing as rewriting a games cell map. You would need like 8 scanlines to show a single line of 8x8 font text. CC is a hardware thing decoded by your TV and only requires 1 scanline data in the upper part of the display and can show multiple lines of text. In theory it's possible, but I guess theory doesn't mean anything until someone shows a working example of CC on the TG16.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:42:47 PM by Bonknuts »

termis

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
ANY dub project that's actually completed would be awesome.  As prices for pressing CDs go down, imagine a real, 100% translated, dubbed game on a real CD -- that'd be kick-ass.  I'd imagine there'd be no problems of gathering enough people to pay for a single batch of pressed CDs for a game like Ys IV.

esteban

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 12:43:15 AM »
ANY dub project that's actually completed would be awesome.  As prices for pressing CDs go down, imagine a real, 100% translated, dubbed game on a real CD -- that'd be kick-ass.  I'd imagine there'd be no problems of gathering enough people to pay for a single batch of pressed CDs for a game like Ys IV.

I know some folks frown on fan subs, but I agree that they can be a lot of fun if their heart is in the right place.

Ys IV: I'll provide Yuko's voice.
  |    | 

Arjak

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 06:01:06 AM »

Yes, the attempt spoken of in this thread crashed and burned. Still, I am not going to allow this project to strike out! I spoke to Nightwolve a while back on the subject of getting this project finally finished, and he said he would try to send me everything I would need sometime in the near future. If and when I get the necessary materials, I would gladly accept any help you could offer, SignOfZeta.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

NightWolve

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
OK Arjak, I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccck...... ;)

*waves to whoever*

This is a quicki visit as I'm on a public computer. Basically, I finally released what I'm calling the "Ys IV Dub Kit" which will allow anyone to complete this project! This is what you were waiting for, Arjak! Check the links for details:

http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=395
http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?p=15868#15868

A thread on MagicEngine turned up that motivated me to take a few hours to package together a kit (basically prepared batch files, Shadoff's ADPCM tools, English samples along with some tips/info), to let whoever wants to finish the project do so. It's all yours (whoever wants it, that is), completely out of my hands now.

Bernie

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
Sup Nightwolve!  Good to see ya.  Hopefully this project will be seen to the end.  :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
Hi, N.W.!  Thanks for putting the tools out there; I hope someone picks 'em up and finally runs with this sucker!  I'll gladly help whoever grabs the reins in any way I can, which means 'very little' considering my narrow (slightly retarded) skillset.  :D
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

NightWolve

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »
Hey, sup guys, nice to cya! Well, I know Arjak was waiting on this, so we'll see if he can figure it out. It lets you work with all audio clips in WAVE format, so a) if you got the mic, b) the voice actor/actress, c) the audio recording software, d) the will to see it all through completion, that's all that's needed (with a few minor details, of course, but yeah, good enough)! You guys are welcome to play with it - it's good for messing around even if it doesn't ever amount to anything serious.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
Wow, the time for this couldn’t have been better. :D
I’m most interested in the txt file that has the ADPCM rooted out by the scene they go by. The tools to extract and insert the ADPCM have been out for awhile on your website, it’s sort of buried there but there none the less, I’ve been using it for about 2 years now.

As some of you my know I’ve been wanting to get a YsIV fan dub on the road for a while now!
Recently I’ve been trying to get in contact with Justus Johnson to try and get all the complete tracks that he has so I can pick up where he left off (I know he at least has a complete set for Dogi).

The guy has literally dropped off the face of the earth and I can’t find a way to contact him for the life of me. If anyone here  knows how to contact him please tell me.
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

NightWolve

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
He had a completed one for Dogi?? I don't think so... Everything he gave me was incomplete (couple of files here and there), oh and yes, he mentioned a hard drive disaster and losing stuff... I'm pretty sure I remember that, so yeah, you gotta start from scratch... It's too bad Karna not being finished with the actress he found. She was pretty good as you can tell if you play with the sample clips I included. The ONLY thing I will keep from Justus is the opening cinema WAVE for Darm's speech. That's the only time Darm is brought up (I believe) and the dub is very good.

Here they go for anyone that missed them:

http://www.ysutopia.net/downloads/ys4/ys4_darm_e.avi
http://www.ysutopia.net/downloads/ys4/KarnaAVI.rar
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:56:20 AM by NightWolve »

Bernie

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »
Man, it would be awesome to play this again with the new speech.  :)