Author Topic: Subtle Difference with VC Rondo of Blood  (Read 2641 times)

offsidewing

Subtle Difference with VC Rondo of Blood
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »
Ok, I just downloaded Rondo of Blood from the Wii Virtual Console.  A quick download and 250 blocks of memory later, I was playing it.  Now, the only version I've played is the PCE version.  I immediately noticed the difference in the German Narrators voice in the beginning scene (I also speak auf Deutsch).  Is that maybe from another version of the game or new for das Wii?  haha, FLIEGE MAUS!

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Subtle Difference with VC Rondo of Blood
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »
That is from the PSP version, I really don't know why they replaced it, but, nothing else!?  IIRC, I think I heard that the original track wasn't the best example of German, so that might be one reason why they replaced it in the PSP version, but, I thought this was supposed to be unadulterated from the original version.  I'd love the option to have the game atleast with english subtitles.

Dark Fact

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:41 PM »
So the original German was disposed of and replaced with the PSP German? :-s

What about the in-game text? Is it still in Japanese or is it now translated?

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

TheClash603

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:10:13 PM »
So the original German was disposed of and replaced with the PSP German? :-s

Reverse video game holocaust?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »
So far, it seems like everything else was left alone.

Dark Fact

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
I'm guessing they re-did the German because Konami or Nintendo was afraid that the broken German would've been too offensive for natural German people.  It's not like in Japan where nobody cares just as long as it is a foreign tongue and sounds cool. :-k

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

theoakwoody

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:45:08 AM »
I'm really enjoying playing through this game again as I have my TG16 packed up at my parents house.  What's funny is that I'm breezing through some of the later bosses but struggling with the frickin' werewolf.  I guess I just have to shake off the rust and get right back into it.  I haven't noticed any glitches or slowdown in the emulation so so far so good.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:30:32 AM »
What's also cool, is that the last time I checked, this game is #5 on the popular downloads for the VC!  It was #8 before that, looks like this game is making a dent in the VC for the Turbo!

esteban

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
What's also cool, is that the last time I checked, this game is #5 on the popular downloads for the VC!  It was #8 before that, looks like this game is making a dent in the VC for the Turbo!

Forgive my ignorance, but where can I view the Popular Downloads chart? I'm curious...

|    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
On the Wii, when you go into the VC game menu, you have an option to check out the titles by system, new releases, or popular downloads(might be a couple other options).

esteban

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 04:14:52 AM »
On the Wii, when you go into the VC game menu, you have an option to check out the titles by system, new releases, or popular downloads(might be a couple other options).

Thanks! You can tell how often I use VC :)
  |    | 

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »

Thanks! You can tell how often I use VC :)

Don't worry, you're not missing much.  The Wii Virtual console is the blow up doll for the TG-16/PCE crowd.  The end result is the same, it just feels different while you're doing it...

RoyVegas

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »
The end result is the same, it just feels different while you're doing it...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All is well. :)

mongler

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »
Yeah, I hated the PSP overdub or redub.  Sounded not as awesome as the PC engine version.

CDJ

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »
I'm guessing they re-did the German because Konami or Nintendo was afraid that the broken German would've been too offensive for natural German people.  It's not like in Japan where nobody cares just as long as it is a foreign tongue and sounds cool. :-k

As a native german speaker, I actually thought the PCE opening narration was surprisingly well done for a JP only title. And it was definitly not broken german. (As the original narrator was german as well.)

And I've heard the japanese VC release retains the original voice over.

If that's true, my only guess as to why they've used the new voice over in the US and PAL regions is that in the original opening the narrator mentions how Dracula feasts on the blood of young women, while in the new opening narration it was changed to the blood of humans.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:48:23 AM by CDJ »