Author Topic: Subtle Difference with VC Rondo of Blood  (Read 2637 times)

offsidewing

Re: Subtle Difference with VC Rondo of Blood
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
Fliege Maus!!!

farankoshan

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
^ isn't it Fledermaus? As in "bat"?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:42:12 PM by farankoshan »
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot f*ck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

esteban

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
Mikimaus?
  |    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:04 AM »
I vaguely recall something regarding the PCE German audio having been sampled from something else which is why the international release didn't include it.
--DragonmasterDan

grahf

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:24 AM »
....waiting for tatsujin to comment on it...

kazekirifx

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
If that's true, my only guess as to why they've used the new voice over in the US and PAL regions is that in the original opening the narrator mentions how Dracula feasts on the blood of young women, while in the new opening narration it was changed to the blood of humans.

This is the answer right here. They censored it because they thought the original dialog sounded too violent.

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »
If that's true, my only guess as to why they've used the new voice over in the US and PAL regions is that in the original opening the narrator mentions how Dracula feasts on the blood of young women, while in the new opening narration it was changed to the blood of humans.

This is the answer right here. They censored it because they thought the original dialog sounded too violent.

When I translated the text from the manual online, when translation tools were still kinda new, it came out as "young virgins". I don't know if it was an accurate interpretation, but anything related to sex is much worse than violence when it comes to censorship in America.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »
I was surprised to read that the opening narration was changed for the VC release, which is the only version I've played so far.

This is my impression from being German:

Some minutes ago I watched the original narration on Youtube. I found it to be without any language errors and it may have even been spoken by a native German from my guess. But to me it sounds rather amateurish, like somebody in a small playhouse speaking to the audience. The narrator makes a feared impression, but also a bit bored. The spoken text is not that exciting and makes it seem like being translated too close from a Japanese text. Still, a surprisingly good effort that puts many games of the recent years to shame where I'm accustomed to bad German voice acting and thus prefer playing the English or Japanese voiced versions.

The VC version's narration sounds more professional to me. He speaks eloquent, and the translation has gone through a major overhaul, making more sense in my opinion - even if it omits some details. This time, it's not the narrator that gets goosebumps out of fear, but the player itself. I like it.

The new narrator is voiced by Klaus-Dieter Klebsch, who did the German voice of Dr Gregory House.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus-Dieter_Klebsch
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:44:55 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Gentlegamer

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »
There's part of the original narration where it sounds like he is part of the satanic ritual and is almost chanting. Seems to fit the cutscene.

Gredler

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 06:07:45 AM »
Is this game available on the Wii U Virtual Console, or do I need to get it on my Wii Account?

esadajr

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »
Is this game available on the Wii U Virtual Console, or do I need to get it on my Wii Account?

As of today, no Obey is available on the WiiU virtual console.
Gaming since 1985

Tatsujin

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:53 AM »
I'm guessing they re-did the German because Konami or Nintendo was afraid that the broken German would've been too offensive for natural German people.  It's not like in Japan where nobody cares just as long as it is a foreign tongue and sounds cool. :-k

the german in the original version was just 101% OK.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Tatsujin

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
but yeah, I also think it's just audible censorship.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

NightWolve

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »
I'm guessing they re-did the German because Konami or Nintendo was afraid that the broken German would've been too offensive for natural German people.  It's not like in Japan where nobody cares just as long as it is a foreign tongue and sounds cool. :-k
the german in the original version was just 101% OK.

I agree.

Yeah, when I used the English fan translation patch for Dracula X, I found that the opening German narration changed - the PSP version was swapped in... I really don't like it compared to the original, but the fan translation team was deliberately trying to convert it to the PSP version as much as possible, including forcing a renaming to the localized title of "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood," dropping the 'X', so that meant going even as far as breaking/eliminating the drawing of the 'X' animation which REALLY surprised me that Bonknuts talents were put to use this way...

That was one of the best things, the slash animation when the 'X' is drawn and a fan translation patch actually eliminates part of what makes it a classic... Really a surprising decision... I mean, you don't have to go by that localization choice when it comes to the PSP version - you had more history, you could go by what EVERYBODY in the US already had known it by when it was localized on the SNES: Castlevania: Dracula X

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/castlevania_dracula_x_snes

That was an officially localized US title and should've carried consideration. If all that was done was taking the English voice acting from the PSP version, and nothing else was changed, I don't think that warranted such an effort to retitle and eliminate the 'X' animation... /random rant

Anyway, that would be interesting if the decision on the German opening narration was due to a desire to eliminate a sexist portrayal of Dracula, his preference to feast on the blood of young women/virgins... ;)

esteban

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »

|    |