Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65269 times)

offsidewing

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #615 on: June 08, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
Arr, I'm rockin' out with Cap'n Margan on ye ol' Dragon SLayer.  ARRR!

Black Tiger

« Reply #616 on: June 08, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
I finally got my hands of a Ys III Famicom cart and am in Ballantine(?) Castle.

So far, it looks like it may be the best console version of Ys III with very little visual sacrifice, awesome music, better(?) gameplay, the biggest sprites and some nice redrawn art.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #617 on: June 08, 2007, 04:56:17 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that ab00t the Famicom version of Ys III. I know I've briefly tested it on an emulator a couple of times and remember thinking it wasn't too good, but I could surely be wrong since I didn't even play through the first dungeon. Did Adol have green hair in that game by chance? Why do I keep thinking there was some game where he did.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #618 on: June 08, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »
Tiny Toon Adventures - Buster's Hidden Treasure

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #619 on: June 08, 2007, 05:21:50 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that the SNES version of Ys III's translation SUCKS?

Turbo D

« Reply #620 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:48 PM »
It sucks

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #621 on: June 08, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »
Absolutely. My nearly-10-year-old computer can run the newest version of the OS! Quickly! On 0.5 GB of RAM! No slowdown! No crashing! No upgrades necessary! My aging G4 will outperform your 2005 souped-up-wham-bam "I love Micro-penis" 1.34557656578 Ghz heap in 7 out of 10 benchmarks! Imagine that!

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.  The oldest G4 is nearly 8 years old (not 10) - they were first released in August of 1999 at the blazing speed of 400mhz.  Your definition of 'quickly' is obviously a little bit different than mine if you think that 400mhz + 512MB + 16MB Rage 128 video = quick.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #622 on: June 08, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that the SNES version of Ys III's translation SUCKS?
Who didn't thought it sucked?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #623 on: June 08, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »
Absolutely. My nearly-10-year-old computer can run the newest version of the OS! Quickly! On 0.5 GB of RAM! No slowdown! No crashing! No upgrades necessary! My aging G4 will outperform your 2005 souped-up-wham-bam "I love Micro-penis" 1.34557656578 Ghz heap in 7 out of 10 benchmarks! Imagine that!

You keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.  The oldest G4 is nearly 8 years old (not 10) - they were first released in August of 1999 at the blazing speed of 400mhz.  Your definition of 'quickly' is obviously a little bit different than mine if you think that 400mhz + 512MB + 16MB Rage 128 video = quick.

My comment is full of half-truths and sarcasm, but the message behind it is genuine. Not that the hardware ultimately makes a big a difference in my comparison-- it's just that Windows is simply a bloated piece of crap. It needs a complete rewrite from the ground up, like, now. Is Vista finally a rewrite or a further bloating of the same framework that's been in use for 15+ years? I stopped paying attention after Windows XP was released.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #624 on: June 08, 2007, 07:46:30 PM »
Vista's further bloating because MS stubbornly won't abandon legacy hardware or remove the crazy amount of customization settings.  Windows bloat isn't only attributable to sloppy coding, not that there isn't plenty of that as well, but also to the number of options and settings that 95% of users will never touch.  I'm not a Mac hater (yeah I am, but I hate everything equally), but I always cringe when Mac humpers (which I don't consider you to be nat) bitch about copy cat Windows.  MS and Apple have been copying each other for years, so don't saddle up the high horse just yet Mac lovers.  Many of Leopard's new features (resolution independence, time machine, spaces, and boot camp) are improvements of current Windows features.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #625 on: June 08, 2007, 10:05:41 PM »
Vista's further bloating because MS stubbornly won't abandon legacy hardware or remove the crazy amount of customization settings.

I'm disappointed to hear that. When will it end, Lord, when?

Windows bloat isn't only attributable to sloppy coding, not that there isn't plenty of that as well, but also to the number of options and settings that 95% of users will never touch.  I'm not a Mac hater (yeah I am, but I hate everything equally), but I always cringe when Mac humpers (which I don't consider you to be nat) bitch about copy cat Windows.  MS and Apple have been copying each other for years, so don't saddle up the high horse just yet Mac lovers.  Many of Leopard's new features (resolution independence, time machine, spaces, and boot camp) are improvements of current Windows features.

I agree with you, nearly 100%. I'd say 85% agreement, only because I don't hate everything.  :wink:

Today, in 2007, I love my Mac. I believe OS X to be the superior OS right now. Actually, I have ever since it was released. My problem with Windows has nothing to do with feature copying, the superior lame-o-factor of Micro-penis-soft, or Bill Gates's astonishingly bad haircut. It's the aforementioned bloat, useless features, and Micro-penis's refusal to drop "legacy" (read: 20 year old hardware) support that gets me going.

Believe it or not, this wasn't always the case-- I used Windows almost exclusively in the 90's. The only Apple hardware I owned in the 90's was the Macintosh Plus my family purchased new in 1988. I believe the classic Mac OS to be inferior of it's Windows contemporaries for EXACTLY the same reason I believe Windows is inferior today. By the time MacOS 9 rolled around, the OS was suffering from the same problems: layers upon layers of new features and settings on top of a 15 year-old framework. But Apple wised up and rewrote their OS on top of a Debian framework (NExT?), thanks largely to Steve Jobs.

As for hardware, there is a fine line anymore between Apples and generic PCs, what with the switch to Intel and all. I think this was an excellent move on Apple's part. This opens all sorts of doors for Apple to expand it's user base.

But until I see a rewritten Windows on the table, I'm going to remain happily on the Apple side of the fence (although I won't be humping any).

nat

« Reply #626 on: June 08, 2007, 10:11:40 PM »
Back on topic:

MegaMan X4 (GameCube compilation)
Midway Arcade Classics (GameCube)

Man, I love the GameCube. It gets far too little love in my household-- rarely played. Maybe I'm alone here, but I think the GameCube has one of the best controller designs on a home video game console, ever. I prefer the third-party "MadCatz" version better though, cuz it's a little bigger. And transparent.

There's nothing like playing a nostalgic round of Marble Madness... That was one of the first arcade games I ever played. I was like 7 years old.

Turbo D

« Reply #627 on: June 09, 2007, 01:26:36 AM »
Mac is just a glorified Linux and is just as vulnerable as any OS.  :twisted:

offsidewing

« Reply #628 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:56 AM »
Mac is just a glorified Linux and is just as vulnerable as any OS.  :twisted:

Shampoo is better!

FM-77

« Reply #629 on: June 09, 2007, 04:06:55 AM »
Dude, it's the customization settings that make Windows so good! That's why I can't stand Mac OS - it's like it was designed for old people. Really old. :P