Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63452 times)

lukester

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #3090 on: December 23, 2017, 06:10:33 PM »
Played through Beyond Oasis...the graphics and combat were outstanding. I didn't like the music nor the lack of enemy variety though...and not being able to save outside of dungeons (if you walk out you reset the damn place) is bull.

lukester

« Reply #3091 on: January 14, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
Decided to try out the original Turrican, the so called "Metroid of Europe". Played it on the amiga emulator of course since the 16-bit console versions are unfortunately shitty.

Holy moly it is a fantastic game! I had a lot of fun blasting through all the levels and finding secrets. It's similar to Mega Turrican which I love on the genesis, but obviously a little more focus on level design than bosses.

Both games have a really annoying (lengthy and maze-like) stage 4 as well. If you die in either stage 3 or stage 4 you may as well reset your system, especially since stage 4 has almost no extra lives available.

The arsenal is good, you have either a multiple shot or a powerful laser. You also have a 360 degree zapper that can destroy enemies and open areas. Secondary options include wave bombs, mines and extremely powerful grenades

There are plenty of extra lives to find, but they all fall out of the air. Once out of sight you cannot get them. It's practically impossible to get any of these in the jetpack level. You also start with a good amount of continues and can get more, but if you use one you start at the beginning of the world.

You can pretty much cheese most of the bosses though. You can turn into an invincible wheel and stay in that form as long as you like, and you can even shoot out of it. The only boss where this doesn't really work is the piranha, which you must shoot in the eye using the zapper. Maybe also the Block guy, which has an alcove that you must stand in and shoot out of.

Definitely a must play, just not on the pc engine.

esteban

« Reply #3092 on: January 15, 2018, 03:39:31 AM »
Decided to try out the original Turrican, the so called "Metroid of Europe". Played it on the amiga emulator of course since the 16-bit console versions are unfortunately shitty.

Holy moly it is a fantastic game! I had a lot of fun blasting through all the levels and finding secrets. It's similar to Mega Turrican which I love on the genesis, but obviously a little more focus on level design than bosses.

Both games have a really annoying (lengthy and maze-like) stage 4 as well. If you die in either stage 3 or stage 4 you may as well reset your system, especially since stage 4 has almost no extra lives available.

The arsenal is good, you have either a multiple shot or a powerful laser. You also have a 360 degree zapper that can destroy enemies and open areas. Secondary options include wave bombs, mines and extremely powerful grenades

There are plenty of extra lives to find, but they all fall out of the air. Once out of sight you cannot get them. It's practically impossible to get any of these in the jetpack level. You also start with a good amount of continues and can get more, but if you use one you start at the beginning of the world.

You can pretty much cheese most of the bosses though. You can turn into an invincible wheel and stay in that form as long as you like, and you can even shoot out of it. The only boss where this doesn't really work is the piranha, which you must shoot in the eye using the zapper. Maybe also the Block guy, which has an alcove that you must stand in and shoot out of.

Definitely a must play, just not on the pc engine.

I tried many years ago but never made it too far in Turrican...this was before I was willing to read guides/FAQs/walkthroughs... but now, after reading your enthusiastic praise, I feel like I *will definitely* revisit Turrican.

|    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #3093 on: January 15, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Witcher 2. There are some changes I don't like from the first game. Mainly that you get almost no experience from killing monsters (it's basically all tied into quests) and combat is much more about patience. Still, I'm having a lot of fun.

lukester

« Reply #3094 on: January 15, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
Esty, it's definitely worth a shot.

Just played through Turrican 2. Took a couple tries but it was about the same difficulty. Unlike Turrican 1 which starts off easy, Turrican 2 starts off harder. The shooter level is so much easier though and plays a lot nicer! Even better soundtrack too

crazydean

« Reply #3095 on: January 15, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
I played Super Ghouls n Ghosts on the SNES all weekend. Like the rest of the series, you have to beat the game twice to fight the final boss and get the true ending. Unfortunately, the weapon they make you use for the final boss the second time is the "Goddess' Bracelet" and it sucks. I made it all the way to the end but just couldn't do it. ](*,)
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

gheebee

« Reply #3096 on: January 16, 2018, 03:16:32 AM »
Since last weekend most of my free time has been going to Xenoblade Chronicles X. Started this one in Sept. but then took a break for Oct. movie watching and then didn’t really feel like playing again until last weekend. It’s not that I got tired of the game but I really prefer to play it when I’m willing to spend pretty much all day on it and it wasn’t until last weekend that I felt like playing games like this. In the 33+ hours I put in Sat. – Mon. I managed to go up 17 levels (level 52) and complete the 10th story mission, which was actually the only story mission I ever died doing. Leveling up becomes so easy once you get a skell!
I was actually trying to hold off on the story missions until I had Nagi and Murderess leveled at their necessary affinity levels but things got a bit tedious trying to do this since the only missions I could seem to find after not very long without doing another story mission were annoying Gathering missions; I tend to not focus on these and then just accept them when I’m at the terminal and see that I’ve already collected everything for them as trying to collect specific items often tends to get annoying. I also can no longer seem to find Nagi after dropping him from the party to do Chapter 9 but I'm sure I'll stumble upon him again at some point.
Anyway, the plan for now is to get Nagi and Murderess’ affinity levels up, hit level 60, go up one more Blade Level to get Bio up to 4 like Mechanical and Archoelogical, and do the Off the Record missions before I start Chapter 11; hopefully the game will not make this too tedious…
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:18:03 AM by gheebee »

Digi.k

« Reply #3097 on: January 17, 2018, 08:53:20 AM »
finally beat this mess of a game. Xeno Chronicles 2.  It's fun but also terribly frustrating.

I do like most of the characters.

Always surprising when you launch a huge ass enemy into the air
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:54:55 AM by Digi.k »

gheebee

« Reply #3098 on: February 05, 2018, 01:47:48 AM »
Continued along with Xenoblade Chronicles X this Sat and managed to find a great grinding spot to quickly level up from 57 to 60 but that was about all the progress I made. I got 3 missions where I just can’t beat the required enemies. One is the “insect you must defeat” from one of the Off the Record missions, another is that White Whale mission where you have to fight off enemies for 3 minutes (on one attempt I went in with 4 skells, lost them all, and then died with 4 seconds left on the clock!!!), and the other is the enemy you have to kill in the second part of the mission where you have to generate 130,000 credits in one tick; I can’t beat any of these challenges and ruined all my skells except for one trying to.
So I guess for now my goal in the game is to simply accumulate money to buy better skells for the whole team. Figured I could do this by just leaving the game on since I’m getting 130,000 credits per tick now but I just read that if you’re not actually playing it won’t work past 1 tick. The salvage prices get kind of ridiculous in this game too, to salvage my best skell it will cost over 2,400,000 credits!

lukester

« Reply #3099 on: February 05, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
Played some Castlevania Chronicles (X68K mode of course). Challenging but a lot of fun, and the best soundtrack (3 versions no less) in the entire series!!

I think I like it more than Super IV but less than Rondo and Bloodlines overall.

crazydean

« Reply #3100 on: February 05, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
Finally beat Super Ghouls n Ghosts. f*ck those bosses!

Actually, the game was very enjoyable and is fun to replay as well. It's just the third and second to the last bosses that make it so difficult to finish.

crazydean

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #3101 on: February 05, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
Tapatalk seems to be sending duplicate messages.

roflmao

« Reply #3102 on: February 15, 2018, 05:07:15 AM »
I started playing through the Famicom version of Ys earlier this week. I'm playing it on my Retron5 with a translation patch. It's a mixed bag so far.

Some of the game looks really good. The cliffs before entering the shrine have some awesome detail. Adol looks good.

Some of the tunes are reproduced faithfully, but some they totally changed.

Some of the story has been changed. Things have been dropped, things have been added.

The grinding is obnoxious. I nearly level-capped Adol before making it to the second boss, because some of the enemies can do insane damage if you don't hit them right. And then a couple of levels later, they won't deal *any* damage.

Still, it's Ys, and that makes it pretty cool. I'll hopefully finish it this weekend.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3103 on: February 15, 2018, 06:30:51 AM »
Dabbling a bit with Shovel Knight on the Nintendo Switch. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way thru now.  Actually went back a couple weeks ago to play thru the Xbone version to unlock the Battletoads stages. haha. Always a great time!  Love this game!

crazydean

« Reply #3104 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »
Dabbling a bit with Shovel Knight on the Nintendo Switch. I'm roughly 3/4 of the way thru now.  Actually went back a couple weeks ago to play thru the Xbone version to unlock the Battletoads stages. haha. Always a great time!  Love this game!

Shovel Knight is a great game. I played it constantly until I beat it the first time,
but after that, I lost interest.

I just bought a Wii U again. I sold my first one because I didn’t want to pay $50 for used games. Now that the Switch is out, everything is much more reasonable. Plus, I paid far less for the console than I did last time.

The Wii U came with Super Mario 3D World. It’s not great. I’m a huge Mario fan, but this one feels like a step back from Galaxy 2 on the Wii. Mario Odyssey is amazing compared to 3D world, but it’s not so impressive next to Galaxy 2.