Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63454 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #855 on: August 23, 2007, 01:41:33 AM »
Does anyone have the PCE version of Exile 2?  Does your character walk extremely close to the edge of the screen, or is that a WD thing? 

Your character walks extremely close to the edge of the screen in the PCE version. 

I've played through the PCE versions of both games, and I don't particularly care for either of them.  Part 2 is so ridiculously linear and easy that it's practically pointless, while part 1 is simply mediocre and doesn't even come close to games like Blood Gear, Xanadu, and Ys III.  The only thing I really liked in either of them was the opening cinema in 2 because the characters look cool and the music rules.   

If you compare every game to the best in their genre you won't find many you like. :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

runinruder

« Reply #856 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:56 AM »
If you compare every game to the best in their genre you won't find many you like. :wink:

That's not a problem I have, thanks. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #857 on: August 23, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »
Yes it is, because Exile 1 and 2 rocks your world.  Now get off your duff and play some US games instead of just Japanese games.  They rock hardcore.  I betcha can't beat Wicked Phenomenon.  Betcha can't betcha can't betcha can't!

Keranu

« Reply #858 on: August 23, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
Yes it is, because Exile 1 and 2 rocks your world.  Now get off your duff and play some US games instead of just Japanese games.  They rock hardcore.  I betcha can't beat Wicked Phenomenon.  Betcha can't betcha can't betcha can't!
AMERICAN POWER! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure runin will breeze through Wicked Phenomenon :( .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #859 on: August 23, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »
Yeah, but let's see him doing it without leveling up (or as little as possible), no weapon or shield upgrades, no potions and taking NO HITS!

Keranu

« Reply #860 on: August 23, 2007, 01:45:27 PM »
Have some mercy, Joe!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #861 on: August 23, 2007, 02:22:59 PM »
Anybody who can beat Astralius can probably beat any Turbo game.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #862 on: August 31, 2007, 02:04:42 AM »
I just got Raiden Trad for SNES yesterday, apparently, I'm the only person on the entire Internet that likes this port, but hell, I think it's AWESOME!  :dance:

Turbo D

« Reply #863 on: August 31, 2007, 02:45:20 AM »
I can beat any turbo game that is too hard.... with a stick  :wink:

Kitsunexus

« Reply #864 on: September 04, 2007, 10:10:27 AM »
Wow, since I'm the only one keeping this topic alive (and since nobody knows how to sticky a topic, apparently  :roll: ) here's what I got in the mail today.

Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max

Capcom Puzzle World

Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins

Now of course, this is very bad, because I have 4 brand new very awesome games, and I don't know which one to devote time to first! It's also bad because now I need a new case to hold more games.

The rest of my PSP collection is:

Gradius Collection

Sega Genesis Collection

Capcom Classics Collection

Bust - A - Move DX

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

What's left to get is:

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Metal Slug Anthology

Carnage Heart Portable (I REALLY WANT THIS!)

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Guilty Gear Judgment

Every Extend Extra

Taito Legends Power-Up

Disgaea: Afternoon Of Darkness

MediEvil Resurrection

Ridge Racer

Wipeout Pulse

Bomberman

Lumines

Sega Genesis Collection Volume 2 (if they make it)

Salamander Collection

Parodious Collection

Mega Man Powered Up

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

Lemmings

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

So as you can see, I have my work cut out for me.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:13:14 AM by Kitsunexus »

Black Tiger

« Reply #865 on: September 04, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »
My copy of Exile MD showed up today. It took me a good 15 minutes to reach the burning crucifixes town, but sure enough its in there uncensored.

I'm pretty sure that the music is unique to this town too, so thats one more thing that got cut from the Genesis version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #866 on: September 04, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
Damn Renovation for censoring my game!  Also be sure to check my Sega-16 Exile comparison this Friday.  We'll see if my burning town pic makes it into the feature.

Keranu

« Reply #867 on: September 04, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
Nice, I'm looking forward to it!

esteban

« Reply #868 on: September 09, 2007, 02:51:48 AM »
So, in yet another moment of desperation, I plunked down a few $$$'s for Metal Slug 3 (Cellular, Verizon).

First impressions...

I have to say that the graphics on cellular games are friggin' nice. Seriously. Metal Slug 3 looks sweet, with many layers of parallax and some really nice, big sprites (bosses, + the occasional tank / plane).

Unfortunately, the same problem that plagues nearly all mobile games rears its ugly head: controls. I suppose that folks who are used to playing MAME with a keyboard will have no problem playing mobile games. Unfortunately, for everyone else, many cellular versions of games are poor imitations of the original game that inspired them.

Jump up AND shoot? (press 2, then 5)
Jump forward / backward? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4)
Jump forward / backward AND shoot? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4, followed quickly by 5)
Turn around and shoot? (press 4/6, followed quickly by 5)
Duck down, then turn around? Forget about it!

All of these basic maneuvers require a "keyboard shortcut" combination of buttons on the keypad (the direction pad is worthless, by the way). Simply turning around to slash someone is annoying, and then you have to go through the sequence again to turn back around.

You feel as if the cell phone is incapable of registering 2+ buttons being pressed simultaneously. Of course, pressing 2+ buttons simultaneously is a hallmark of video game mechanics.

I have already gotten pretty good playing Metal Slug 3 on my phone, despite the horrible controls. It plays like "Kung Fu" or "Vigilante" -- but with guns -- most of the time because I can't be bothered to jump up and explore the platforms unless a worthwhile power-up is there. 

I can't properly judge this game until I've spent more time with it. Stay tuned...

UPDATE: NEO GRADIUS (Cellular) Ha! So after playing Metal Slug 3, I'm appreciating Neo Gradius a lot more. I really like the "Score Attack" mode where you can unlock extra weapons. I don't give a damn about unlocking weapons (though I tend to use "double shot" a lot), but the minimum target scores you have to earn are set at a nice difficulty level, IMO. It's really addictive to just play this mode. In fact, I spend most of my time doing this since it is a shorter, self-contained mini-game.

I actually like some of the music in Neo Gradius, though I usually am not able to listen to it w/o annoying everyone else on the subway.

I've beaten Neo Gradius a few times,  but I have yet to play it on the highest difficulty level. Overall, despite the sloppy controls in this game, I have actually had a lot of fun playing it. The direction pad is glitchy at times (unresponsive), but it feels like a temporary hiccup in a "relatively smooth running game" * , unlike, say, Bonk's Return, which is impossible to play with the direction pad because the direction pad registers things inconsistently and prevents you from executing pixel-perfect jumps (that the keypad allows).

* I'm using the term "smoothly-running" loosely here. This is a mobile game, afterall. GUTS teases me for playing these cellular games, but I honestly don't want to buy/carry another electronic device with me. Playing on my phone is fun and convenient. The problem, of course, is finding a game that complements the cellular platform.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:59:34 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

rag-time4

« Reply #869 on: September 09, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »
So, in yet another moment of desperation, I plunked down a few $$$'s for Metal Slug 3 (Cellular, Verizon).

First impressions...

I have to say that the graphics on cellular games are friggin' nice. Seriously. Metal Slug 3 looks sweet, with many layers of parallax and some really nice, big sprites (bosses, + the occasional tank / plane).

Unfortunately, the same problem that plagues nearly all mobile games rears its ugly head: controls. I suppose that folks who are used to playing MAME with a keyboard will have no problem playing mobile games. Unfortunately, for everyone else, many cellular versions of games are poor imitations of the original game that inspired them.

Jump up AND shoot? (press 2, then 5)
Jump forward / backward? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4)
Jump forward / backward AND shoot? (press 2, followed quickly by 3/4, followed quickly by 5)
Turn around and shoot? (press 4/6, followed quickly by 5)
Duck down, then turn around? Forget about it!

All of these basic maneuvers require a "keyboard shortcut" combination of buttons on the keypad (the direction pad is worthless, by the way). Simply turning around to slash someone is annoying, and then you have to go through the sequence again to turn back around.

You feel as if the cell phone is incapable of registering 2+ buttons being pressed simultaneously. Of course, pressing 2+ buttons simultaneously is a hallmark of video game mechanics.

I have already gotten pretty good playing Metal Slug 3 on my phone, despite the horrible controls. It plays like "Kung Fu" or "Vigilante" -- but with guns -- most of the time because I can't be bothered to jump up and explore the platforms unless a worthwhile power-up is there. 

I can't properly judge this game until I've spent more time with it. Stay tuned...

UPDATE: NEO GRADIUS (Cellular) Ha! So after playing Metal Slug 3, I'm appreciating Neo Gradius a lot more. I really like the "Score Attack" mode where you can unlock extra weapons. I don't give a damn about unlocking weapons (though I tend to use "double shot" a lot), but the minimum target scores you have to earn are set at a nice difficulty level, IMO. It's really addictive to just play this mode. In fact, I spend most of my time doing this since it is a shorter, self-contained mini-game.

I actually like some of the music in Neo Gradius, though I usually am not able to listen to it w/o annoying everyone else on the subway.

I've beaten Neo Gradius a few times,  but I have yet to play it on the highest difficulty level. Overall, despite the sloppy controls in this game, I have actually had a lot of fun playing it. The direction pad is glitchy at times (unresponsive), but it feels like a temporary hiccup in a "relatively smooth running game" * , unlike, say, Bonk's Return, which is impossible to play with the direction pad because the direction pad registers things inconsistently and prevents you from executing pixel-perfect jumps (that the keypad allows).

* I'm using the term "smoothly-running" loosely here. This is a mobile game, afterall. GUTS teases me for playing these cellular games, but I honestly don't want to buy/carry another electronic device with me. Playing on my phone is fun and convenient. The problem, of course, is finding a game that complements the cellular platform.

I've got a question...

Are any of Koei's classic strategy or RPG games available on cellular? (Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Uncharted Waters, etc)??