Author Topic: Adol in Vasteel II wrong system card screen?  (Read 688 times)

Keranu

Adol in Vasteel II wrong system card screen?
« on: July 15, 2005, 12:13:45 AM »
Take a look for yourself:

Looks a helluva lot like Adol, yet the screen doesn't mention anything about it. It could be a SD version of the main character, except with red hair but I don't know. This game is also not made by Falcom or even Hudson Soft, quite strange.

And as far as other Adol sighting go, hehe, did anyone catch that total Adol character walking around in some town in Lunar for Sega CD? I took a screenshot of it once and cut the sprite out along with the Ys Book I & II sprite of Adol and compared them in one image and actually sent Working Designs and email about it. I have it on the net, but I can't link the image. I'll try posting it later.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 12:19:04 AM »
Well it appears the the picture isn't showing anymore, but check out the PC Engine Catalog and search for "Vasteel II" in the catalog search and click on "Images". You might need to be a registered user to see this picture though.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

twor2005

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 06:39:19 AM »
I'd like to see the Lunar thing, sounds neat. As for Vasteel, its probably just the red haired girl pictured on the back of the box. Does look like Adol's clothing colors though.

lord_cack

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 09:19:48 AM »
It appears that a lot of the pictures on PCECP are down  :? hmmmm
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

nodtveidt

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 01:59:05 PM »
The pictures aren't down, they return a 403 if remote-linked. And that's not Adol whatsoever...sorry K. :D

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 01:24:37 PM »
Uh, I believe that's a pic of the chick in the game, just look at the front or back covers.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 04:08:23 PM »
One reason why I am not fond of anime in particular: MALES AND FEMALES LOOK THE SAME!

twor2005

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »
Ok well since this is basically resolved, anyone care to comment on Vasteel 2? I really enjoyed the first one though I haven't played it in a long time, and it gets really tough. People think Fire Emblem on the GBA is tough today  :lol:

But anyway I'd to hear some opinions/thoughts/discussion on Vasteel 1 or 2. Any reason to pick it up besides the possibility of ogling a "femme" Adol?  :wink: I bet Dogi would like this game. :twisted:

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 02:24:55 AM »
I've never even played the first Vasteel yet, but I'm dying to. It looks really fun and unique. By the way, have you played it with two players? I am curious to see how that is!

twor2005

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 07:15:59 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I've never even played the first Vasteel yet, but I'm dying to. It looks really fun and unique. By the way, have you played it with two players? I am curious to see how that is!

Yeah its pretty good that way I think. Kind of like playing a board game though because it takes  so long. A single turn (for both players) can take 40 minutes. Which is a drawback to the single player game since you're sitting there waiting for the computer to move every piece.

Its amazing how much  PCM voice is in that game. There are detailed voice descriptions of every mech.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 10:17:54 AM »
Yes I have read about all the voices in the game. Sounds like quite an amazing game that I would love. It can be quite rare to find online to buy these days, but it doesn't seem to get terribly expensive or anything.

nodtveidt

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 10:24:12 AM »
Vasteel is one of the coolest strategy games ever made, hands down. IMO, it makes all these wanabe RTS games look like chump change...I've never seen a game quite like it. There's even a bit of "local" humour in the US version, stabbing at previous WD titles (like an ATAC called a "Galam", with the description that starts with "Just ask Van and he'll tell you that Galam is one tough fighter"). The game's tough at first because you have to learn both the strategy element and the arcade element (how many other strategy games have you duke it out like in this game? To my knowledge...zero) but once you play for awhile and learn how each ATAC performs (like using Leeches in deep sea or using Snowbears in the icy cold areas...also, missle firing rates, gun damage, gun range and angle, front/rear damage percentages, and my favourite...learning how to use city defenses to wipe out the enemy without shooting a single missle or bullet or using the "pause-fire" flaw to destroy invaders of unprotected cities), making your way through the game becomes a simple matter of paying attention. Battleship-to-battleship combat is something I still can't quite figure out though...so I keep my battleships off of the front line and let my strongest ATACs attack battleships instead (imagine taking down a 6 battery battleship with a Scout...yep, I've done it before :) ).

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 11:10:13 AM »
Hehe, nice CF2 reference. I have noticed in a lot of Working Design ports that the names "Abel" and "Galam" are used often.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 02:26:29 PM »
Don't forget the guy in Lunar 2 for PSX that mentions Guy Kazama, & how "stingy" he is or something like that :lol:   It's a shame that Vasteel 2 doesn't let you play as the robots!

esteban

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 08:10:57 PM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Vasteel is one of the coolest strategy games ever made, hands down. IMO, it makes all these wanabe RTS games look like chump change...I've never seen a game quite like it. There's even a bit of "local" humour in the US version, stabbing at previous WD titles (like an ATAC called a "Galam", with the description that starts with "Just ask Van and he'll tell you that Galam is one tough fighter"). The game's tough at first because you have to learn both the strategy element and the arcade element (how many other strategy games have you duke it out like in this game? To my knowledge...zero) but once you play for awhile and learn how each ATAC performs (like using Leeches in deep sea or using Snowbears in the icy cold areas...also, missle firing rates, gun damage, gun range and angle, front/rear damage percentages, and my favourite...learning how to use city defenses to wipe out the enemy without shooting a single missle or bullet or using the "pause-fire" flaw to destroy invaders of unprotected cities), making your way through the game becomes a simple matter of paying attention. Battleship-to-battleship combat is something I still can't quite figure out though...so I keep my battleships off of the front line and let my strongest ATACs attack battleships instead (imagine taking down a 6 battery battleship with a Scout...yep, I've done it before :) ).
Right on. :)  Vasteel owes a LOT to the ARCHON formula (strategy + arcade action after moving).  There should be more games that use this formula, because it really is a nice balance. Unfortunately, designers / gamers often think that strategy and arcade skills are mutually exclusive categories!

To the person who asked about Vasteel 1 and 2: Vasteel 1 is great for all the reasons nodtveidt pointed out, PLUS it has icing on the cake: AWESOME soundtrack (space jazz muzak). Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but I really dug it (it was a nice change of pace).  The arcade battles are pretty easy, though, so you may want to handicap yourself by setting battles to "auto" and allowing the the AI to (poorly) fight on your behalf.  

Vasteel 2 -- I've never really gotten into it -- it lacks the charm of its predecessor and uses a different gameplay formula (i.e. no arcade action).

P.S. I love all the funny references you folks found in these games.
  |    |