Author Topic: sega cd version of lords of thunder  (Read 889 times)

AlexKidd

sega cd version of lords of thunder
« on: July 21, 2005, 10:06:56 PM »
Is this worth playing since I don't have a duo at the moment? How does it compare to the original?

twor2005

Re: sega cd version of lords of thunder
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 10:16:21 PM »
Quote from: "AlexKidd"
Is this worth playing since I don't have a duo at the moment? How does it compare to the original?

I haven't played it but have you seen this?

https://www.pcenginefx.com/main/pcenginefx_com_-_feature_-_lor1.html

Looks about the same to me, color is decent for a Sega CD game. Except you'll be betraying us of course  :wink:

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 02:16:36 AM »
Black Tiger sent me a SVCD comparing the two. For the most part, they are the same game. The only difference is that the Duo version has more and brighter colors, better soundtrack, better sound effects (one weapon in the Sega CD version sounds HIDEOUS), and it seems that the Duo version offers just a little more challenge. Also in the Sega CD version, you're sprite does this annoying freeze when you get hit. It's your choice to buy the Sega CD version, but I'll give you major hardcore points for buying any kind of TG16/PCE system to play it along with the game  :twisted: .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 10:30:14 AM »
The Sega CD version is ok...it's certainly playable and fills the void if you don't have the Duo version. But once you DO have the Duo version...you'll never go back to the Sega CD version...the Duo version looks better, sounds better, plays better, and offers more of a challenge (the Sega CD version is really dumbed down in comparison).

AlexKidd

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 06:02:20 PM »
I think i'm going to hold out for the duo version. I keep playing all these inferior versions of duo games, like valis 3,ys 3 and forgotten worlds on the genesis. I was going to get exile for genesis too. I really want a Japanese duo though i'm waiting for one that's under $200 on ebay.

lord_cack

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 10:33:43 PM »
Quote from: "AlexKidd"
I think i'm going to hold out for the duo version. I keep playing all these inferior versions of duo games, like valis 3,ys 3 and forgotten worlds on the genesis. I was going to get exile for genesis too. I really want a Japanese duo though i'm waiting for one that's under $200 on ebay.

Well the Ys III is up in the air. The Duo version has nicer graphics, much better music, and cut scenes but the animation is better on the Sega version. Atleast I thought....Still like the Duo version better as the animation isnt that big a deal...
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 01:17:27 AM »
Ys III can certainly be debatable, but I prefer the Turbo CD version over all, mainly because of the music and the graphics (certainly not the parralax scrolling however!). Oh and plus it has two nice cutscenes.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 03:19:58 AM »
The Genesis version of Exile is pretty lame. If you thought the TG version was easy...the Genesis version is even easier, and of course, lacks the killer soundtrack and cutscenes...not to mention the colours.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 04:01:23 AM »
Man the colors are in the Genesis version are so dirty and washed out compared to the Duo (especially in the portraits). Also the soundtrack totally BLOWS compared to the Duo's, which had an awesome soundtrack. I haven't beat the Genesis version, but I never knew that it was actually easier than the TGCD version. I want to try out the MSX versions.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 10:08:50 PM »
It's also shorter then the Turbo version(Exile) or so I'm told.  I also want to play the MSX versions one of these days.  On LOT for Sega CD, I compared the 2 back n forth.....I personally think the Sega CD version is trash..but, it does fill the void if you don't have the Turbo version.

esteban

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 02:11:22 PM »
I posted this at magicengine, and, since this topic was recently resurrected, I thought you folks might dig it:

here's something you won't find by googling:

Lords of Blunder?

I think Nemo sums it up nicely :) ... if only all video game articles were written as eloquently ...

Enjoy!
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 06:56:17 PM »
My same post from the Magic Engine message board applies here :P .

FM-77

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 09:18:13 PM »
Might I just add that Ys III for the Genny is far superior to the Turbo version. In fact, the Genesis version is the best version of all Ys III versions.

PC-8801/PC-9801 - original version. Poor scrolling, poor graphics.
MSX - poor scrolling
NES - poor graphics and sound
SNES - poor graphics, sound and gameplay. This is the worst version.
Genesis - good graphics, good sound, faithful to the original version, best gameplay of all versions
PC Engine - poor graphics, poor gameplay, good music
PS2 - good graphics, gameplay and music
PC - Ys: The Oath in Felghana (3D remake) - good graphics, good sound, fantastic gameplay. Highly recommended.

These are just my opinions.

GUTS

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 01:28:43 PM »
I pretty much agree with you, I had the most fun with the Genesis version and thought it had the best graphics out of them all.    I thought the Duo version was great too though with the cinemas and music making it about equal to the Genesis version, but the Genesis's awesome parallax scrolling puts it slightly in the lead.  

The SNES version was just awful though with that shitty mode 7 intro and crappy graphics.

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 07:31:29 PM »
I have to prefer the TGCD version, with the Genesis version being second best. I have to take the way better overall graphics, music, cinemas, structured layout, and equally as good gameplay over smoother parallax scrolling.