Author Topic: Help im confused.  (Read 1046 times)

1980-20..

Help im confused.
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
Ok im new here and im confused!. So ive started this thread and ill put all my stupid questions in one place so as not to clog up your well maintained and tidy forum.

Question number 1. Ive just become the owner of a Pal Turbographix system, will US games run on it without a converter.

Question number 2. What do the sliders on the Turbographix controller do.

Ill have more stupid questions later.

Tatsujin

Re: Help im confused.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:11 PM »
A1: Yeah they will, but probably the system will not run on your TV (PAL vs. NTSC).

A2: They do allow you to fire faster than you may fire manually (or at least equal fast, but probably longer than you).

PS: Welcome to the asylum.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

1980-20..

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »
Thanks Tatsujin. Forgot to mention Im in the uk!. So the tv things isnt a problem. :D

Frank_fjs

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
Yeah, the PAL version is near identical to the US system except it has a chip that converts the NTSC signal to PAL, and comes with an adapter for 240v power. Other than that the differences are cosmetic. They play all US games but not Japanese games. You can mod it or use a converter though. I don't think there were many, if any,  European releases of games. They are either American or Japanese.

Oh, and welcome.

1980-20..

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »
Ok here comes some more stupid questions.

Q3. The game that i got with the machine is blazing Lasers, it came loose so i dont have any instructions for it and when you press the select button on the pad some arrows apear on the screen but other than that it has no visible effect. Is this a hardware thing or software, ie if i pressed the select button in another game would the same happen, is it changing somekind of hardware settings.

Q4. I was reading the compatability page on the website (Very handy it is too) and i think i just about understand it, still a bit confused by all the different cd formats but im only interested in the hu cards at the mo anyway. So the question is am i right in saying that any hu card will run on any system.

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »
So the question is am i right in saying that any hu card will run on any system.

this is right for any cd-roms (almost) but very not for any hucars.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

1980-20..

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:38:20 AM »
Sorry ill re phrase that question. Will a Us hu card work on all Us systems and vice versa will all Jap hu cards work on all Jap systems?.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
Sorry ill re phrase that question. Will a Us hu card work on all Us systems and vice versa will all Jap hu cards work on all Jap systems?.

Yes. Both statements are correct. Amongst the same region all (HuCard) games will be compatible.

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
right for the japanese hucards, exept for the super hucards, which will only run on a super grafx. there exist whole five of those.

www.pcedaisakusen.net

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 04:01:19 AM »
Greetings! :)

Ok here comes some more stupid questions.

Q3. The game that i got with the machine is blazing Lasers, it came loose so i dont have any instructions for it and when you press the select button on the pad some arrows apear on the screen but other than that it has no visible effect. Is this a hardware thing or software, ie if i pressed the select button in another game would the same happen, is it changing somekind of hardware settings.

Q4. I was reading the compatability page on the website (Very handy it is too) and i think i just about understand it, still a bit confused by all the different cd formats but im only interested in the hu cards at the mo anyway. So the question is am i right in saying that any hu card will run on any system.

1. I'm not sure what those arrows are on the screen that you are referring to.  :-k You should post a picture of your TV with these arrows.

2. Yeah, the CD formats can be confusing at first. You'll get the gist of it soon enough.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

BlueBMW

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 04:40:46 AM »
The arrows are the speed of your ship.  Press select until you find a speed that's comfortable for you.  This function is common in shooters but its not a hardware function.

Welcome to the turbo world!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ceti alpha

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:39 AM »
The arrows are the speed of your ship.  Press select until you find a speed that's comfortable for you.  This function is common in shooters but its not a hardware function.

Welcome to the turbo world!

Ahh. Yes. Of course. I was thinking he was seeing the arrows on the title screen.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
Looks like your questions have been answered thus far, so I'll just say welcome aboard.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

1980-20..

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
Looks like your questions have been answered thus far, so I'll just say welcome aboard.

Cheers Necromancer. Im running out of stupid questions you guys are too quick.

Q.5 Is there any gain from having a US system instead of a PAL one, increased frame rate or any other geeky boffin type stuff.

Q.6 If i do buy a US system i know i need a step down power converter thingy but what about hooking it up to the tv is there anything id need.

Cheers.

BlueBMW

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »
Q.5 Is there any gain from having a US system instead of a PAL one, increased frame rate or any other geeky boffin type stuff.

Q.6 If i do buy a US system i know i need a step down power converter thingy but what about hooking it up to the tv is there anything id need.

If you're going to go to the trouble of converting voltages and video signals, then you'd be best off finding a Japanese Duo-R or RX.  That would grant you the ability to play the most games possible.  You could still use your regular Turbografx to play US hucards, and the Duo-R could be for all the awesome Japanese Hueys, as well as ALL the CDROM games (except for Arcade titles which would only require an Arcade card huey)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc