Author Topic: Turbo Grafx monitor?.  (Read 1072 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Turbo Grafx monitor?.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »
The earliest arcade machines were black and white. The color ones are RGB because...why wouldn't they be? Converting to composite would be an extra step, a step which the monitor itself ends up undoing anyway.

Composite was created for the home video market because that's how home video formats stored the signal. Storing a signal as fat as RGB on analog tape would require a massive cassette with 5 lbs of 2" tape in it. There is nothing more native that composite for Laserdisc, to use another example. Since these were the highest form of input on 80s TVs, this is what the game machines put out.

And yeah, the quality of composite varies greatly. I recently started collecting Genesis for the first time since I traded my 1992 system in for a SNES. I put Bloodlines in and my word that is the fuzziest blurriest shit I've ever seen. I don't remember it being this bad. I used my C64 monitor mainly back in the day. Maybe that has a better composite circuit? None of my other systems look this bad. My PC Engines and Famiclones are pure as can be by comparison. The Saturn and SNES are amazing as well. Similarly there are some LD players with freakishly good composite.

I remember the Neo Geo having a pretty crap composite circuit, but the Neo Geo CD being much better.

Mathius

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
Yeah, composite video really sucks. It has a habit of creating a blurred, washed out mess. Colours are also misinterpreted as you pointed out. Compare the red vertical stripes in the shop window in the top/left of the image too. In RGB each line is clearly defined, in composite they all blur together.

This is what happens when you cram a video signal into a single cable. Why do you think all arcade machines, even the earliest ones, use an RGB video signal. Composite is only a minor step up from RF. Aside from the convenience of not having to tune in a channel and stereo sound, it (composite) has little benefit. Naturally, RF sucks ass as the video signal is crammed into an even worse cable which is prone to interference, you need to tune it in and to make matters worse, the same cable shares a (crappy mono) audio signal too.

To be fair though, some consoles output composite better than others. For example, the Super Nintendo actually has quite decent composite output whereas the Mega Drive has possibly the worst composite output. Interestingly, the white Japanese PC Engine, which only has RF out, still manages to output a really clean video signal. It's the only console that I know of that has great RF out.

I wouldn't recommend retro gaming on anything less than an S-Video cable. Component or RGB are the way to go though, where possible. You'd be surprised at how many retro consoles natively output an RGB signal. All you need is the right cable and a TV with an RGB scart socket. Off the top of my head, some consoles that output an RGB signal without modification are: Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Super Nintendo, Neo Geo AES, Sony Playstation etc. For those that don't, you can either mod them to do so or in some cases an S-Video cable will exist, such is the case with some N64's.

Another option is video encoders but that's another lengthy discussion and I've probably already bored everyone here with this post. :)

You are not boring me one bit. I am trying to learn the best I can about RGB and SCART. I understand RF, composite, S-Video, and component well enough, but I don't know where to even start on getting my CRT TV, for example, to accept an RGB signal. It has all the major connections mentioned above, but I am still unsure what to do from there. I am happy as can be with S-Video out for my Neo Geo, but I would love to see my Genesis output RGB.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Frank_fjs

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »
I don't know where to even start on getting my CRT TV, for example, to accept an RGB signal. It has all the major connections mentioned above, but I am still unsure what to do from there. I am happy as can be with S-Video out for my Neo Geo, but I would love to see my Genesis output RGB.

You'll notice the biggest difference on a Mega Drive, because as mentioned they are renown for having horrible composite output.

The first thing you need to do is determine whether your TV accepts an RGB signal. Not all TV's do, even ones with scart inputs. Some TV's have scart inputs but only accept a composite video signal, though this is rare.

So, does your TV have a scart input? What brand is it and what's its model number?

If your TV does have an RGB scart input, you will need to get an RGB scart cable to suit your Mega Drive. This is a link to a reputable eBay seller who sells high quality RGB cables (pcenginesales): http://myworld.ebay.com.au/pcenginesales&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID <- She's a member of these forums too. Find a cable to suit your console, make sure it is RGB.

Then all you have to do is plug it in and you're away, as simple as that. Most TV's will auto detect the signal and switch to the appropriate AV mode. If not, there will be a setting to do so somewhere.

If your TV doesn't have a scart input, but does have component you can use a converter such as the CSY-2100 or for a cheaper equivalent the CVS-287. These devices take an RGB scart signal and convert it to component. This is the next best thing to an RGB scart connection. I have one myself but I much prefer a straight scart connection. They are prone to some image distortion, they're not perfect.

Another (more expensive) option for the Mega Drive is the XMD-3 from Micomsoft. The XMD-3 converts the Mega Drive's signal in to pure analogue RGB, it has S-Video out as well as an 8 pin + 15 pin analogue RGB connection.

Mathius

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 07:16:39 PM »
My TV does not have a scart input.

So if I were to get a CSY-2100 or CVS-287 it would essentially allow me to output my Genesis with component, negating modifying the console to output component directly? Does that make any sense? :lol:

Frank_fjs

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
The Mega Drive already outputs an RGB signal, no modding is required.

The CSY-2100 has a scart input and component output, so if you grab an RGB scart cable you will be able to run your Mega Drive via component through the CSY-2100. However, that would not be your best option as if your TV has a scart input you could simply plug the RGB scart cable from your Mega Drive directly into your TV. This eliminates the need for a CSY-2100 and will give you the best picture quality possible.

The CSY-2100 is mainly useful for people who don't have a scart TV.

Mathius

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »
I am positive my TV won't output scart. It only goes up to component, unfortunately.:(

So, what I asked earlier was will the signal coming from the CSY-2100, which is being inputted with the actual RGB signal coming from the Genesis, essentially be downgraded to a component signal, and not true RGB because my TV only inputs component?

Frank_fjs

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »
You said in your post above that your TV has a scart input? You're TV doesn't need to output anything, it merely needs to accept a scart input, and if it has a scart plug it obviously does.

Component still utilises a separate RGB signal and is very close in quality to an RGB scart input. The genesis will output pure RGB via a scart cable, this RGB signal is fed into the CSY-2100 -> converted to component and output to your TV via its component input. So yes, the signal is downgraded but not by much, very little needs to be done to convert RGB to component as they are very similar signals.

I will say it again, if your TV has a scart input (rectangular 21 pin connection) then simply use that and don't worry about the CSY-2100. IF not, then component via the CSY-2100 is your best bet.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »
He lives in Indiana. He does not have SCART.

Mathius

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 05:47:15 AM »
Yeah, I am in the US so my TV isn't going to allow a scart connection. Thanks for the info though! :D I am a little clearer on all this madness.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
SCART is like the HDMI of the 80s.   why we never got it is beyond me.   
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

1980-20..

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
SCART is like the HDMI of the 80s.   why we never got it is beyond me.  
Scart snd nipples you guys really are missing out.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »
What was that about nipples? lol

1980-20..

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
I thought people in America weren't allowed to look at nipples!. Dont you have to put sticky tape over em or something. I think men nipples are allowed though.

Mathius

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »
I thought people in America weren't allowed to look at nipples!. Dont you have to put sticky tape over em or something. I think men nipples are allowed though.

Yeah, I got to make sure my girlfriend puts on that sticky tape before we fool around. :P

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
I look at nipples all the time man.  Dunno who told you that, but man were they dumb.