Author Topic: Turbo Grafx monitor?.  (Read 1071 times)

1980-20..

Re: Turbo Grafx monitor?.
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
I look at nipples all the time man.  Dunno who told you that, but man were they dumb.

Sorry just my little attempt at humor, i really should stop.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »
lol, though a world without nipples and HDMI is a world I don't want to live in.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »
SCART is like the HDMI of the 80s.   why we never got it is beyond me.  

Not really. HDMI has a lot of advantages, but really it was invented solely because DVI didn't have HDCP built into it. The end product is certainly the most convenient and high end video standard for the home ever made, but that's just a side effect. It wasn't developed to be the best, it was developed was to lock down content.

SCART on the other hand...it really can't have been used by a very high percentage of the population. Its no mystery why it never was implemented in the US. The odd thing is that it was sold anywhere. Its only useful for RGB sources, and how many of those are there? Video games and...what else? Anything? And what video games? Mainly Sega consoles and low end home computers. The number of people who give a shit about having the highest output possible, and are Sega/Amiga fans is a pretty f*cking small percentage of the population. It might be a lot larger in Europe, but its not even %1 of the US.

I really do hope HDMI is the last thing we have for a decade or so. That bullshit in the 90s/00s was stupid. Going from the previous high end of s-video+stereo+SPDIF to component+SPDIF to DVI+SPDIF to HDMI in less than 10 years leads to a lot of electronics in the landfill for no good reason. The cables! Shit! Miles of cables from the component era that are rather useless now.

1980-20..

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
I remember when the Saturn was released in the uk and it came boxed with only a scart cable, i was like scart wtf isscart i aint got no scart om my tv. I didnt buy mine on release i got it a couple of months later and everywhere had sold out of the Rf cables, i eventualy found one in a little independent game store.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »
Heh, I actually have a 1st party Saturn RF switch. I only have it because I'm H@rDc0Re though, and got a really good deal on it (ie: free). It's the only one I've ever seen, and I've only ever used it in hotels.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
I think scart is great. It combined everything (audio/video) into the one cable long before HDMI ever came into existence.

There are more devices that utilise an RGB scart connection other than retro consoles. VCR's, DVD players, digital receivers, Foxtel etc.

Scart isn't big in my country (Australia), in fact, most people don't even know what it is. That said, you can still buy a TV with a scart input in Australia, even the new ones.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »
There is no such thing as an RGB VCR.

OK, here's where someone posts a link to some hella-L337 prosumer ED Beta unit with fully digital processing...

In broad usage though, if it doesn't have a CPU it isn't going to be putting out RGB.

Duo_R

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
The transcoder box will get you the best possible picture on the television you currently own.  Highly recommend going this route. I own two of these boxes and have posted details about them on these forums.

I am positive my TV won't output scart. It only goes up to component, unfortunately.:(

So, what I asked earlier was will the signal coming from the CSY-2100, which is being inputted with the actual RGB signal coming from the Genesis, essentially be downgraded to a component signal, and not true RGB because my TV only inputs component?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Frank_fjs

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
I don't get the best signal out of my CSY-2100 on some systems, so I ended up getting a scart TV.

E.g. using it with my Mega Drive, the screen will flicker and react to things like flashing text ('press start' on a title screen etc). The colours are a little off too. Still a damn good option for people without a scart TV though.

Does anyone here know if the PC Engine (Core Grafx, Duo etc) actually outputs an RGB signal? I've heard that it does but it is simply not amplified, is this correct?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
It doesn't output the signal at all, but it does exist internally so it can be hacked to output RGB, and yeah it will need to be amplified.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »
SCART is like the HDMI of the 80s.   why we never got it is beyond me.  

Not really. HDMI has a lot of advantages, but really it was invented solely because DVI didn't have HDCP built into it. The end product is certainly the most convenient and high end video standard for the home ever made, but that's just a side effect. It wasn't developed to be the best, it was developed was to lock down content.

SCART on the other hand...it really can't have been used by a very high percentage of the population. Its no mystery why it never was implemented in the US. The odd thing is that it was sold anywhere. Its only useful for RGB sources, and how many of those are there? Video games and...what else? Anything? And what video games? Mainly Sega consoles and low end home computers. The number of people who give a shit about having the highest output possible, and are Sega/Amiga fans is a pretty f*cking small percentage of the population. It might be a lot larger in Europe, but its not even %1 of the US.

I really do hope HDMI is the last thing we have for a decade or so. That bullshit in the 90s/00s was stupid. Going from the previous high end of s-video+stereo+SPDIF to component+SPDIF to DVI+SPDIF to HDMI in less than 10 years leads to a lot of electronics in the landfill for no good reason. The cables! Shit! Miles of cables from the component era that are rather useless now.

I mean in the sense that it carries audio and video in one easy to shove into place cable.

The europeans sure do love them some SCART.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
It doesn't output the signal at all, but it does exist internally so it can be hacked to output RGB, and yeah it will need to be amplified.

Thanks. :)