Author Topic: Turbo Grafx monitor?.  (Read 1070 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Turbo Grafx monitor?.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:44:13 AM »
It's an overpriced monitor with a built-in PCE that someone has region modded.  Who in their right mind would spend $1000 to play TG-16 games on a 14" screen and without the option of playing CD titles?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Duo_R

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:04:45 AM »
Is that the rare PC Engine LT Pro?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »
Who in their right mind would spend $1000 to play TG-16 games on a 14" screen and without the option of playing CD titles?

I can think of at least 1 dumbshit who would.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:06:58 AM »
I can think of at least 1 dumbshit who would.

If you're talking about who I think you are, please put away your flame thrower.  Unless you meant yourself.  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »
If it were cheap, I'd love to have such a thing. Even at $1000 this thing is a way better deal than a $300 copy of Dynastic Hero.

Of course it would have to have be hacked back into playing PC Engines games again, or at least into having a switch. A US-only HuCard-only system is pretty fringe...

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
doooooooooooode it would of been dope 10 yearsago but yeah no cd and the screan is prolly weak..  Imagine retro britin that thing!(is it white?)
that things been on e shitcrapbay for over a year now
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Paul

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »
u'd be better off just paying a 20 inch tv man lol or somehow buy the hookups to play it on ur current monitor

Frank_fjs

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
This thing has been collecting dust on eBay for ages.

Aside from the convenience of everything being incorporated, it displays a pure RGB signal. This is the only thing that appeals to me, but you can mod a console and watch it on a much larger scart TV for a fraction of the cost.

It's a cool piece of history, no doubt, but not worth its asking price.

This seller merely raids hard off stores and resells items at an inflated price on eBay to retro suckers, like us!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Theres no suckers on this forum.

that thing would be cool to have around to do devstuff on since its a system and monitor etc, all in one little thing.......

or I could just plug a coregrafx into a 1084 monitor.  same f*cking thing.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
I've been trying to track down a working 1084 monitor for an arcade pcb test rig, in my neck of the woods they are rare and often command big dollars.

I consider myself a sucker, the amount of money that I've sent to Japan for Japanese consoles is ridiculous, but I will never stop! :D Mind you, the main killer for me is the cost of EMS shipping but I wouldn't have large expensive items sent to me in any other way.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
do you need one with an RGB din on it

and where do you live

Oh.  Australia.  Shit that sucks , cause I have 2 spare ones but shipping there would kill you.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
Yep, living in Australia means that the shipping will always kill me.

I do plan on getting an RGB modded Duo, I have my eye on one but don't have the spare funds atm.

I run all my consoles via RGB where possible. I picked up a nice Grundig 82cm RGB scart cabable TV and have bought cables for all my retro consoles that natively output RGB.

Here's a comparison shot of my Mega Drive II console running in composite vs RGB, night and day really. The shots were taken via a digital camera so don't reflect the actual quality of the TV screen but they serve well as a comparison as both shots were taken identically.

nat

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
Interesting how that bar is green on composite and blue on RGB...

Frank_fjs

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
Yeah, composite video really sucks. It has a habit of creating a blurred, washed out mess. Colours are also misinterpreted as you pointed out. Compare the red vertical stripes in the shop window in the top/left of the image too. In RGB each line is clearly defined, in composite they all blur together.

This is what happens when you cram a video signal into a single cable. Why do you think all arcade machines, even the earliest ones, use an RGB video signal. Composite is only a minor step up from RF. Aside from the convenience of not having to tune in a channel and stereo sound, it (composite) has little benefit. Naturally, RF sucks ass as the video signal is crammed into an even worse cable which is prone to interference, you need to tune it in and to make matters worse, the same cable shares a (crappy mono) audio signal too.

To be fair though, some consoles output composite better than others. For example, the Super Nintendo actually has quite decent composite output whereas the Mega Drive has possibly the worst composite output. Interestingly, the white Japanese PC Engine, which only has RF out, still manages to output a really clean video signal. It's the only console that I know of that has great RF out.

I wouldn't recommend retro gaming on anything less than an S-Video cable. Component or RGB are the way to go though, where possible. You'd be surprised at how many retro consoles natively output an RGB signal. All you need is the right cable and a TV with an RGB scart socket. Off the top of my head, some consoles that output an RGB signal without modification are: Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Super Nintendo, Neo Geo AES, Sony Playstation etc. For those that don't, you can either mod them to do so or in some cases an S-Video cable will exist, such is the case with some N64's.

Another option is video encoders but that's another lengthy discussion and I've probably already bored everyone here with this post. :)