Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo/R/RX: Laser Swap & Adjustment Guide  (Read 29658 times)

thesteve

as long as it spin the scope is useful
from left to right
first 2 adjust for max signal
next pot turn CW till the drive stops, then CCW till it starts again
far right about center
edge of board turn CCW till noise starts and CW till it stops

danyetman

I don't mean to be critical, but could  you repeat those instructions using the actual VR10(x) numbers, please?  It's a little hard to figure out your meaning.
Thesteve: Gamer.  Guru.  Electronics nerd.  Savior.  Gentleman.  Jackalope.  Instructor of n00bz.  Champion of Geeks.  Might be half-badger.  Lord of all things NEC.  If you want to fight him, you'll have to defeat him first.  Beware of the knowledge bombs he drops.  They will blow your mind.  And your ass.  To bits.  They'll blow your ass to bits.

thesteve

Pots left to right
102 101 104 105
Edge 103

danyetman

Nope.  No matter what I do, I can't get it reading CDs again.  Even replaced the HOP-M3 laser with a brand new one.  The most I can get it to do is run silently and have it show the 'please wait' text for some minutes before it says 'Data load error'.

I'm washing my hands of this one, and I could really use someone who is experienced and capable to get it back into working order.  I am beyond frustrated - I am actually quite livid at this.
Thesteve: Gamer.  Guru.  Electronics nerd.  Savior.  Gentleman.  Jackalope.  Instructor of n00bz.  Champion of Geeks.  Might be half-badger.  Lord of all things NEC.  If you want to fight him, you'll have to defeat him first.  Beware of the knowledge bombs he drops.  They will blow your mind.  And your ass.  To bits.  They'll blow your ass to bits.

schweaty

Nope.  No matter what I do, I can't get it reading CDs again.  Even replaced the HOP-M3 laser with a brand new one.  The most I can get it to do is run silently and have it show the 'please wait' text for some minutes before it says 'Data load error'.

I'm washing my hands of this one, and I could really use someone who is experienced and capable to get it back into working order.  I am beyond frustrated - I am actually quite livid at this.

i understand... i was in the same boat as you and ended up sending it to thesteve.  he ended up re-flowing the solder on the cd controller chips (something i never would have thought of doing) and it runs great now.  not much help, but an endorsement of thesteve's knowledge and abilities. 

danyetman

Oi vey.  I just spent three hours starting from scratch and teasing my Duo into functionality.  I suppose there's a pretty big upside to the frustration I've gone through - my Duo is now working faster and with less noise and greater reliability than it was previously. 

So that's a plus, I guess.

Fair warning:  I'm going to vent for a bit about NEC.

Goddamn it, NEC!  Why the blood-soaked Protestant Hell did you use f*cking pots on your boards instead of just creating a circuit that did what it was supposed to in the first place?!  Did it really save that much bloody money by using such a back-asswards design?!

Honest-to-God, what the hell were you thinking?!  Did the engineers just collectively say "f*ck reliability" or was your purchasing manager sleeping with the potentiometer sales rep?  I swear before all gods, living or dead, if I EVER find out the name of the guy who gave the go-ahead on such a shitty design, I will hunt him down, stab in the face with a pastry-knife, set him on fire, and piss on his smokey, still-twitching corpse!!!  You hear me, NEC?  f*ck YOU AND ALL YOUR LOUSY-ARSE SHITEFACED ENGINEERS!!!

Rant over.

*sigh*  Just...eugh.  I hope to the Invisible Pink Unicorn that I never have to tweak a Duo back into life again.

robotype

today I had my first experience with a duo recap: black japanese duo with new hop-m3 spins but doesn't read so I replace 4 caps like suggested in doujindance video on youtube, it works but only with one game so I rotate ccw the white pot on the lens assembly and reads more games but I still have some problems with music on some games. should I keep rotating the white pot or maybe start messing with the five small pots on the pcb? after reading this discussion I really do not want to touch those (great thread by the way).

danyetman

BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANY POTS, USE A THIN PERMANENT MARKER TO MARK EACH POT'S ORIENTATION.

The white pot on the lens assembly itself shouldn't be the go-to pot.  VR103 and VR101 will help with your audio issues; sputtering/dropping music is typically a tracking error thing.  Focus on VR103 first.  Make small, and I do mean small, adjustments, and then do something within the game that will cause it to load a new music track.  If the track seems to play fine, then let the new track play a couple of times in a row to make sure.  If it sputters out or disappears, make another small adjustment.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you have a frequency counter or an oscilloscope, attach ground to pin 5 of the P5 connector and touch pin 1 of connector P6 with the lead.  With a CD spinning on the spindle, you should get a reading of 4.3-4.4MHz.  If not, turn VR105 until the reading stays within that range.  Ideally, you want 4.3218MHz, but it's better to have it a little high than it is to have it go under 4.3MHz. 

blueraven

Rant over.
*sigh*  Just...eugh.  I hope to the Invisible Pink Unicorn that I never have to tweak a Duo back into life again.

:lol: Thanks I needed a laugh.

I'll add the part about marking the pots when I update the thread next. Good idea and thanks!
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

robotype

after several hours I could have it working with almost all games, but "kiaidan 00" is the most difficult, music won't work during the game shoild I insist on v101 and v103? I also medded with the white pot on the lens, anyone knows the correct impedance for that one? couldn't measure the frequency yet  but I didn't touch v105 after the recap

thesteve

as a rule dont touch VR105
the other pots depend on the laser assembly, thats why they are pots

danyetman

Okay, thesteve has pretty much un-idioted me, by which I mean to say that he has taught me very quickly how to use my oscilloscope, which is the greatest tool in the history of ever, and which I consider to be invaluable for anyone attempting to tweak their PCE CD system (whatever it may be) back to life.

Seriously, I can't overestimate how immensely powerful even a cheap scope like mine is.

As far as the white lens pot is concerned, most of them should come with a hard epoxy on the pot, locking it in the factory-determined ideal impedance.  That being said, it's okay to have it 'too strong'.  Sure, it'll shorten the lifespan of the laser itself, but better overpowered than underpowered.

VR105, as I've said before, should be clocked at a fairly precise 4.3MHz frequency.  Because the very nature of a waveform is its undulation, you're going to get readings at both the top and the bottom of the waveform, meaning you'll see the frequency go up and down on your meter.  As a rule of thumb, try to get the frequency of VR105 to go NO LOWER than 4.321MHz, which should mean your peak should be at 4.400MHz, or more likely just under.  Again, better a little strong than a little underpowered.  A decent frequency counter (at least 10MHz) shouldn't cost you more than $15 USD on eBay, and is well worth the investment.

VR103 is your go-to pot if you have scratchy sound or sound that drops out.  On all the Duos I've played with, it seems to have a very, very small window of perfect operation - maybe ten degrees or so, but I'm not sure if this is typical, as my sample group is comprised of the four Duos (all PCE) I have ever seen.

If you're starting from scratch on adjusting the pots, thesteve's directions are perfect:

1)  Pull the RF signal from pin 2 on the P5 connector, and ground it on pin 1 of P5.
2)  Set your scope to 2.00V/Div and 1.000us/Div.  Get your readings while your CD system is trying to load the disc.
3)  While the CD attempts to load, use a plastic or other non-metal small Phillips-head screwdriver to turn VR102.  You're trying to get the greatest amplitude (biggest wave) you can.  Once you've found the spot that makes the wave as large as it can be, move on to VR101 and do the exact same thing.
4)  After you've made the biggest wave you can, set your scope trigger to be at the far left of your screen, and about 3/4 of the way up the waveform you're pulling.  Turn VR104 clockwise until the disc stops spinning.  Once this happens, make the smallest turns you can COUNTER-clockwise and wait a few seconds between each turn to see if the disc starts spinning.  Once it does, move on to VR103.
5)  VR103 is kind of the odd pot out - it's incredibly touchy, and it seems to vary on a per-Duo basis how to set it.  Ideally, you want to turn it until your drive is making no real noise - no squeaks, no whines, no chugs or repetitive clicking noises.  It should run almost silently.  You can find your starting point by turning it counter-clockwise until it starts making a faint whine-like noise.  When this happens, turn it CLOCKWISE by a hair, and I do mean 'just a hair'.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that the VR103 pot has a very small window of operation.  Use a game with a soundtest available right off the bat, like Rondo of Blood.  Playtest the first and last tracks while making minute adjustments.  There should be no crackling or audio dropouts at all.  This can take some time, so be patient, and you'll pull through.

thesteve

i set my trigger first
as for the pot on the laser if its too high it causes errors in the focus/tracking circuit
after everything is set adjust the laser pot so your wave is between 0.7Vpp and 1Vpp
it will vary a bit with different media so check it on a few different types of disc if possible

robotype

Thank you for the detailed instructions danyetman and thesteve, I fixed my duo! now it seems to read everything and the music plays fine. BUT I noticed while the music is on the sound effects are very very low. is this a common issue? could it be a cap? if I play hucards I hear the audio just fine.

thesteve

it could be cap related
there is a mixer circuit that uses cap charge to adjust the mix levels