Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo/R/RX: Laser Swap & Adjustment Guide  (Read 29441 times)

mikebrandt

Thanks for your help! I'll check pot value on both old and new lens and adjust the new one a bit lower as you suggest to see if it helps. Can you confirm it should start reading only by messing with VR 101 ? I don't have to touch VR 103 for now?

Mike

Update: got my music CD start playing but after a few seconds,  sound get crunchy and it stops :(  Any hints?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:38:00 AM by mikebrandt »

whitecatangel

hi mike
 the pots adjusting is really time consuming.....I have apent 100+ hours , to feel the actual situation, steve is really helpful. I have fixed one of my duo-r perfectly, Im still working on my s-video moded duo-r, I have gone through stages like you, from nothing , start read  a bit, then end up spin all cd's, make sure it read the last track of cd, or your console wont read game correctly,I think vr 102,vr 105 are the pots you need to focus at
hope this help,
cheers
darren ( die hard pce fans for 25 years)

mikebrandt

Yeah,it is a really long lasting work! I'm gonna try an other "hardcore" session and if it doesn't work, i'll try to do it with my oscilloscope if i happen to find necessary point points on the motherboard. I really want to play my forgotten world again  :lol:

Mike

whitecatangel

there are many version of forgotton world, but we want to play on our pce!! :dance:

mikebrandt

Still no success for now  :-k I ordered an other HOP-M3 module just in case... Steve, if you happen to find points on duo pcb where i could plug my oscilloscope to see what's going on, that would be great!

Cheers,
   Mike

fraggore

Adjusting the Pots:

Advanced Users/Modders only! (unless you really want to risk it...)

Tips: The main issue is breaking a pot, or putting it so out of whack the CD player won't read discs at all. Be very gentle, and go SLOWLY when rotating the screwdriver, trying for just a few degrees (out of 360) at a time. This is 20 year-old technology and electrolytic fluid my have weakened the traces. VR102 is the place to start. Please reference BMW's photo below before proceeding.

What You will need:
1 Multimeter with Resistance (Ohms)
1 #0 Philips-head Screwdriver
1 Ocilloscope (optional)

Regarding the Trim Pots For the Turbo Duo/PCE Duo and taken from this post:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3586.0

These measurement points may help.

VR101 = E/F balance, pin 13 of U101
VR102 = Focus Offset, pin 18 of U101
VR103 = Track Gain (Track error level), pin 45 of U102
VR104 = Focus Gain, pin 48 of U102
VR105 = VCO, pin 30 of U102

Charlie

Also, the Duo-R and DuoRX DO NOT have a vr104 pot.

my DuoRX:

vr101:AB=12.33 AC=10.65 BC=19.55
vr102:AB=7.89 AC=8.11 BC=11.28
vr103:AB=7.25 AC=7.14 BC=18.46
vr105:AB=0.38 AC=0.00 BC=0.38

Thanks to BlueBMW for this troubleshooting/repair link and adjustment photo that is very helpful!!!:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

Also BlueBMW's guide to adjusting the pots by ear, which is brilliant!

Addendum:  Adjusting the pots by ear!

Adjusting your duo's pot can be a daunting task for anyone.  With the high cost of replacement hardware, none of use want to permanently damage our precious Duos!  Here I will try and explain in idiots terms, the adjustment of the Duo pots.

Preliminary setup:

I do my adjustments live.  Meaning I have the system on and hopefully spinning / reading the disc while I do adjustments.  To facilitate this, I remove the magnet from the CD lid (turn the retainer ring until it releases the magnet)  And then I place a piece of tape or whatever over the lid closed switch.  At this point I place an audio CD on the spindle and place the magnet on top of it to hold it in place.

Adjustment:

I use a small philips screwdriver to turn the pots.  If you look closely at them, they have 4 little notches that a screwdriver fits into perfectly.

Once you have a CD in place and everything is ready to go, turn on the system.  If you don't want to connect your Duo to a tv, you can use headphones instead.  Press the run button on the controller.  If the CD starts spinning.... Great!  If not, we'll start with two of the pots:

VR102 and VR104

VR102 has a small range of adjustment in which the CD will start to spin.  If you turn it and the cd starts to spin, then you know you have found one end of the adjustment.  Keep turning it until the CD stops again.  Once you know approximately where those two points are, you can find a sweet spot in the middle.

VR104 seems to be similar to VR102 in that there is a certain range in which the CD will spin.  Again try and find the sweet spot in the middle of the two points of spin/no spin.

By this point, hopefully you have the CD spinning, and maybe even attempting to read!  So lets move on to the next pot/s.....

VR101 and VR103

VR101 is kind of a by ear pot.  There seems to be a small range that works for proper cd playback.  Typically it seems to be in the 0 to 45 degree range with 0 degrees being horizontal.  You should hear some scratchy funny noises when VR101 isn't adjusted properly.  Try and find a quiet spot for it.  If you go too far it will get very noisy.  Hopefully you can find a spot where the CD audio will start to play.

VR103 is, from what I can tell, an error correction adjustment.  Hopefully you have got a CD spinning reliably at this point.  You might hear a whiney faint scratchy noise at this point.... adjust VR103 clockwise until the noise goes away.  If you go too far, the noise will come back only it will be a lower tone and not sound good. :P  Try and find the sweet spot where the laser operates quietly.

VR105

Lastly, VR105....  This is an adjustment for the spindle speed correction.  I'm not 100% on the best way to describe adjusting this one.  Basically if the spindle speed starts to run away (go REALLY fast) then you've gone too far.  Hopefully by this point, your CD will play music.  Try and play later tracks on the CD and if they struggle to play, try adjusting VR105 until you can play all the tracks reliably.

Hopefully this helps, any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks mate for the guide with a little patience i got mine working after a full recap and laser change thanks again.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

thesteve

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo/R/RX: Laser Swap & Adjustment Guide
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »
i may have some sig names wrong, but scope cal DUO-RX
duo p7
pin
1 4.5V square
2 5V square
3 FE VR103
4 TE VR101  (set to min)
5 RF 30mV
6 trk
7 focus

JohnnyPhantom

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »
Hmm, not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but on my Pots, I measured all A-B connections with my multimeter and get the right readings, however nothing else matches (A-C B-C) what am I doing wrong?

thesteve

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »
here is the best info on scope points (I, may revise/add to)
duo p7
pin
1 4.5V square
2 5V square
3 FE VR103
4 TE VR101  (set to min)

DUO P5 (confirmed correct)

2 RF
3 TE
5 ASY
6 GND

King_Vidiot

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
Hey guys, I want to finally get my Turbo Duo working right.  As of now, the duo will play CD games about 30% of the time depending on the game.  Many times it just spins and spins and doesnt load the game.  Does this mean I should definitely replace the laser? Or if I open up the duo could it be just an adjustment issue or something?  

If I do need to replace it, where can I get a replacement laser?  

Thanks

thesteve

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 06:58:21 AM »
for starters, clean the tracks and gears
regrease and retest

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
I thought I would add my two cents on this. After recapping this latest Duo I acquired, I was getting cd audio cut outs, laser whine, etc. Looking over the gears, they did have the tiniest bits of plastic crud built up, which was causing the gears to jam while I was testing. I stripped the gears of all grease, and cleaned the gear teeth with a tooth brush, then re-lubed everything. After all of this I had the nasty whine still, and also, random audio cut outs. I noticed the whine got worse, as did the audio cut outs, the further down the disc the laser had to read. The makes sense, as the laser has to bob and adjust focus more the further down it reads due to disc warping and spin rate adjustments, etc, and not being calibrated right will cause it to lose focus during its eye bobbing up and down.

Unfortunately I don't have a normal pressed music cd that can go the full 80 mins, but I did have a Star Wars Return of the Jedi 2 disc soundtrack set, which happens to have both disc clock in at over 70 mins at least, which I was able to use for helping with adjustments.

Adjustment to any of the pots on the TurboDuo's gave no positive results what so ever. In the end it amounted to me needing to simply adjust the pot on the laser itself. I would play a track or two, if whine persisted, shut down, adjust the pot a tad, turn the unit back on, and test again on the same tracks. No whine, good, no skipping, even better. Move on to the next couple of tracks, rinse and repeat. Eventually I got the whine gone completely from this cd set, and all games mainly except one. It was still present during Image Fight II, especially during the last stage music track, which I would get whine and music cut outs. Due to this, it still needed some slight adjustment still.

Once the laser whine was eliminated from this, it seems everything was about as perfect as can be. No more audio cut outs during the stages music play back (by now it should be no surprise why I beat Image Fight II, I was using it to calibrate the laser, causing me to play the game over and over and over again).  As is, everything seems good to go. I dont play cd-rs on old hardware, so I cant comment on how well they would play back, but so far every cd game I own has been going strong since final adjustments.

Some recommendations I would suggest off hand that I know could be helpful in thorough laser adjustment is the following:
Image Fight II (you can pause the game during gameplay and the music will continue to play, and loop, so it helps to let it sit and loop a track for a good 20-30 mins so you know it can play it without skipping/cutting out)
any pressed music cd that meets or passes the 72 min mark
random games that you can get to play to near the end of the disc music wise (Winds of Thunder/Lords of Thunder is a good candidate for this with its audio tracks being accessible from the option screen and its 19th track being near the end of the disc)

After all of that, its good to just do general gameplay testing. You might run into a oddball game that wasn't pressed as perfect as it could have been, so it might cause a skip or something, making you pop the system back open for a last calibration. The more titles you try out after general calibration, the better off you will be.

Anyway, like I said, just my two cents based on the recent experience. This was not a issue I had run into before with other systems on laser swaps, so, meh, more work and all, but whatever, life goes on.

EDIT: To add to this post, I'd also like to add that after adjusting the lasers pot and eliminating whine, if you are still getting skips past like the 72 min mark on a cd, then I would definitely try slight adjustments to pot VR101. That would be the last thing I would go to adjust focus though, not the first, personally. It also helps to speed things up on your final adjustments if you fast forward through the last 10 mins of the music cd you are using for testing a few times (you may want to alternate between FF'ing through the last 10 mins and also the first 10 mins to make sure its fine tuned on both ends of the spectrum). If still not focusing right, the laser will skip during the fast forward and you will get noise out of the speaker confirming this. You can also set the time counter to total time remaining to help spot the skips easier also just in case. Once you have eliminated these final skips and any laser whine you should be 100 percent set I would think.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:35:57 PM by ProfessorProfessorson »

abraXXious

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »
Hey guys,

this is my first post in this forum, but I thought it might help anyone attempting to get their Duo/Dou R/Dou RX reading audio soundtracks properly.

Recently I replaced the Hop3 laser lens modules in two Pc Engine Duo Rs and a Pc Engine Duo RX. After replacing the lasers I found that games loaded perfectly but that the cd audio sound tracks would either not play at all, or would start playing and cut out abruptly after a random time period (usually between 5 and 30 seconds).

I assumed this was to do with the 5 resistor pots on the Duo R/RX motherboard, so I followed this guide. I tried measuring the resistance values specified but found my units were very different to the values listed - so different in fact that even by turning the pots to their extreme positions would not bring the resistance value anywhere near the listed values.

So, I tried using the "By Ear" approach. The weird thing is that when I tune the pots on all three Pc Engine Duo machines to the quietest settings, nothing will load any more! :)

Luckily I had marked the original positions of the pots with a sharpie pen.

After spending 3 nights playing constantly with the pots etc I was on the verge of giving up when I noticed the resistor pot on the hop 3 laser module itself. I thought, "why not?" I had tried everything else.

The pot had a drop of resin holding it in its original position, so it took a firm grip with a philips screwdrive to move the pot. I moved it about 5 degrees clockwise  - all of a sudden everything was working perfectly - including all audio soundtracks and even CD-Rs.

I replicated this adjustment to the two other Pc Engine Duos - same result!

At firsst I thought the caps on the motherboards were getting sad and so the adjustment on the laser was compensating for the reduced current being provided by the caps, however on close inspection of all 3 motherboards I can safely say there is NO leaking of ANY caps at all, and since they now run absolutely perfectly I can only assume that the replacement lasers are adjusted in a such a way that the Pc Engine does not like.

I just thought I would share this experience with everyone in case anyone else is experiencing the same problems tuning the Pc Engine Duo.

Hope this helps.

thesteve

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »
sadly the lasers are now made by several knock-off manufacturers.
they all set them differently, and mostly wrong.
yours were set too low, but ive gotten them set so high they wouldnt read CDR at all