Author Topic: Neo Geo  (Read 3085 times)

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 07:49:48 PM »
Just buy a Neo Geo MVS (you could have a supergun so it can hook up to your TV and act more like a home console) because the games are so much cheap in MVS form, like you're saving over 50% or more of the price of AES games. Or if you don't mind some killer loading times for the bigger games, Neo Geo CD systems are nice too.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

Neo Geo
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 07:17:38 AM »
Yeah I agree with Keranu, the frog enemies in Sengoku 3 were weak as hell.  Not only were they too short to use any good moves on, but they repeated all the damn time.  The game gives you a large number of cool moves to use, then 50% of the enemies are too small to use them on.  Sengoku 2 was way better with it's different characters and cool levels.

PC Gaijin

Neo Geo
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 09:41:56 PM »
I didn't say the Neo Geo was a fighting games only system. I said that fighters dominated its releases, particularly after the first few years. And frankly of the non-fighting games for the system only a couple were really entertaining to me (Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Sengoku 3, Neo Driftout, Neo Dodgeball). Most of the other non-fighters just weren't any good (IMHO before any NG fans jump on me). A handful of worthwhile games usually isn't enough to convince me to buy a system (although I do have a Supergrafx *cough*).

NeoFreak

Neo Geo
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 03:28:51 PM »
I have a U.S Gold system with s-video and stereo hook-ups. my homecarts are listed on my collection page.

http://www.gamespot.com/user/collection.html?user=NeoFreak330

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

NeoFreak

Neo Geo
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 03:34:30 PM »
I'm also a big sengoku 3 fan, but I havent really given it as much love as I have some of my other homecarts, love that japanese spine!  :shock:

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 01:50:08 AM »
Nice AES collection you have going; how about you just ship Metal Slug 3 over to me, eh?  :arrow:  8)
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 02:21:00 AM »
http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/Lord-C-s-Room-of-Doom/Neo_Geo?full=1
My Neo stuff

I used to have Super Spy but I sold that.

NeoFreak

Neo Geo
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 03:40:57 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Nice AES collection you have going; how about you just ship Metal Slug 3 over to me, eh?  :arrow:  8)

thats an original release "gold warning sticker" ms3 too.

my baby.

a pic of my collection from about 4 years ago.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 05:30:28 PM »
Haha that "POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS" line is perfect!

TJ

Neo Geo
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 03:20:47 PM »
I gots me all 3! :D Here's my SNK collection (all US stuff unless noted):

Neo-Geo AES w/2 sticks + 1 memory card
Alpha Mission II
Baseball Stars Professional
CyberLip
Fatal Fury Special (JP)
Fire Suplex
Nam 1975
Ninja Combat
Riding Hero
Samurai Shodown
Sengoku
Tengai Makyou Shin Den (JP; aka Kabuki Klash)

Neo-Geo MVS 1-slot cabinet (conversion, w/my own custom-built control panel)
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown II
Bust-A-Move
Blazing Star

Neo-Geo Pocket Color, Stone Blue
Big Bang Pro Wrestling (JP)
Biomotor Unitron
Card Fighters Clash - Capcom Version
Match of the Millennium
Metal Slug 1st Mission
Metal Slug 2nd Mission (EU)
Puzzle Tsugete Pon! (JP)
Samurai Shodown! 2
Rockman Battle & Fighters (JP)
Pac-Man
Faselei! (EU)
Cotton (JP)
Bust-A-Move Pocket

I really like a lot of the first-generation NG games like Nam 1975, Riding Hero, and Cyberlip...I have warm fuzzy memories of renting the AES from a local game shop and losing my damn mind over how cool they were in 1991. =) And I know, I need to work on my MVS library -- I don't have any Metal Slugs or Last Blades or Garou or nothin'!

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 07:34:05 PM »
Wow, I haven't talked to anyone who has actually rented Neo Geo games. How much did it cost to rent them? Like $50 bucks, haha?

My NGPC collection (in order of purchase):

Baseball Stars Color
Biomotor Unitron
King of Fighters R2 (Absolultely amazing how close it is to '98 in ways.)
Sonic Pocket Adventure
SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millenium
Card Fighters Clash (SNK version)

Not so many games, but I mainly collected these when I was younger and it was harder to get money then. I should get some more games because NGPC rocks so hard!

TJ

Neo Geo
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 06:49:38 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Wow, I haven't talked to anyone who has actually rented Neo Geo games. How much did it cost to rent them? Like $50 bucks, haha?

heh...nah...If I recall, I think this place charged like 10 bucks a night for the system and 5 bucks per game, or something average like that. I remember being super excited to go pick it up cuz I reserved the system as soon as the last person was done with it, and I think I got it for 2 or 3 nights along with Nam and Riding Hero, and played it well into the wee hours each night.

It was a pretty cool little hole-in-the-wall rental store, I think it was just called The Game Shop and it was locally owned. Had a great selection of NES, Genesis and Turbo games, maybe 5 Neo Geo games, and you could rent all those systems too of course, and they even had a Super Famicom and the first batch of launch games (Super Mario World, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Actraiser, and Bombuzal) before the SNES came out in America. I used to hang out at that shop a LOT, and got to know the guys that worked there. I think I applied for a job there too, but the owner, who never actually came there, thought I was just some punk-ass gamer geek kid who loitered there all day (which I mostly was), and didn't realize I probably kept that place in business longer than it would've without my support =D

Is it weird to get nostalgic over a game rental shop from 15 years ago?

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »
That video rental store sounds awesome! I love video rental stores rent movies all the time from four different stores. Video stores out here in Illinois are pretty awesome from what I know because the prices for rentals out here can be much cheaper than other states. The usual deal out here is $1 for two non-new released videos. Some video stores also have a great selection, but now one of my favorite video stores is constantly getting rid of their older movies and obtaining more newer ones, which is totally sucks. There was this video store when I was a kid growing up called "Video Circle" and that place was totally rad until it shut down.

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 01:55:12 AM »
From what I heard Neo Geo systems were ONLY for rental back then.

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 10:47:03 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
From what I heard Neo Geo systems were ONLY for rental back then.
They were selling Neo Geo in JC Penney (department store) back in the day (this was Willowbrook Mall, NJ). First they had Magician Lord as a demo. Then, later, it was Baseball Stars.  The A/V dept. was on the second floor, and was "dead", so my brothers and I would be able to play for 2 hours without worrying about anyone bothering us (besides the salesman... he would say something every 1/2 hour or so).
Eventually, some other kids discovered JC Penney's Neo Geo and it got a little more crowded... but everyone seemed to abide by an unwritten "code" to keep the existence of the Neo Geo a secret.

anyway, it was much cheaper than going to the arcade, which was downstairs and always crowded.
  |    |