Author Topic: Neo Geo  (Read 3205 times)

PC Gaijin

Neo Geo
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2005, 09:54:36 AM »
Quote from: "TJ"

I dunno how old you are (if you were 16 in '91, we're about the same age) but at age 31, I consider myself part of the Atari generation (as opposed to those who grew up on the NES, or SNES, etc) and I remember around 1980 or 81, before I finally got a 2600 in '82, going to Sears with my dad and playing the Atari VCS and the Intellivision (or rather, the Sears Video Arcade and Sears Super Video Arcade). I think Combat was on the 26 and I know Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack was on the INTV. I also remember almost literally drooling over the old Sears and JC Penney xmas catalogs, with their pages upon pages upon pages of Atari and Intellivision games...screenshots for every single game!

I'm creeping up on 31 (a few more months). And yes, I consider myself part of the Atari generation rather than the NES. I well remember the real golden age of the arcades (not the fighting game craze of the 90s, but the good stuff from the early 80s), Pac-Man Fever, video game cartoons on Saturday morning TV and all that jazz. I scratch my head whenever people complain about the "mainstreaming" of video games as if that was a recent trend. Video games were HUGE in the early 80s, I think they may have penetrated the mass market even more than today. I mean c'mon you had a silly song about Pac-Man breaking into the top 10, Pac-Man cereal, and everyone I knew (even adults) were crazy about arcades and home consoles.

However, I don't really remember anything other than Atari when it came to home consoles. I didn't "discover" Intellivision until around 1988 when a buddy bought one at a flea market, and we played Sea Battle just for laughs between bouts of Simon's Quest and Double Dragon on the NES. The 2600 was huge though, all my friends had one. My parents wouldn't relent on buying me a "game machine" though, so I had to make do with an antiquated Pong machine that was a hand-me-down from my cousins. Then home computers came along and my parents finally gave up and bought me an Atari 800 in 1983. Of course, the 800 was really a souped up 5200 (or rather, the 5200 was a cut-down 800 8)) and I had many good times playing games on it. I actually used that computer for games, programming, and word processing all the way up to 1990 when the keyboard finally failed and I made the switch to a PC-compatible. I don't remember the 5200 being all that popular either; I only knew one kid that had one, but I recall being really impressed by the 5200 version of Pac-Man (partly because the 2600 port was so bad). One of my cousins had a Colecovision, but the only game he ever had was Donkey Kong Jr. And I vividly remember "the crash" if only for the huge bins packed with 25 cent cartridges that sat outside of KB Toys until literally 1985 or 86! The funny thing is that KB never sold all those carts, and in the late 80s when video games picked up again they started selling the old 2600 and 5200 carts again. The crazy thing is that they marked them back up to like $8-10. I remember peeling off a price sticker and seeing the old marked down 25 cent sticker underneath :D.

Sears rocked for video games, I'm surprised your store wasn't the same steve666. The one we used to go to had a huge video game section during the Atari era, then it switched over to home computers (mainly the Commodore 64) in the mid-80s before going back to video games with the NES in the late 80s. Montgomery Wards also used to sell lots of video games; that's actually where I got my Atari 800 computer, and I have distinct memories of playing Ghouls N Ghosts on their demo Genesis, plus buying a few Turbo games like Sidearms there. So add Montgomery Wards to the list of retailers that used to sell Turbo stuff, they had a special electronics/video game section with its own name (like a store-within-a-store) but I can't remember what they were called.

Michael Helgeson

Neo Geo
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2005, 04:22:00 AM »
Yea I started playing on the 2600 in late 1980 when I was 3.They tried when I was just barly past 2,but taht didnt work out so well.I remember Combat mostly,and my sister beating me silly.But by the time I was 5 I could win and hold my own on it,and I played Pac Man,and Astroids alot.
In the arcades I played Mario Bros,Kangaroo,Donkey Kong,some firetruck game that had this huge sitdown cab and 2 people could play,cant remember the name,and Zaxxon.I later moved on to Gyrus,Super Mario Bros.,and so many more.One of my fav Atari arcade games of all time was Road Blasters,and I still play it when I see one running.

TJ

Neo Geo
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2005, 04:41:12 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
In the arcades I played...some firetruck game that had this huge sitdown cab and 2 people could play,cant remember the name

That's so funny you should mention that, because as far as I can remember, that was the very first videogame I ever played in an arcade! And I know the name of it. Are you ready? The name of the firetruck game is...

Fire Truck. =)

It was by Atari and one player steered while the other moved the ladder.

Yay Fire Truck! :D

RCduck7

Neo Geo
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2005, 04:57:28 AM »
Quote from: "Michael Helgeson"
Yea I started playing on the 2600 in late 1980 when I was 3.They tried when I was just barly past 2,but taht didnt work out so well.I remember Combat mostly,and my sister beating me silly.But by the time I was 5 I could win and hold my own on it,and I played Pac Man,and Astroids alot.
In the arcades I played Mario Bros,Kangaroo,Donkey Kong,some firetruck game that had this huge sitdown cab and 2 people could play,cant remember the name,and Zaxxon.I later moved on to Gyrus,Super Mario Bros.,and so many more.One of my fav Atari arcade games of all time was Road Blasters,and I still play it when I see one running.

Hi, i'm from Belgium.
I moved on from a pong console to the atari 2600 to amstrad cpc but things got going when i got my sega master system with alex kidd in miracle world.
I could devote many pages and pages of memories but i don't feel the need to as i did that many times on other forums...
But for now i wanna say that my strongest memories come from the arcades, it felt always great entering one and checking the games.
As far as i can remember Xevious is my first memory in a pub.
I didn't knew what the title was called back then i played but now i know it was xevious i played.
Funny how some memories are vividly remembered.
At that time and many years after that i always looked up to the arcades and crossed my fingers on how the console port of certain games might be.
Now we don't do that any more.
If i would wish for something in the games industry it is that the arcades would be back in business again.  :wink:
don't be human... be peacefull

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2005, 07:39:48 AM »
That Fire Truck game is awesome! I've played it on MAME before and it uses the trackball, so I just use my mouse. I'd love to play the actual cabinet because it's a fun game.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

Neo Geo
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 07:40:14 PM »
Been a fan of the NeoGeo ever since 1990 when it hit the arcades.

Afther i played Magician Lord i was hooked on it like drugs.

For the rest of the 90's i just played ports since the... arcades here gave up on the NeoGeo afther 94 :evil:

Still in the end it didn't stop me from getting my own set up.

When i found out how the used market was for the, NeoGeo afther the 90's ended. I figure now is the time since the "used market" wasn't bad on prices.

I started with a AES at frist but in the end it was still too pricey for me.

So when i found out MVS could be played at home without buying a cab.I just settle for a, consolized set up i wasn't in the mood to mess with a supergun either all those wires :P

So far my (NeoGeo MVS consolized 2 slot) is keeping me a happy gamer :D

What's great about MVS games are dirt cheap compared to AES 8)

Btw i don't wanna 'hear why didn't you settle for some Neo emulation.I'm sorry in my book... nothing beats the real deal :wink:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

Neo Geo
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 08:06:36 PM »
Quote from: "Blasta_Mazta"
i remembger when neo geo games were out in the arcades back in the day. the games blew everyone away. every kid wanted a neo geo console but the general feeling was the price was far too high.

I know what ya mean... who didn't want one afther playing it in the arcades.

Back then it was either Genesis,TG16 or a SNES.

I remember back then i chose the (TG16 plus the TurboCD) since i wanted to 'experince cd games again realy bad. Afther playing, MonsterLair and Valis II in a rental store.

Still the times have change at least getting a, NeoGeo these days doesn't cost a fortune :D

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »
I really want to get a MVS cab some day, but I'll probably end up getting the board and a Super Gun because of space reasons, even though I prefer the cab.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

Neo Geo
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2005, 12:45:42 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I really want to get a MVS cab some day, but I'll probably end up getting the board and a Super Gun because of space reasons, even though I prefer the cab.

If your worry about space there are smaller, MVS cabs like this one :D

Neo-29 also know as a candy cab.

Then there's this one for wich i wouldn't mind having either :wink:

Neo-19

Note: pictures curiosity of neo-geo.com :D

I doubt i'll stick with my, consolized mvs set up forever.If and when i ...move next year and if space isn't a issue.Then i'll probably sell my, MVS and look into getting a cab like the Neo-19 :wink:

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »
Where do you get those Candy Cabs anyway? I always wanted one. Fits in my room perfectly.

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2005, 10:58:55 AM »
I know of those Candy cabs, but I was planning on getting an All-American MVS cab since I prefer the American arcade style  8) .

khyrox

Neo Geo
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2005, 11:31:54 AM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Quote from: "TJ"

However, I don't really remember anything other than Atari when it came to home consoles. I didn't "discover" Intellivision until around 1988 when a buddy bought one at a flea market, and we played Sea Battle just for laughs between bouts of Simon's Quest and Double Dragon on the NES. The 2600 was huge though, all my friends had one...

...And I vividly remember "the crash" if only for the huge bins packed with 25 cent cartridges that sat outside of KB Toys until literally 1985 or 86!

All my friends had a 2600... I think I was the only one to have a Colecovision. I remember their jaws dropping when I showed them Donkey Kong...  :lol:

I remember going thru the bins of 25 cent carts at Kay Bee Toys (it wasn't called 'KB' back then  :P ) too!!

My Coleco is buried somewhere in my basement... I should dust that thing off and see if it still works... haha

TR0N

Neo Geo
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2005, 01:30:16 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I know of those Candy cabs, but I was planning on getting an All-American MVS cab since I prefer the American arcade style  8) .

Well there all ways the red mini cab then.

Unless you got big hands and don't like a 13 inch screen, then i wouldn't recomend it.

Heck the red mini cab was made with kids in mind.

Still nothing wrong with a supergun of corse if you just want to play, NeoGeo games and your not worry about. Playing other, jamma pcbs a consolized set up isn't bad either.

pixeljunkie

Neo Geo
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2005, 03:36:31 AM »
I got a couple candy cabs and a 1-slot mobo with a pause button wired into my Neo Candy :) and 30+ MVS carts. Plus a Hyper Neo with all 4 fighters.

Recently got Bloody Wolf [original arcade version] since I loved the turbo version so much.

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2005, 03:56:39 AM »
Quote from: "pixeljunkie"
Recently got Bloody Wolf [original arcade version] since I loved the turbo version so much.
So, how is the arcade version? I had never seen it in the arcades, or if I did, I didn't play it.
  |    |