Author Topic: Neo Geo  (Read 3175 times)

PC Gaijin

Neo Geo
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »
Is it weird to get nostalgic over a game rental shop from 15 years ago?

Nope. I have similar feelings about the place I used to rent all my Turbo and Genesis games from during 89-92 :D. I grew up near a "college town" and there was this little rental shop that rented out videogames and (surprise) PC software. Now the PC software rental always struck me as being a bit shady (I always got a "yeah, 'rent' this software and hey if you happen to keep the program on your PC after returning your rental well we can't do anything about that wink wink" vibe from the place), but this store was the only place I knew of that rented Turbo software. Whoever ran the place must have been a fan of "unpopular" systems because besides the Turbo they rented out Sega Master System games and didn't start offering NES games until around 1990. They had all the Turbo games too (including CD games), which is partly why my collection of Turbo games was very small until around 91 when the prices on Turbo games via mail-order started to plummet. They also rented out systems. I rented the Turbo CD unit and Ys several months before I was able to buy one. Prices were reasonable too, I think it used to cost $1.50 for five days (inflation counts for something, but still I think the last time I rented a game at Blockbuster it was around $5-6).

I miss that place. I last saw it open around 1997 but don't know what happened to it (probably couldn't compete against the likes of BB and Hollywood Video, which is kind of sad).

And that story about JC Penneys reminds of my own experience with a demo Turbo at Penneys in the fall of '89 :) Usually, the only game they ever had in it was World Class Baseball, but hey I happened to like baseball and that game so I played it whenever I visited the mall. And as stevek666 described hardly anyone ever played it so I usually had the system to myself. They only time I ever saw anyone else playing it was a guy in his 50s struggling to figure out how to use the control pad :lol: I showed him how to use it and we played a game of World Class Baseball. Good times, heh.

That reminds me, anyone notice that NEC had pretty good distribution for the Turbo early on? Besides Penneys I also remember the Turbo being sold at Sears, and I bought my Turbo from Wal-Mart. However, the Wal-Mart in my area dropped the Turbo after the fall of 89, and the system in general seemed to disappear from most retail outlets except for places like Babbages and Toys R Us. I guess most retailers saw the writing on the wall fairly quickly.

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »
Ahhh, great stuff you wrote there. Back in the day, I would never have believed that you could rent Turbo games anywhere. I love hearing about it. One of my favorite mom-n-pop video rental places did have a great library of SMS games, though.

I've never heard of any Turbo-related stuff being sold at:
Wal-Mart
Sears

.. so that is interesting to hear. I've never witnessed it, but folks have reported that Radio Shack also carried TG-16. Of course, it must have varied from store-to-store, because used to go to Radio Shack frequently and my locations were lame.
  |    | 

PC Gaijin

Neo Geo
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2005, 06:16:05 AM »
Yeah, the fact that this small city (I think the population at the time was around 100k or less) had a rental store that carried Turbografx games was kind of surprising. As I said I think whoever ran the store must have been a fan of the Master System and Turbo because they had almost complete libraries for both systems.

Also, I get a lot "huh? Wal-Mart sold Turbografx-16? Are you sure?" whenever I post about buying one there. Yep, that's where I got my Turbo in October 1989. I grew up in a small rural town (less than 5k population) in the middle of nowhere, so I am thinking Wal-Mart must have carried the Turbo line nationally for at least the fall of 89. The store where I got the Turbo only had about a half dozen game titles though. Oddly enough, they also had a single Turbo CD unit for sale (but no CD games!). They had 6 Turbografx-16 units, of which only one was sold that entire fall (to me :?). That's probably a good indicator of why they dropped the Turbo line pretty quickly :cry:.

And Sears definitely carried the Turbo, I have an old Sears catalog around here somewhere with the Turbo in it. Speaking of Sears I went there recently to buy a window A/C unit and damn have they fallen on hard times. I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s that was THE place to go for almost everything, including video games.

Here's another memory for you: in the summer of 91 I started working at that same Wal-Mart where I got my Turbo. I ended up in the electronics department and was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the SNES. The first shipment finally came the first week of September, but I was broke at the time (ah, to be 16 again and have a junky jalopy always needing repairs). Anyway, waiting another week for my next paycheck was torture but when I finally got that system home and heard the reverb effects while underground riding on Yoshi in SMW...beautiful :lol:. The next year (up until the summer of 92 and the release of Street Fighter II) was 16-bit heaven for me. I bought almost every SNES game as soon as it came out and also bought a large chunk of the Turbo library as mail order houses cleared out their inventory. Almost every penny I earned went into video games. Unfortunately, after Street Fighter II brought on a deluge of (IMHO) generic fighting games my interest in video games waned. Not to mention other concerns (like college) started occupying more and more of my attention, so I kind of missed out on the latter half of the 16-bit era (the big rivalry between SNES and Genesis). A lot of people look back on those days as the golden age, but to me the best era was early 16-bit (from the introduction of the Turbo and Genesis to until just after the SNES came out).

GUTS

Neo Geo
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2005, 06:34:50 AM »
There was a kickass little rental store here when I was a kid that rented Turbo & Master System games.  In fact I remember them only renting Splatterhouse to me because my dad was with me when I rented it, it was the first game I'd ever seen with a warning label on it.  I miss that place, all the big places put them out of business (although I can't complain TOO much since hollywood video was the only place in town that rented Sega CD games).

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2005, 07:04:21 AM »
Oh snap I remember always going in sears and Toys R Us just to play the Sega Genesis jukebox.

Keranu

Neo Geo
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2005, 11:57:58 AM »
Nice stories, PC Gaijin! Also there was this guy I talked to online from Canada who said he would go into Radioshack just to play Bonk's Revenge on their TG-16 set up. My brother always said how he say a Turbo Duo display a Toys R Us and always remembered it having some anime style to it or something. When he saw the box of my Turbo Duo, he started to remember things better. He also got to check out the CD-I that was hooked up on our Magnavox TV when we bought it back in the early 90's.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TJ

Neo Geo
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2005, 04:00:23 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Speaking of Sears ... I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s that was THE place to go for almost everything, including video games.

I dunno how old you are (if you were 16 in '91, we're about the same age) but at age 31, I consider myself part of the Atari generation (as opposed to those who grew up on the NES, or SNES, etc) and I remember around 1980 or 81, before I finally got a 2600 in '82, going to Sears with my dad and playing the Atari VCS and the Intellivision (or rather, the Sears Video Arcade and Sears Super Video Arcade). I think Combat was on the 26 and I know Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack was on the INTV. I also remember almost literally drooling over the old Sears and JC Penney xmas catalogs, with their pages upon pages upon pages of Atari and Intellivision games...screenshots for every single game!

I also remember a small shop in the Valley Fair Mall here in Appleton, WI (point of trivia: the Valley Fair Mall here in Appleton, WI was the very first indoor mall in the country!) called Video Exchange, which was probably the earliest place I knew of that had these weird things called "videocassettes" with movies on them. They also sold videogames of course, and I know I saw NFL Football played on the INTV there, and my parents bought 2600 Pac-Man there for, I think, 25 bucks. I recall looking at their display case of Atari games and seeing Indy 500 with the driving controllers and thinking that $45 was an outrageous price for a videogame.

Also, your story about the SNES echoes mine pretty closely. I remember that Toys R Us was the first place to sell it, like a week before the scheduled launch date. I had it all planned out, to buy it on the release date with my paycheck that I would have gotten two days earlier from my crappy Burger King job, but the Sunday prior to that expected date was a full-page TRU ad in the newspaper that shouted SUPER NINTENDO IS HERE! In a panic, I had to borrow 250 bucks from my dad (my enabler again, it seems) to get the SNES and F-Zero on the release day. I was in line at 10 am and got the second one out the door. Like you, all my income went to SNES games, as I bought all the major releases right on their first sale date -- Actraiser, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Final Fight...and I remember saving up 80 BUCKS (yes, 80 bucks, do you remember that bullsh*t?) for Street Fighter II, and playing it so much that it actually did make it worth 80 bucks for me.

Which leads me into a story about the SF2 tournament I almost won and the greatest SF2 match I ever had, or have ever seen, in my life...but I'll save that one for another time =)

KingDrool

Neo Geo
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2005, 02:11:28 AM »
We also had a local rental shop that rented Turbo games.  Although I think myself and about two other people were the only ones who rented the games.  I used to rent games from there all the time: Blazing Lasers, Bonk, Splatterhouse, Drop Off, etc.  and then go out and buy them if I liked them.

Even better?  In about 1998 they went out of business and I bought their entire Turbografx collection (about 20 games) for $4 each.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2005, 10:43:10 AM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
We also had a local rental shop that rented Turbo games.  Although I think myself and about two other people were the only ones who rented the games.  I used to rent games from there all the time: Blazing Lasers, Bonk, Splatterhouse, Drop Off, etc.  and then go out and buy them if I liked them.

Even better?  In about 1998 they went out of business and I bought their entire Turbografx collection (about 20 games) for $4 each.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man. Goddamn. :)
  |    | 

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2005, 10:51:33 AM »
Quote from: "TJ"
Speaking of Sears ... I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s that was THE place to go for almost everything, including video games.

I dunno how old you are (if you were 16 in '91, we're about the same age) but at age 31, I consider myself part of the Atari generation (as opposed to those who grew up on the NES, or SNES, etc) and I remember around 1980 or 81, before I finally got a 2600 in '82, going to Sears with my dad and playing the Atari VCS and the Intellivision (or rather, the Sears Video Arcade and Sears Super Video Arcade). ...
Wow, it seems that I missed out on the Sears stuff. The Sears locations we went to never really catered to video gamers, from what I remember, although I loved playing with the stereos in the A/V dept. as a kid.

Thanks for all the other info as well, it was fun to read. Especially about the first indoor mall!  I live in Lakewood, CA -- and our town, too, is actually built around one of the earliest indoor malls in the U.S. (or is it CA?, I can't remember). Yes, that was the concept: make the mall the center of the town! This concept had previously failed in other parts of the country, but it worked here.
  |    | 

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2005, 11:01:21 AM »
Yeah, the fact that this small city (I think the population at the time was around 100k or less) had a rental store that carried Turbografx games was kind of surprising. As I said I think whoever ran the store must have been a fan of the Master System and Turbo because they had almost complete libraries for both systems.... A lot of people look back on those days as the golden age, but to me the best era was early 16-bit (from the introduction of the Turbo and Genesis to until just after the SNES came out).
Rock on. This is the type of information I've been curious about for a long time. It really helps put the marketing of the TG-16 in context... I honestly did not know that TG-16 was sold by so many different retailers until some recent threads on this topic. :)
  |    | 

esteban

Neo Geo
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 11:03:08 AM »
Also, I get a lot "huh? Wal-Mart sold Turbografx-16? Are you sure?" whenever I post about buying one there. Yep, that's where I got my Turbo in October 1989. I grew up in a small rural town (less than 5k population) in the middle of nowhere, so I am thinking Wal-Mart must have carried the Turbo line nationally for at least the fall of 89. The store where I got the Turbo only had about a half dozen game titles though. Oddly enough, they also had a single Turbo CD unit for sale (but no CD games!). They had 6 Turbografx-16 units, of which only one was sold that entire fall (to me :?). That's probably a good indicator of why they dropped the Turbo line pretty quickly :cry:.

And Sears definitely carried the Turbo, I have an old Sears catalog around here somewhere with the Turbo in it. Speaking of Sears I went there recently to buy a window A/C unit and damn have they fallen on hard times. I remember as a kid growing up in the 80s that was THE place to go for almost everything, including video games.
Rock on. This is the type of information I've been curious about for a long time. It really helps put the marketing of the TG-16 in context... I honestly did not know that TG-16 was sold by so many different retailers until some recent threads on this topic. :)
  |    | 

Blasta_Mazta

Neo Geo
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2005, 10:47:03 AM »
i remembger when neo geo games were out in the arcades back in the day. the games blew everyone away. every kid wanted a neo geo console but the general feeling was the price was far too high.

rolins

Neo Geo
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2005, 11:56:59 AM »
I remember drouling at Neo Geo ads in a Gamepro magazines back in '92. It is the cadillac of video game console. I still want a Neo Geo AES to this day, but the investment is too rich for me. My favorite NG games were Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, KOF98, Last Blade, Samurai Showdown 2, Pulstar, and Garou MOTW.

Ninja Spirit

Neo Geo
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
Persistence. That's what got me a Neo Geo system with Samurai Shodown 1 and 2 and Fatal Fury Special for 200 bucks.