Author Topic: Wonderboy Series  (Read 11839 times)

meka

Re: Wonderboy Series
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »
The turbografx version may be technically superior and have smoother scrolling. but that does not make it better, it's like saying that PS3 games are better than every other game on every other console and the original  is faultless, and I don't like the alterations they made to the characters, they just don't look right.

kazekirifx

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
I'm thankful for the existence of the PCE version. Otherwise, few Japanese gamers would have ever experienced this gem of gaming at all.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
kazekirifx I agree Wonderboy 3 The Dragon's Trap on SMS is by far the best game I've ever played on any platform

Yeah, it's really a gem! I've been playing through it this week (never had it as a kid) and am enjoying every second of it. One of the best 8-bit games period.

Fact: if it had been out on the NES instead of SMS (and PC Engine) it would be just as famous/popular as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. 

city41

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
The Dragon's Trap is an incredible game. It got almost everything juuuuuuuust right. It's not too long, not too short, never gets tedious, always fresh, has clever world/level layouts, etc etc. It's just damn damn good.

meka

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
Kazekirfx thats good that you could play it, I don't care to think on all the 8-bit Japanese RPG's that were not translated into English because the game companies thought that they were of no interest to western countries.

Mathius

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
The turbografx version may be technically superior and have smoother scrolling. but that does not make it better, it's like saying that PS3 games are better than every other game on every other console and the original  is faultless, and I don't like the alterations they made to the characters, they just don't look right.

I spent so much time with the Turbo version that when I went back to play the SMS version the scrolling became really distracting. Don't get me wrong I love both still. The Turbo version gets most of the attention by me nowadays.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

kazekirifx

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
Fact: if it had been out on the NES instead of SMS (and PC Engine) it would be just as famous/popular as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. 

So true.

My first experience with SMS was when I was a kid and I had an NES, and my younger brother got an SMS. I'm not proud of it now, but I made fun of the SMS because "it wasn't as good as Nintendo". My main reason was just because SMS didn't have games like Mega Man, Contra, etc. But Wonder Boy III was really the game that challenged my ideas about the system. In fact, being the older brother, I quickly commandeered the system and started playing Wonder Boy III a lot as soon as my brother borrowed it from a friend.

(P.S. I'm glad I'm on good game playing terms with my brothers now as an adult. :) )

Black Tiger

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 05:19:05 AM »

It plays better thanks to the smoother scrolling. A faithful 60fps PS3 port of an old choppy 3D game would be better as an actual game as well. Unfortunately, the original isn't faultless, as it doesn't run at 60fps and doesn't allow saving. The Turbo/PCE version runs at 60fps, supports saving, has better sound and the characters both changed and unchanged have better graphics. The rest of the graphics that people think are the same at a glance are also slightly better.

The one way that the SMS version crushes the Turbo/PCE version is the omission of the maxed charm bonus content in the Turbo/PCE version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 03:33:33 AM »

It plays better thanks to the smoother scrolling. A faithful 60fps PS3 port of an old choppy 3D game would be better as an actual game as well. Unfortunately, the original isn't faultless, as it doesn't run at 60fps and doesn't allow saving. The Turbo/PCE version runs at 60fps, supports saving, has better sound and the characters both changed and unchanged have better graphics. The rest of the graphics that people think are the same at a glance are also slightly better.

The one way that the SMS version crushes the Turbo/PCE version is the omission of the maxed charm bonus content in the Turbo/PCE version.

Yes, yes and yes.

First off: I friggin' love the SMS version (just as I love SMS Ys), but, for both games, the PCE versions are superior.

I used to think the aesthetics of the PCE version was essentially the same as the SMS game...but a few years ago, when awack started the screenshot comparison thread, I realized that a critical eye reveals all the nuances.

With Wonderboy, I can't help but feel the PCE versions are a *tad* more polished and tweaked (controls and aesthetics).

In my old age, and limited time to play, I must admit that I appreciate the ability to save my progress. Super Pitfall (NES), for example, is a time commitment if I want to beat it (as you know, there are tricky parts that I forget about...my aging brain slowly remembering the best tactics to employ, etc.)

|    | 

esteban

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 03:38:19 AM »
* No, I've never beaten Super Pitfall. Well, I don't think I have. I know I dreamed about beating it...but I've come so damn close.

Back on topic: I think we should be delighted that the Wonderboy games have very nice ports /spin-offs in general.
  |    | 

glazball

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
  What I'm wondering is, (in the US) why did Monster Lair and Dynastic Hero get a CD release and Dragon's Curse not?
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Kaijuboy

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
  What I'm wondering is, (in the US) why did Monster Lair and Dynastic Hero get a CD release and Dragon's Curse not?

Was there ever a CD release for the PC Engine?

Mathius

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Dragon's Curse would have made an interesting CD-ROM title. Cutscenes and redbook would have improved an already great game. Though I still love the chiptunes.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Black Tiger

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »

Was there ever a CD release for the PC Engine?

Nope.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

kazekirifx

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Oh. That would have been great. Another PCE CD game that doesn't really need to be on a CD-ROM.  :wink: