Author Topic: WANTED: pc-engine GT  (Read 694 times)

rolins

WANTED: pc-engine GT
« on: August 29, 2005, 05:25:29 AM »
Any one willing to sell me a PC-Engine GT?

I don't mind if there is no box or manual, or if there is "little sound". Just looking for one that is in good shape. No scratches on the screen, still has battery cover, no dead pixels, and can hear audio thru headphone port.

I've checked ebay, but I really don't trust any of the sellers who are selling them. One seller in particular is loongsfj. He is selling a Turbo Express with 2 japanese hucards. I sent him an email and asked him if this Turbo Express has been modified to play japanese hucards. The seller told me it was never modified, but plays them anyway. I'm thinking he is lying and has never tested it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-PC-ENGINE-GT-Turbo-Express-GRAFX-16-2-game-SF_W0QQitemZ8215428242QQcategoryZ187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 11:47:21 AM »
I don't see how that is possible if it's not modded or doesn't include a converter, but that would be DAMN interesting if it was for sure to be true.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 11:48:27 AM »
By the way, I just looked at the location of the item and it's from Hong Kong, so now the chances of that being true are like .10%
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 07:49:23 PM »
There ain't no way Japanese HuCards could play in a TurboExpress... which means he probably hasn't been able to test it, as you said. Hmmmm....
  |    | 

rolins

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 04:21:30 AM »
Auction has ended for this item and someone actually bought it. I looked at the buyer's recent purchases off ebay, and none of the stuff he's bought is PCE or TG16 related. Seems more of a fan of Star Wars and Sega. I think this buyer has no idea the TE doesn't play japanese hucards. I want to send the buyer a message, but I can't help think if maybe the TE really does play japanese hucards. Well, if he leaves Neg. feedback to the seller then TE doesn't play imports, and the seller is incompetent for giving misleading information.

esteban

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 10:25:18 AM »
hey, don't worry: at $100 + $33 shipping, you're better off with another seller... or even getting a new one from www.tzd.com ($180).

The two loose HuCards are very common and not worth much at all (a few dollars, total).

I wouldn't think twice about this auction. :)
  |    | 

rolins

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 04:35:21 AM »
I recently bought a PC-Engine GT, when I first turned it on I was amazed how crisp and bright it was. Playing Soldier Blade was simply incredible. The audio from the speaker was low, but I could still hear sound thru the headphone port. After about a minute of playing I noticed the screen getting dark and then darker. I tried to increase the brightness but it didn't do anything. I had thought the cold cathode fluorescent burned out, so I turned it off and waited a few minutes. I turn the GT on and it was normal again, but after a mintue the screen went dark. I turned off the GT again and sent a message to D-Lite and asked him if he could fix it. That was 4 days ago and no word from him. Yesterday I decide to use the GT one more time. I put in fresh batteries and the screen was still dark, but this time after 3 minutes the GT unexpectedly turned off. I tried to turn it on again several times, but it was too late. It died. :cry:

The PC-Engine GT had a near-perfect screen and I plan to reuse the casing. Does anyone have a GT in "cosmetically" ugly condition?

Note:
GT must work. It must not have dead pixels and must be able to hear sound thru headphone port.

I do not care if the screen is scratched or has unsightly blemishes on the casing.

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 09:17:01 AM »
Well that sucks.

MotherGunner

Re: WANTED: pc-engine GT
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
Any one willing to sell me a PC-Engine GT?

I don't mind if there is no box or manual, or if there is "little sound". Just looking for one that is in good shape. No scratches on the screen, still has battery cover, no dead pixels, and can hear audio thru headphone port.

I've checked ebay, but I really don't trust any of the sellers who are selling them. One seller in particular is loongsfj. He is selling a Turbo Express with 2 japanese hucards. I sent him an email and asked him if this Turbo Express has been modified to play japanese hucards. The seller told me it was never modified, but plays them anyway. I'm thinking he is lying and has never tested it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-PC-ENGINE-GT-Turbo-Express-GRAFX-16-2-game-SF_W0QQitemZ8215428242QQcategoryZ187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow I asked that guy the same thing!  He is full of it, cuz you can tell that's an american TE.  Unless of course at one time the front part of a US TE was used to replace a broken GT Front.  Either way it smells fishy
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

MotherGunner

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 12:52:25 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
I recently bought a PC-Engine GT, when I first turned it on I was amazed how crisp and bright it was. Playing Soldier Blade was simply incredible. The audio from the speaker was low, but I could still hear sound thru the headphone port. After about a minute of playing I noticed the screen getting dark and then darker. I tried to increase the brightness but it didn't do anything. I had thought the cold cathode fluorescent burned out, so I turned it off and waited a few minutes. I turn the GT on and it was normal again, but after a mintue the screen went dark. I turned off the GT again and sent a message to D-Lite and asked him if he could fix it. That was 4 days ago and no word from him. Yesterday I decide to use the GT one more time. I put in fresh batteries and the screen was still dark, but this time after 3 minutes the GT unexpectedly turned off. I tried to turn it on again several times, but it was too late. It died.

You know my TE has the exact opposite problem,  When you turn it on, the screen is black,  the brightness knob does nothing.  After a few minutes of "warming up", You can see the game and play normally.  The screen is perfect so I did an experiment.

I swapped out the screen with my other TE.  That one has a perfect screen.

After making the connections, I turned it on, and it did the same thing!

So the problem is not the screen.  I believe it lies within the power supply.  It may be a blown cap, or some other problem.  The fact that it needs to "warm up" lends me to believe that something needs to be fully charged in order to function.

I wouldn't worry about getting another GT with a perfect screen.  Just make sure that the power works.
-MG

rolins

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 02:45:59 PM »
Quote from: "MotherGunner"

So the problem is not the screen.  I believe it lies within the power supply.  It may be a blown cap, or some other problem.  The fact that it needs to "warm up" lends me to believe that something needs to be fully charged in order to function.

I wouldn't worry about getting another GT with a perfect screen.  Just make sure that the power works.

Yeah I know. My inital plan was to buy a another working GT, and then replace its exterior case with my dead GT's near-mint casing. But they're still expensive to import one. A GT in decent condition goes for ~$75, and then add ~$40 for s&h (from japan) thats $115 minimum. Thats how much a used TE costs.

Recently I just purchased a brand new TE from D-Lite (still waiting for it in the mail). With a TE I don't have to worry about using the ac adaptor with a step down transformer. I'm hoping I'll be able get a region mod installed in the future because all games right now are japanese hucards. I guess I'll have to buy a converter.

MotherGunner

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
I know D-lite won't region mod TE's (yet : ) ).  However if there was a group that could do it, it be these guys.  Im not sure though, youd have to email them

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/index.aspx

They are based in Canada.
-MG

rolins

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 03:57:55 PM »
Quote from: "MotherGunner"
I know D-lite won't region mod TE's (yet : ) ).  However if there was a group that could do it, it be these guys.  Im not sure though, youd have to email them

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/index.aspx

They are based in Canada.

I asked them two days ago and they refused. They said installing a region mod on a TE is difficult and unreliable. I also checked with Duo_R and he refused to do it too.

MotherGunner

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 04:13:14 PM »
That sucks,  too bad D-lite won't.  I think the main reason is the lack of room.  However, some have removed the Link port to accomodate it.

I think Im gonna have to go with a mirai myself.
-MG

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 03:28:59 PM »
Note to anyone thinking of buying from :
loongsfj
on ebay. He is a scam con job.
I got a Duo-RX from him,but magically after ten days of paying he wrote me and said he didnt have one,that he had  aDuo-r,but the card slot was busted.Then he said he would give me a refund in a few days.Well,I had to file with paypal because he never did.And also,taht supposed Duo-R with the dead hu-slot,well,he listed a Duo-R that day he wrote me that.He cant be trusted.
The dead GT,if you bought it ebay,file a claim.You have 45-60 days if I remember right,and paypal covers you for 45 for sure.